“Peace & Beauty”

Ranked #1 of 2 Sierra City B&B and Inns
California
“Peace & Beauty”
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We have stayed at High Country B&B several times & found it always to be a great experience. The Inn keepers are very accommodating. Last year they went out of their way to help find a keepsake that my husband had left in our room. They were kind enough to take extra care of our friend who found that there was no place within walking distance for him to get some dinner. I have nothing but good things to say about this beautiful peaceful respite. I look forward to going back many times. I really don't know why anyone would rate it anything but the best.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toni Hastings
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our Inn and look foward to your next visit.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
California
Reviewed July 27, 2010

The setting for this B&B couldn't be more lovely. It is situated at the "V" between a creek and river. It overlooks a trout filled pond, and has a stunning view of the Sierra Buetts.
We stayed in the "On Golden Pond" room and were delighted to find it clean and well appointed.
We spent the late afternnon with our feet in the river, and enjoyed wine on the deck just outside our room.
Then......it all went south.
As I was washing my face before bed, and went to grab a washcloth, I gagged when I put it up to my nose and discovered it was horribly stinky. With soap in my eyes, I had no choice but to use it to wipe off the suds. I looked for another cloth and quickly realized my husband had used the only other one available. The smell it left on my skin was revolting.
When I climbed in to bed, I discovered the same nasty smell. Yuk! The sheets were not clean smelling either.
Trying to get comfortable on the hard lumpy bed, my husband squirmed. Each time he moved, the entire bed moved.
The pillows were so old and overstuffed one could have made four pillows out of just one. Fortunately, I had brought my own pillow so I didn't have to put my face in to the one provided.
We both found ourselves squirming. Were we being bitten? Niether one of us said anything about it at the time, but while riding home the subject came up. "Did you feel as if you were being chewed last night?', I was asked.
I woke with gummy sore eyes. Now it is possible that I was coming down with an eye infection, but I my eyes felt fine the day and evening before. Could it have been the washcloth?
Rather than attempt to wash my face and eyes again with the washcloth- I choose to shower. When I reached for a towel, it too, was the same revolting caliber. I dried off using my nightgown.
I decided during the night that there was no way I could stand another sleepless night there. We made the decision to cut our stay short. We had reservations for dinner, had arranged care for our puppy, and had looked forward to exploring the area, but the entire weekend was foiled by the dirty smelly linens. What a shame!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank reallydisappointed
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
As innkeepers who are proud of their establishment, we always do our best to accomodate the desires of our guests. When reservations are made, we ask if there are any allergies or food requests that we should be aware of. We want people to enjoy their mornings here as they gaze at the amazing views. We are also aware that guests may have certain sensitivites to fragrances or textures That is why we always ask our guests to please let us know if there is anything in their room that is not to their liking that needs changing.
Our down pillows are replaced on a regular basis. To address the complaints of the guests who have written here, shocked is the only word that comes to mind. We use mild detergents, cleaning fluids and use Bounce in the dryer. If they had mentioned to us they were bothered by something, the towls and washcloths could have easily been switched out. The fact that they found the bed "lumpy"is countered by so many of our guests asking if they can check the brand of the mattress as they loved it so much they want to purchase one when they went home.
california
Reviewed June 29, 2009

The landscape is beautiful and the room we had showcased the Sierra buttes that were truely amazing; however the caretaker of the place behaved more like a high school principal than an innkeeper. We were told that we had to remove our shoes before entering, we were served coffee at 6:00 AM, hours before I was willing to wake up on my vacation, and while the room was very clean, the residue of cleaning products permeated through the air and sent me on a sneezing frenzy. They advertise "gourmet breakfast" which included fruit drenched in sugar and bread with chocolate chips in it. What disturbed me more is that the innkeeper served breakfast in his socks and despite that fact that the weather was so glorious, we couldn't eat outside. One of the other reviewers said the place was romantic, but how are scratchy sheets and polyester pillows and an innkeeper observing your every move romantic? The water was hard so it was impossible for me to wash the shampoo out of my hair. When we returned one night after dinner, the innkeeper told us we did a good job of turning off the lights...

If you like a whole bunch of rules and not washing your hair, having to interact with big brother, sleeping in toxic interior with glorious mother nature in view, this place is for you. Not my cup of tea...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bloggiepooh
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
As our Inn is in an area of great hiking and biking activities, many of our guests arrive covered with dirt. The request to "remove shoes" is for the protection of the health of all of our guests The comment from our guests is always "no problem"- we do that at home as well. Medical prevention of shoe removal is , of course, honored. The reason we ask guests to turn the hall lights off right outside their door is olny a courtesy for the protection of the use of energy. Again, guests are not bothered by it as they do it at home.
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed June 15, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the High Country Inn, June 2006. The garden had an immaculate green lawn that was adjacent to a trout-filled lake with wonderful views of the Sierra Buttes. There was snow on most of the Buttes still and a couple of inns in the area had still not opened because of snow.
Beautiful tulips, rhododendrons and other flowers bordered the driveway and the proprietors clearly know how to look after their property and give it curbside appeal. The room was lovely - it had a new whirlpool bath with a choice of potions to make a refreshing bubble bath. It was less than 40 degrees when we came iin at night so we turned on the gas stove and warmed ourselves in front of it while the electric blanket warmed our huge king-sized bed. There were copious pillows and wonderful decor which made us feel romantic, relaxed and happy.
Tea came to the room door before the breakfast which was served promptly at 8:00 am. We shared a huge table with the other guests and it was wonderful to hear from everyone else staying there.

The breakfast was fresh and low fat, however a little too sweet. My only slight complaint is that I would have preferred unadorned fresh fruit, rather than strawberries in a chef-quality syrup. Also plain fresh bread rolls are adequate for me - but I know in the US breakfast items often are sweet. I don't need sweet loaves - albeit they were good. I should have told them my husband was a diabetic - he didn't seem to mind though - but when you are used to not using sugar the food did seem awfully sweet - putting a syrup on the side might have been an option. The 2nd day we did have a delightful muffin-shaped souffle like dish - it had eggs and artichokes in it and was refreshingly not sugary. Also although we had thermos flasks of water brought to our bedrooms mine was not filled to the top. I like masses of tea and at breakfast I would think that to complement the breakfast a huge teapot full of the delicious teas that were served - and the variety was terrific for both caffeinated and decaffeinated teas - would have graced the table well. These food comments are minor - as the cooking really was quite fine.

There were many books, including a useful book with 100 hikes in the area. We went to Tamarack Lakes the first day and to Silver Lake the second. In both cases we had to cross snow and the highest lake had ice floating on it.

1 Thank amhey
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your review from 2006 and we are happy that you enjoyed the flower gardens that are all around the Inn. We are most willing to meet any guests food desires or any other needs when we are informed by the guests and we work hard to make your visit to High Country Inn as memorable as possible..
USA
Reviewed March 23, 2006

Located in a peaceful small town, with at least one decent restaurant and great hiking opportunities. Very nice setting. Friendly host. Newly remodeled and very clean rooms & bathrooms (as of 2005). One significant negative: breakfasts are not nearly as good as elsewhere. Also, the Aspen room is directly above the Golden Pond Suite, so you may hear some noises from upstairs, if you're in the Golden Pond.
Overall impression: Not bad, a bit short of the best, but a return visit is likely.

5 Thank tradvisor
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
One of our long time returning guest just recently brought to my attention your review from May of 2006, we were not aware that it was even posted. I am sorry that you were not happy with the breakfast you had but if you had brought it to our attention during your stay with us, I would have been most happy to have provided you with a different selection that may have met your needs. As to the room you describe, I am a little confused because the Aspen Room doesn't even have another room above it, so I am not sure what room you are referring to when you said there was "noise from the room above you". I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us as much as we would like you to have. If at the time you were here, had we been aware of your concerns I know we could have provided you with an alternative room. We thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sierra City
No photo provided
My Sisters Cottage
#3 of 5 in Sierra City
Lake Davis Resort, Cabins & Motel

Been to High Country Inn? Share your experiences!