“Great Family Oriented Campground”
Review of Placerville KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shingle Springs
Placerville KOA
Ione, California
“Great Family Oriented Campground”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We decided to have our first family reunion at this campground due to the fact that we have stayed here a couple of times before in our 36' 5th wheel and they have several sites that will accommodate an RV with grass area's that accommodate tents adjoining, which we had 4 tents for a total of 14 people not including my brother's family of 8 in which he decided to rent 3 adjoining cabins which were very nice little log cabins. We arrived Friday afternoon and were greeted by the owners John & Cindy and were escorted to our site, which I was very impressed with the personal attention. This was my brother's first time at a KOA and he was very impressed with the cabins, once camp was set up we decided to go for the buffet at Red Hawk Casino, which is only 1/2 mile away the office staff called the casino and they sent a shuttle to pick us up. We had a fantastic dinner and we were brought back to the campground via the casino shuttle. We decided to stay at the KOA due to we went white water rafting the next morning and my wife and a few other chickens decided they would rather visit Apple Hill and do some shopping downtown main St. in Placerville, so everything was only 10-20 min away for all of us. We used the swimming pool which was very clean and they also had a hot tub, which came in handy after a day of rafting. There is a common fire pit available to campers that the owners supply the wood free of charge, so we bought the ingredients for smorres from there well stocked general store, it seemed that they carried everything that you would typically forget when it comes to planning meals, etc. Other amenities included adult and child racing tricycles that you can rent, there is a huge play structure and swings for younger kids, not to mention a miniature golf course that appeared to be new and had some challenging holes, even some that were harder than some of the greens at Apple Mountain Golf course that I had the opportunity to play. It was one of the most scenic golf courses I have played in central California, except Pebble Beach/Spy Glass. There is a fishing pond with a beautiful island in the middle, fishing was closed due to end of the season and the water level being low, but I could literally see the fish, I'll be sure to come earlier in the year next year, because the pictures I seen of the fish being caught they were in the 3-5lbs range. I'm not sure why this island and pond was referred to as a mud hole it’s the type of place that you would grab a book and sit under one of the big shade trees and relax. Sunday morning the owners and their family make breakfast for the entire camp inside the pavilion. $4 gets you, eggs made to order with bacon, sausage, toast, juice or coffee, or pancake breakfast, and assortment of cereals, this was great it saved me from cooking for 20 people and enabled me to make my 10:15 tee time at Apple Mountain. Other amenities I noticed before I run out of room, private shower rooms, clean restrooms, laundry facility's, game room, fully stocked store with food, drinks, RV supplies dump station, free Wi-Fi, Goats that can be pet, ducks, geese, full grass dog run, swings, volleyball court, horse shoes and basketball. Not to mention that the pavilion was available to us for a BBQ and it was equipped with sinks for food prep and clean up and there were 12 plus picnic tables and electrical outlets for blender and homemade Ice cream machines that we brought. To end this review I’ll say not real sure why this one person who took photos of only negative staged photos, therefor I took the time to take some pictures of the facilities through my perspective of this campground. My family and I really enjoyed our stay here and will come back again next year. Hope my review, photos and info help you to have a great getaway, after all isn’t camping one of the best ways to bring family’s together.

Room Tip: The owners are very accommodating, and if you desire a certain type of site I'm sure the will be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JWADS

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
California
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We took our four youngest grandsons for a weekend get away. We were in our 5th wheel. The staff was very nice and friendly. We made our decision for this location based on their web site, web site photos, etc....keeping in mind that this weekend was for the boys.

This KOA looks like it was probably a very nice place back when it was at it's peak. However, we observed a campground that was in need of some serious maintenance that has obviously been deferred for years. There was fencing and railing delapadated and falling down, woodwork that hasn't saw a coat of stain/sealer probably since it was built. Landscaping overgrown onto the sidewalks and pool deck with much of it dying or dead in large patches. While it looks like it had an adequate irrigation system at one time it was obvious by the large areas of dead, brown or now non-existent turf areas that it's been neglected for years.

I'm not sure how they can keep getting the prices that they charge considering the neglect of the landscape maintenance. They have to be relying solely on the location for that. We will not be returning to this campground or referring any of our friends.

They do have a nice kids playground and it's in the shade. A "petting zoo" that exists of three goats. A fishing pond that looks more like a mud hole and the water was green and nasty looking. Some of the KOA cabins looked like they hadn't seen a coat of stain/sealer since they were installed years ago while a few others looked as though they were only a few years old.

The pool water appeared to be clean however, the tile was very dirty.....actually nasty. We also noticed tile missing. There was vegitation overgrown on the pool deck and walkways as well as at other locations in the park. Somebody dumped a few loads of lawn clippings at the edge of the pool and it's just sitting there in a pile of leaves and rubbish, decaying.

The hot tub is closed to everybody below 18 (even if there's adult supervison) and that's a nice feture however, for some odd reason the hot tub doesn't open until 4:00 p.m. As adults we would have appreciated it early in the mornings so that was disapointing for us.

There are rotted fence posts, rails, siding, etc. throughout the park in various locations. Just further signs of much deferred maintenance and neglect. Just be aware that the photos on their web site must have been taken many years ago when this campground was new. I didn't even recognize the lodge (store/office) once we arrived until we returned home and I looked at the picture again. That building also is in much need of a good pressure wash and a coat of stain/sealer. A little maint. could go a long, long way to enhance the appearance of this campground.

Even though the park is located in a beautiful, natural setting, it's been drawn down a few levels by the placement of chessy plastic flowers in key areas such as the entrance/exit and in front the kids playground.

Crossing the bridgeway over to the fishing island was an adventure in itself. I could actually feel just how loose the boards were under every step, crossing over the mud hole on the bridge.

The RV sites are right next to the freeway and while it's not as noticable during the day......at night the freeway is very noisy, even inside an RV that's closed up and the A/C running.

Other items were more of a nuscience issue rather than specifically related to this campground. Our grandsons were constantly stepping on stickers, getting them in their hands and the b-b-q was full of cigarette butts upon our arrival (even smell a cigarette butt burning? I can't imagine what 20 or 30 would have been like).

In closing I'd just like to say that it's obvious to this writer that the maint. dept. doesn't take any pride in their work and it's obvious that supervison is lacking. Other than some basic hand tools, pressure washer, stain/sealer and screws nuts & bolts the only thing that's needed is somebody that has an eye for detail and takes pride in their labor and it could be brought back to it's once former beauty in just a season or two.

We've all heard "a picture speaks a thousand words" and so I took the liberty of taking a few. These photos were taken in Sept. 2012.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JCZhome
Pacifica, California, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I based my stay here on this description: Tent w/water - These shady sites are nestled in a natural setting in the back away from the highway. When I arrived I checked into site 71. It was 97 degrees out at 1pm (check in time is noon). My site had about 3 leaves worth of shade. And the faucet was not available because they had a landscaping hose connected to it. I went to the office and talked to them and they said "oh none of our tent sites have shade". That's the best shade we offer. So clearly I was unprepared. A $30 stay turned into much more because I had to go buy myself other items to make the stay bearable in that heat. I could have rented a hotel room instead. The amenities are ok (standard KOA fare)- the staff is friendly and the bathrooms & showers are clean. I just felt like their description of what I was going to get was really erroneous.

Room Tip: If you are going in a tent or trailer during the summer & you do not have A/C you better call &a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pam W
Spanaway, Washington
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice,pleasant, and affordable. I stayed 5 days, quite, clean and real comfortable beds with nice and plenty pillows. Coffee 24/7, and a nice breakfast meal. The staff is nice, and if any problem they respond quickly.

Room Tip: Even number rooms are to the inside and have a balcony and are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bruce P
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here multiple times and the staff has always been very friendly. The grounds are well-kept and amenities are plentiful, including a good laundry facility, pool, WiFi, cable AND a FREE shuttle service to and from the Red Hawk Casino. Stay and play at the park, head east to Tahoe or enjoy an evening of gaming and feasting at Red Hawk.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express El Dorado Hills Hotel
Gold Country Inn
Gold Country Inn
#5 of 5 in Placerville

Been to Placerville KOA? Share your experiences!