“Great Little Gourmet Shop”
Review of DePalo & Sons

DePalo & Sons
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I love this place! They have a lot of different gourmet items that you can't find anywhere else. I enjoy looking at the different gourmet items that they get in.

The wine in this shop is amazing. They have some excellent bottles of wine in vintages that you don't normally see. The wine available here is better than ANY of the local fine dinning establishments.

1  Thank TunaSlayer

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We came into town for an unhappy event & arrived ahead of schedule. So we decided to research a place to have dinner that evening. (I was checking another very popular site to locate such a restaurant.) Meanwhile, my husband pulled into the area that DePalo & Sons is at so we could take a break & pick up some water & fruit. While walking around we discovered the the deli in back. Given that there were plenty of folks ordering, we decided to ignore our research of local restaurants & try a take-out deli order. Perfect!! Husband had the turkey (exactly like you'd make post T-day) & I had a tri-tip bbq. Wonderful. No need for that restaurant we were considering....and we ate our next evening's meal from DePalo (eschewing the restaurant at our hotel, or elsewhere -- why risk disappointment on such a short trip?). The folks helping us were nice as can be at the deli counter, letting us know to take our time while trying to decide on what to order from their lovely menu. Any trip we take down to the area, we will make a point to stop by DePalo & Sons again!

Reviewed December 27, 2011

They have a great selection of pasta's, hot entrees, desserts and sandwiches. A bit pricey but worth it. No seating inside.

1  Thank keybjones
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We ran across this place passing through Pismo and loved it. The food is well prepared and fresh. The owners are friendly, helpful and know the local wines.

What was most impressive to us is the father prepares fresh mozzarella every morning at 4:00am. We took some home and I rank it among some of the best I have ever had.

This is not so much a restaurant as a deli with take out and a couple sidewalk seats. With that said I will return if we find ourselves back in the area.

1  Thank BostonMMarion
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This is a deli located in a tourist area that should have a sign out front saying "Locals Only - We Hate Travelers." I ordered a sandwich off their menu board - the listed ingredients included mayonnaise, so I asked the young woman taking my order to "hold the mayo, please." "We NEVER put mayo on that sandwich" she hissed. I pointed out the menu board, and again she said, in an even louder and more hostile tone "WE NEVER PUT MAYO ON THAT SANDWICH!" That was fine, because that's exactly the way I wanted the sandwich, but her reaction seemed a little odd. My husband and I paid for our sandwiches and drove a few miles to a picnic area, opened the sandwich box, and surprise - the sandwich was slathered with mayo. We took the sandwich back to the store, showed her the mayo-drenched bread, and asked her why she told us that they never put mayonnaise on the sandwich. "I never said that" she said. She turned to her co-workers behind the deli counter and stage-whispered "Stupid tourists." She was laughing, and our sense was that this was an ongoing prank to entertain the deli staff. Needless to say, we'll never go back. There are lots of other wonderful places to eat in the area without the bad attitude and the bad food.

3  Thank Tubbytoast