“Don't order the clam chowder”
Review of The Trading Post

The Trading Post
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Shaver Lake
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Santa Clarita, California
“Don't order the clam chowder”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went on a Friday night and our lodge said we would need to make reservations which they did for us. They called at 5:30 and the earliest we could get in was 8pm. The place was packed and VERY noisy. The wait staff were extremely busy and were like ants, they were everywhere, but the service was extremely slow.

Friday night they had clam clowder, which we love. So, where were the clams? It was actually a extremely thick potato soup that had too much flour in it and no clams. The soup comes with dinner so if they are serving it, pass. IHOP has a much better clam chowder!

We ordered the shrimp cocktail that came with 8 large shrimps in a large tall dish. They were pretty good. The cocktail sauce was tangy and in the bottom of the dish was more cut up shrimp in the cocktail sauce. The cost was high $12, however. We also ordered the scampi and rack of lamb. There were 8 shrimps and was very good. Also came with fresh veggies that were excellent and rice pilaf. Cost $19. The lamb was overlooked and just okay. Also came with garlic mashed potatoes and the fresh veggies. My husband does not care for garlic mashed and asked for a sub of baked potato which the waitress said was fine. However when the meal came there was mashed potatoes on it and the waitress said they were out of baked potatoes. So she brought rice pilaf instead. However the table next to us was served about 5 minutes later and they all baked potato. Cost about $20.

This pace may be better on a week day instead of the weekend.

But as others have said, Shaver Lake is not a draw for fine restaurants, so you have to take what is there. And yes the rest rooms ate outside!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank XK140NUT

Watsonville, California
“Wonderful patio under the redwoods.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Charming place with fast friendly service. Ate outside under redwoods. Small menu but food was tasty.
Had shrimp tacos & friends had fish (halibut) tacos. Small handmade flour tortillas very good. Perfect lunch while on the road.

Visited July 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Good food, good service, classic rustic mountain atmosphere”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Shaver Lake is a small mountain resort area with very few options for dining. Luckily, The Trading Post is here. We like this place because you can get good food at a reasonable price in an historic building right here in the mountains. The steaks are great. Homemade soups delicious. They serve dinner only. Check the days and times open. There is a bar. And the bar top itself is an original slab of sugar pine from the heyday of logging when enormous sugar pines covered Pine Ridge. The restaurant is family owned and run.

Shaver Lake is not the Berkshires (thank goodness!). The Trading Post is not pretentious. You don't have to dress up to eat. Mountain people, hikers, campers, families, cabin dwellers, work crews and more can be comfortable here.

I might have given this a 5 instead of a 4. And I am not exactly sure why I didn't except for the fact it isn't an organic, gluten-free restaurant. However, they do consult with the chef on gluten-free choices. And the food is always fresh and well-prepared. I highly recommend The Trading Post.

• Visited June 2013
Visalia, California
“Great food for reasonal price in a resort town”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food is great and service was good too. I went in the summer and didn't need to use the restroom so that was not an issue. I have eaten here several times and have always been pleased. This is a resort/vacation area and is at least an hour away from any services. Dispite that a fine meal can be had for $20. My wife and I had 2 full meals and two cocktails and the bill was less than $50. The meals include both soup and salad. The spinach salad was as good as any I have ever had anywhere. I had fish and it was done properly. I have had the ribs before and they were great. The closest big city is Fresno, I doubt I could have that meal in Fresno for that amount of money. Yes it is an old building, and if you put a marble on the floor it will roll. But I will take this place over many any day. A seat by the real fire is a treat in the winter time too. Take your boots in case you need to use the bathroom, this is not a place for heels.

• Visited July 2013
Clovis, California
“Nice Steakhouse”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have eaten here on a regular basis over the last 8 years. We generally love this place. Shaver is a small town, and the dining options are few. This place is a rustic, old building with a fireplace and fairly small seating area. Small bar, too, often full of locals. Casual decor is comfortable. Family owned and operated. We almost always get a reservation, as the place can fill up fast, usually with many locals. The servers are usually great, and the food is quite good. Prices are quite reasonable, especially considering the lack of competition. The steaks and prime rib are very good. The seafood are also surprisingly good.

• Visited May 2013