“Relaxed and enjoyable”

Shaver Lake Village Hotel
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have stayed there before for work purposes as this trip was, but I noticed all the upgrades they have done. Rooms have new beds, larger refrigerators than I remembered, good TV's & internet service. My first part of the stay was with a co-worker in the Bears Den Cabin, then I moved to the other rooms in the Motel rooms 2,4,6.as my job ran long causing me to check out daily Each room comfortable and clean. The staff and neighboring businesses were fun to talk with and shoot the breeze. I was impressed when I called their listed number, but lost my signal due to my location, but these folks took the effort to call me back to set up another night. I enjoyed the evenings watching folks sit around the campfires and enjoying the evenings.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Rocking chairs on the porch,seating areas with swings (for adults),fire pits and big trees...ya gotta love it-so relaxing!!. I somehow thought that we'd be ON Shaver Lake,or close enough to see it or walk to go boating.We only stayed for 1 night on the way to a more remote location,but I could see using these cabins as headquarters for day trips exploring the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank eusnna
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The people here are wonderful just like the whole community. The room was also quaint and all that we could ask for for $75 on a summer weekend night. The only "but" is that all of the regular cabins were rented out and since we were so last minute we had to take all that was available...The Bunkhouse. It has a detached shared bathroom, which is a bit inconvenient. Definitely would stay again, but just book sooner to ensure a room with an attached bathroom. Loved the grounds though! The fire pits and swings were perfect to watch the sunset with a bottle of wine before we walked to dinner.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bathroom, do not book the Bunkhouse.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristi M
Kevin T, Owner at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you Kristi for your review. It was unfortunate we were unable to provide you a standard room or cabin........July just happens to be our busiest month. It is always best to try to book the rooms online in advance as we are a small hotel with limited rooms. As stated on the website, the Bunkhouses are one step above camping requiring your own linens and bedding and having a seperate bathroom unlike the hotel and cabins with their private bathrooms. The Bunkhouses do have heat, ceiling fan, free wifi, flat screen tv, blueray player, private deck, outdoor barbeque, and a continental breakfast though.........so a nice step above camping. We are starting our outdoor movies this week so hopefully you will come back and enjoy our Forest Theater!!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Not much choice in Shaver lake, but this "hotel" is better avoided: rooms are dated with ants in the bathroom and a spider in the bed. No AC, just a fan that works only with the lights on.To top it all the pillows were musty and room service not done everyday.

Room Tip: Avoid. Instead drive back 20 miles towards Fresno to find a decent motel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AGJ1066
Kevin T, Owner at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

At first glance at the caption, I thought this may be a positive review. Our goal is to provide each guest with a "cabin like" experience in the beautiful Sierra Mountains. This guests comment regarding our rooms being dated is partially correct. The main hotel was originally constructed in the early 1940's with all interior walls of pine tongue and groove. However, all of our furnishings in the rooms are less than one year old. We purposely distress the furnishings and find antiques to complete the rustic feel. All appliance including the flat screen televisions, IHome radios, blue ray players, microwaves, coffee makers, blow dryers and refrigerators were purchased within the last 12 months. Since our pillows are also new, I assume the guest did not like the smell of the laundry detergent. All of our bedding is cleaned by "Aramark".
In addition to the deer, bear, eagles, coyotes, squirrels, osprey and hummingbirds, you may also have the opportunity to see ants, spiders, lizards and bees in the mountains. We do not invite these guests into our rooms, however when food is left out for an extended period of time, it is possible to have an unwanted visitor.
Our fans do work independently of our lights.......but do require pulling a separate chain on the fan. I'm sorry this guest was not informed of this. Also, as our policy clearly states, "we value our guests privacy. On multiple nights stay, we will not enter the guests room to clean unless requested to do so either at the front desk or by hanging the maid service sign on the door". There are certain guest who specifically do not want us to enter their rooms. We are always willing to clean a guests room at any time.
I was personally working the front desk when this guest came into breakfast on checkout day. He was very nice and pleasant when he voiced his concern regarding the ants. After breakfast he informed me of the "musty pillows". Nothing was mentioned of the fan, dated rooms or lack of housekeeping service. I am sorry he did not appreciate our mountain experience. As he mentioned, I am also convinced he would have been much more comfortable in a modern hotel in the city. For the record however.........Fresno/Clovis are 40 miles from Shaver Lake........not 20.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were looking for a place that would sleep 4. The Shaver Lake Village Hotel offered a number of options and we chose the Antelope Room.

The room opens off the large deck at the front of the hotel. The downstairs is a large open room with a shower only bathroom off the kitchen. If you're planning on staying in town, the kitchen is a FULL kitchen. You'll be able to cook to your heart's content.

Bathroom: As mentioned, it's a shower only unit. The shower is small but adequate. bathroom is downstairs. It's the ONLY bathroom. Thank God there weren't 6 people staying the night.

Bedroom 1 has 2 queens and a queen futon couch. Bedroom 1 has a dbl bed and 2 bunkbeds.

Wall heaters in the bedroom are very good. Quiet and effective. Don't crank them up too high or you'll wake up in a baking hot room.

Leave a light on in the bathroom downstairs. The stairs are difficult in the dark.

This place was great. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone, but I haven't seen any of the other rooms.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank eddiepat62
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Wow, what's cool find! For anyone looking for rest, relaxation, clean air (with the faint whiff of pines!) and blue skies, check out the Shaver Lake Lodge. We made the easy drive up from Fresno to find a world away from the valley's heat and traffic and questionable air quality.

The lodge features a small hotel, bunkhouses and charming themed cabins that smack of " the old days" with all the features and amenities of a first class resort, inc. blue ray/flat screens (as in 2 in our room) microwave, refrigerator and free wi-fi. Our "cowboy cabin" was decorated with a plethora of very cool cowboy accoutrements, from old photos, to cow horns, spurs and more. The "Bear Den" is all about bears, of course.

The staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful, suggesting where to eat, where to hike, tips on a a few movies to borrow (free) and setting us up for the included generously presented bigger-than-continental breakfast. They set up a bonfire for us in one of the pits that sit in the beautifully landscaped and decorated garden grounds, which also feature a dizzying choice of seats and swings.

The room was clean, charming, quiet and comfortable

Room Tip: Pick from a fun choice of rustic country themes.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhonely
Kevin T, Owner at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so glad you had a good time!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

It is beautiful in the mountains with snow on the ground and the sun shinning. The people are nice, but I wish they would change out the shower curtains now and then. There is something in the water that stains and it makes plumbing and shower curtains look grody. The walls are thin and you can hear coughing, showering, and other noises from next door! Nice reminder to me to keep it down! I like coming for the peace and quiet, the walk to the village—very friendly people. I gave it four stars for the management and for the area it is your best bet.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the only room I have occupied.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Shaver Lake has iron in our water.......which although is good for you......it leaves a brownish film on everything it encounters. We do change our shower curtains regularly because of this and must have overlooked this room. Currently we are investigating the possibility of putting rock on the walls of the showers (like the HoneyMoose Cabin and our community rest room) to alleviate this concern. Last week we removed all the front doors to the hotel and installed new solid oak doors with new hardware to help with the noise problem. I personally stayed in Room 3 that night and I think it is now more quite. I do have one question for you Sylvia.......when you rated our hotel in December, you gave us a "5" for location. This rating you downgraded us to a "4" for location.......we didn't move the hotel......what happened????...lol.

Been to Shaver Lake Village Hotel? Share your experiences!