“Do NOT make reservations here!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shasta Lake
Holiday Harbor Resort and Marina
San Francisco, CA
“Do NOT make reservations here!”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We made reservations to stay in the RV park here for two nights. Unfortunately, we had to cancel at the last minute. I thought they might keep the first night's rental, but they kept the money for both nights! They will only issue a refund if they can re-rent your spot for the full time that you reserved. They admitted that would be unlikely. So, this may be a nice park. I will never know.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank JGHM

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We visited the campground at Holiday Harbor for 3 years straigt from 2006 - 2008 and loved every visit. It is true the reservoir level drops substantially from the beginning of the season to the end of the season - it is, after all, a reservoir. We stayed in spaces 4, 6, & 7. One year we thought we would like to back up to the water and chose space #23, but we ended up moving back over to space 7 after trying to squeeze in a 29' trailer with slide - not a good fit. The campground has since changed their policy and no longer allows slide-outs in spaces 23-25, which is a good thing.

The park is full hook-ups, some shade if you pick the right space, and requires a reservation months in advance if you want a shaded spot. Shade is good because it gets very hot in the peak summer months at Shasta. There is a great swimming hole you can access between spaces 14 & 15. Space 14 is an excellent spot for shade and roominess, but you have to contend with the foot traffic accessing the lake path. Once you get to the swim spot, there is a floating dock you can swim out to and sun on or use as your diving board. Although the water level is low and requires you to take quite the hike to reach it by the end of summer, it is also much warmer than early on in the season. So it's a trade-off. You either get a full reservoir with really cold water or a warm reservoir with really low water. I'll take this place either way!

You can use the dock out to the boat slips for a little fishing spot in the evenings - nice.

We rented a patio boat for a couple days and took day cruises to enjoy more of the lake. You can also get to the Shasta Caverns very quickly (it's on the same road as Holiday Harbor). And if you want to take a short jaunt north, you can visit Macarthur Burney Falls (spectacular!) or the upper, middle, & lower McCloud Falls. You may also want to head to Redding and visit Turtle Bay Museum, the sun dial bridge, and the arbortorium. Or you can always take a quick trip to the south end of the reservoir and tour the amazing Shasta Damn - that is a great tour.

Bottom line - Holiday Harbor campground is an excellent home base for those of you interested in sight-seeing the area while being close to water and maybe using the toys available at Holiday Harbor to have a little fun on the water (campers get 15% off the 'toy box').

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank Gabrielle T
oregon
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We have been renting or staying at Holiday Harbor for approximately 6 years now and keep returning...while it is true they may have the newest or best looking houseboats, just check out the prices at the other marinas or companies. We have always had excellent service, no surprises and if help was needed they were right there....Give them a chance and you may be plesantly surprised.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank rickster_9
Lakehead, California
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Do not ever take a houseboat trip on a tight budget.I booked the admiral houseboat because it was the only boat I could afford.I surely got what a paid for. The admiral was $600 for three days (which is not very much for a houseboat on lake shasta)but I wished I would have just gone to Las Vegas I would have gotten more for my money.I will just keep this short day two one of my guest took a five minute shower which somehow managed to fill our tank.The dirty water came back up the shower and up the sink.We traveled back to the marina and spent two hours finding someone to drain our water tank without even as much as a sorry.On the morning of day three when we set off for the day the engine broke and we had to be towing back to the marina.We decided to leave a day early and I will never go back to holiday harbor.I encourage anyone to go to lake shasta it is an amazing place.If you are going to go on a houseboat don't be cheap and if you have to be cheap just stay at la quinta in redding you can drive to the lake within 20 minutes.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank pabstlover
Northern CA
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I rented my first Houseboat with two other couples for a 3 night, four day trip on Shasta Lake. We all were happy with the experiance, and plan to go again with "Holiday Harbor." I read some bad reviews about the Business- and I have to say "don't listen to them," and that the boat was clean, and gave us no problems during operation, plus the people who worked there were friendly and helpful. I don't know what some people expect from an operation like Holiday Harbor, but I did find it was a good value for how much I paid for the excersion. The only thing that disappointed me was that I did not stay to enjoy another day swimming and fishing in a nice private cove I parked in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Sequim, Wa.
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Like a lot of other reviewers here, I am ranting about what we were NOT told when we booked our stay, even after careful questioning.
We planned on two nights in the RV park so we could see the caverns (excellent) and enjoy the lake. We were NOT told the lake drops a foot a day beginning in May and that we were booking after two years of drought so the lake would be somewhere around 150 below the campground. However we WERE offered a "lakeside" RV spot! We would have parked, literally, at the edge of a 150 foot precipice. Fortunately we booked a shaded spot so our dog could remain comfortable while we visited the caverns. It was over 100 steps down to the banks of the lake, and at least 30 more feet down to the muddy, algae ridden water; the lake had extremely muddy/dirty banks since it was exposed lake bed. The campground itself had that run-down look, was extremely dusty and had dirty bathrooms. The campsite next to ours had exposed wires sticking out of the ground. Probably not live but who knows...
At the Marina we thought we'd take a jet ski out for an hour and give the kids a thrill. Maybe we are a little naive, but we WERE told it was $85 per hour so we assumed they could be rented BY THE HOUR. We were NOT told there was a TWO HOUR MINIMUM and a $500 deposit. However there was a moment of exasperating humor when the gal at the counter pointed to a sign on a door BEHIND THE COUNTER and said, "Yep - says right here - two hour minimum!"
We pulled out a day early and we will NEVER return to Lake Shasta. We envisioned a day of lakeside fun and the kids splashing in the water. Lake Shasta is for folks who want to spend the day floating around on houseboats, for whatever reason because it looks downright dull to me, in what I would call less than attractive surroundings. The entire lake is surrounded by an ugly ring of exposed lake bed, the result of yearly and unavoidable evaporation that as I said before begins with the lake in the seasonal high point in May and dropping a foot a day until the rains return in the fall. The lake was SO LOW that, when we asked if there was ANYWHERE we could take the kids swimming (10 and 12 years old) we were met with a blank stare and absolutely NO recommendations. I wouldn't go back to Holiday Harbor or Lake Shasta if they gave me a free spot.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Jim_Sequim
Palm Springs
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Holiday Harbor is a large operation renting small to large houseboats. We arrived and the check-in process only took 15 minutes. It would have been nice if they had mentioned that the lake drops over 1 foot each day so we would not have had to dig out the first morning but other than that all went well. Then the "fun" began. You need to be prepared to fill up carts that they provide with everything you bring and take them down a dirt road, across a ramp and then down a dock to your boat that is 200 yards away. Unfortunately the carts did not have enough air in the tires and some had no air at all! This is a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.

We did have a minor problem our first morning out on the lake with our batteries and they were very fast arriving and fixing the issue. The group providing mid-week pump out and fueling was very efficient.

The boats themselves are nice but heavily used, worn and not clean. No big deal but know what you are getting for the money you are spending. We got a "deal" and spent under $4K for a week for an Empress.

We would definitely go back to Shasta but would look for a cleaner, newer boat next time.

If you do go, check out the Caverns.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Redding
Ramada Limited Redding
Ramada Limited Redding
#26 of 36 in Redding

Been to Holiday Harbor Resort and Marina? Share your experiences!