My husband and I were fortunate to snap up the last room at the Avalon B&B the weekend that we were in Sebastopol. We were one of three couples staying at the Avalon that weekend and the only couple who hadn't stayed there before. We stayed in the Wizard's room, which had a steam shower and it's own outdoor seating area. The room was very quiet and peaceful. Avalon, itself was ~5 min drive from downtown.
Hilary was a gracious and thoughtful host and a fabulous cook. She made us a pesto parmesan scone, veggie quiche, and fresh fruit for breakfast. (I'm drooling just thinking about that breakfast!). On Sunday, we had to leave early and Hilary got up early and made us ginger muffins to take with us. So thoughtful!
We've been to wine country many times, but had never visited Sebastopol. It is a charming town with several good restaurants, a cute downtown for shopping, and very friendly residents. By chance, we were visiting the weekend of the annual Gravenstein Apple Fair, which was definitely worth the price of admission: think county fair, but on a smaller scale and with better crafts.
A few recommendations for places to visit while in Sebastopol:
- Hopmunk Tavern - Live music in the evenings, great selection of beer and wine, and good food
- Peter Lowells - Fresh, seasonal food that is locally sourced
- Claypool Cellars - Cute winery inside of a train car inside of a warehouse. Great Pinot!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Let Avalon BandB Surround You with Luxury and Hospitality Venture into California's beloved Sonoma Wine Country, 35 miles north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. Feel the change in air as you drive west toward Sebastopol and the gorgeous hills and valleys of the Russian River Valley with farms, forests and vineyards of famously fun and fabulous West Sonoma County. Discover the bohemian town of Sebastopol with charming restaurants and shops. A short five miles from Sebastopol, cross the wooden bridge and enter the enchanted land of Avalon Inn. Nestled in the majestic redwoods, you will be surrounded with luxury and hospitality at our wonderful, secluded B&B. ... more less