“Delicious, Simple Quality Food- Consistently Bad Service”
Review of The Henweigh Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Henweigh Cafe
sebastopol, ca
“Delicious, Simple Quality Food- Consistently Bad Service”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I just want to love this place so much. It's local. Great quality ingredients. Decent prices. The owner (I think it's the owner at the stove) seems to really care what's going on around him. But time after time after time, we get just awful (though friendly and apologetic) service. Each time we are sitting there with our order messed up, or waiting forever or with food and no utensils, we ask ourselves why we go. And then we go back.

Great burgers. Good Pot Pie. Great for breakfast. Fresh Ingredients.

Please, Henweigh, hire more or better servers. They've all got the "nice" part down really well. It's the actual serving that they all seem to need to work on.

• Visited July 2012

Forestville, California
“Wednesday Night $5 Hamburgers”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Lots of people crowd into Henweigh on Friday night for their hamburgers. The food, overall, is good. Like Willow Wood Market in Graton better.

Visited May 2012
Northern California
“When someone asks you “What’s a Henweigh?” the answer is a Sonoma County gem!”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

As part of Sonoma County Restaurant Week, we started this ‘try a new restaurant’ week with our first, but it won’t be our last, visit to Henweigh Café – located next to Mom’s Apple Pie on Gravenstein Highway. Each participating restaurant offers a prix fixe menu at one of three price points: $19, $29 or $39. Henweigh Cafe’s price was $19 –the low price point does not in any way equate to the food quality.

My wife ordered the Mixed Green Salad, The Henweigh Classic Chicken Pot Pie (their signature dish), and the house made Bananas Foster Bread Pudding for the dessert course. She very much liked the chicken pot pie – although you need to wait awhile for it to cool at your table – and was very happy with the delicious bread pudding – which did not contain raisins that she dislikes.

I ordered the Cup of New England Clam Chowd-ah, Wild Alaskan Salmon Burger, and also had the bread pudding. As a point of personal preference, I thought the chowd-ah had a bit too much onion, but I am a Mid-West boy and bow to the chef’s Boston background when it comes to cream style chowd-ah. The salmon burger brought back memories of my long ago youth when my Mother made salmon patties on those meatless Fridays of old. I found adding a little mustard made the already delicious ‘burger’ even better for my pallet. The burger was served with fries, a dill pickle spear and cole slaw. The fires were great, the dill pickle excellent – but the slaw won the blue ribbon! Not sure what the chef does with this humble vegetable mix, but it was delicious – I even ate the piece of lettuce upon which it was served. The chowd-ah and burger filled me, so I took the bread pudding home and enjoyed it a few hours later as another taste treat.

While we were dining, the owner/chef stopped at all the tables to inquire about the food – a nice touch that does not happen that often in restaurants.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank LostLen
Northern California
“How much does a henweigh? About 3.5 pounds....”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Fish and chips, burgers, ribs, chicken pot pie.... and a cute little patio if the weather is nice. If the weather is really cold, use the restroom before you get there. You have to go outside through the cute patio to the john. Nice earth saving neighboring diners often turn off the heater they have in the restrooms when they leave, so it is a bit chilly. Luckily, right inside the restaurant, they have a wood stove to bring you back to temp. The food is wonderful, the ambiance is lovely. Just don't freeze your behind :-)

Graton, CA
“Fine food; if it were a fancier place, they'd raise the prices”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I have to admit that every time I take someone here (my wife included) they look at the name and ask me, "So what's a henweigh?" This appeals to my inner Groucho Marx. The place looks a bit like a roadside burger joint, but the food is much better --- even though Wednesdays are "$5 burger night" and you may have to wait half an hour for a table. I've tried half a dozen things here, and they were all very good, especially his onion soup. The kitchen is open, smack in the middle and highly visible, which I like. Being next door to "Mom's Apple Pies" probably means they don't sell a lot of desserts, but for all I know they might be good; I usually stroll next door for a slice of Mom's exemplary apple pie, however.

• Visited June 2011