“Budget Hotel just outside the main town”

Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Hotel has recently been renovated judging by the bathrooms and furniture. Free parking and breakfast all add to the value. We had a great nights sleep in a large, quiet, comfortable room on the 3rd floor. You can drive into the old town in about 5-10 minutes but you can also walk along a pedestrian/cycle path which takes between 30-40 minutes depending on how energetic you are. About half way along you can cut through the sand dunes onto the beach and walk into town that way, a much nicer view. If you stay in the old town you are going to pay $60-80 per night more for the pleasure

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dave T

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The buildings are not clean in the hallways, the room inside in scimpy, the rate was double the worth of the offering. Pass this one...friendly front desk lady, but it stops there....the elevator is dodgy and the smell outside is unbearable....

• Stayed: September 2013
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Oscarsaunderson ,

I am really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do our best to exceed our guest expectations and it's obvious we failed in doing so. I will share your review with the rest of the staff and management team. We appreciate our guest reviews and thank you for taking the time.

Stacy L

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The ladies on reception were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is an older style motel style. We had rooms on the 2nd floor at the back with a view of the pool and car park. No noise at night. Rooms were very clean, bathroom good and the beds comfortable. It was disappointing however that we did not have a fridge. Breakfast was good however the dining area was very very full with nowhere to sit either in the main dining area or the overflow. Breakfast staff were also very efficient and pleasant. Pool area very pleasant although it did not catch the sun when we were there and always seemed to be in the shade.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stopped for one night as part of our SF-LA road trip. We arrived late, check in was easy. The rooms are ok. Practical, clean. Nothing too fancy. Breakfast was the same. Practical but nothing too fancy. They served pastries, eggs, yoghurt, pancakes, cheese, juice. Location was practical enough for our purpose. Close enough to the highway, and practical to see the aquarium.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Sara S,

Thank you very much for leaving us feedback about your visit. I am happy you found our location to be convenient and you had a good check in experience. It is always nice to receive commendable comments from our valued guests like you.

Please see us soon if you're back in the area!

Kind Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed for one night traveling up the coast for San Fransisco. Service was friendly and welcoming. The rooms seemed very motel style but were well refurbished and kitted out. Great location for road connections too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed overnight last Sunday at the Holiday Inn Express-Seaside after a long day at the Monterey Jazz Festival. The property is conveniently located off of Highway 1 and I arrived shortly before 11:00 p.m.; check-in was a breeze. As I exchanged pleasantries with the friendly, front desk staffer, I noticed off to the right of the lobby a room which looked to be the breakfast dining area. I made the comment: "Oh-- I see that's where we have breakfast." The clerk explained that the breakfast dining area was actually around the corner from the lobby and that this room to the side of the lobby was the breakfast "over-flow" room. This is something that you guest will want to remember if the breakfast area is full with no place to sit. I mention this because I've read several of the reviews below mine complaining of a full breakfast room. And speaking of the actual breakfast area, it's as spacious as any other I've seen at a HI Express property. The difference is that this hotel is larger than the average Express, having five stories of rooms so you can see how the breakfast area can get crowded if the hotel is full or near full. Staying on the breakfast topic, I will say that the Holiday Inn properties have some of the best coffee I've ever tasted :-) Whether you have the Fancy Gourmet or French Roast blend-- it's all good! Going back to the room... mine was attractive and tastefully furnished with a king-size bed. However, I have notice that the king-size beds at the Holiday Inn Express properties are on the firm side, firmer than I like. The queen and full-size beds I've slept in have been not as firm and way more comfortable. No two Holiday Inn Express I've stayed in, and there have been at least a dozen, have looked the same. This property is the largest Express I've stayed at and the first one I've seen with a swimming pool. My room was located on the third floor and faced Highway 1 which wasn't a problem for me. However, for those of you that would have a problem with a room facing the highway will want to keep this in mind and request a room on the backside of the property.

Room Tip: This property is right off scenic Highway 1. If you think noise is going to be a problem, you'l...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We are good customers of Holiday Inn: easy, cheap, room for 4.... But avoid this one. Apparently they forgot that being so close to a highway requires a minimum of phonic isolation. Here the word isolation doesn't exist! If you want to sleep (I think it's what you can expect from a hotel) avoid this place.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JPGrand
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear JPGrand,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the highway noise had caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Lone Oak Lodge
#4 of 56 in Monterey
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row

Been to Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!