All reviews fifth floor the breakfast area free breakfast is short drive rooms are clean yogurt convenient location easy access the room was nice fisherman's wharf view of the ocean cookies monterey freeway aquarium
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The buildings are not clean in the hallways, the room inside in scimpy, the rate was double the worth of the offering. Pass this one...friendly front desk lady, but it stops there....the elevator is dodgy and the smell outside is unbearable....

Date of stay: September 2013
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Oscarsaunderson ,

I am really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do our best to exceed our guest expectations and it's obvious we failed in doing so. I will share your review with the rest of the staff and management team. We appreciate our guest reviews and thank you for taking the time.

Stacy L

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The ladies on reception were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is an older style motel style. We had rooms on the 2nd floor at the back with a view of the pool and car park. No noise at night. Rooms were very clean, bathroom good and the beds comfortable. It was disappointing however that we did not have a fridge. Breakfast was good however the dining area was very very full with nowhere to sit either in the main dining area or the overflow. Breakfast staff were also very efficient and pleasant. Pool area very pleasant although it did not catch the sun when we were there and always seemed to be in the shade.

Room tip: Ask for a room at the rear
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stopped for one night as part of our SF-LA road trip. We arrived late, check in was easy. The rooms are ok. Practical, clean. Nothing too fancy. Breakfast was the same. Practical but nothing too fancy. They served pastries, eggs, yoghurt, pancakes, cheese, juice. Location was practical enough for our purpose. Close enough to the highway, and practical to see the aquarium.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Sara S,

Thank you very much for leaving us feedback about your visit. I am happy you found our location to be convenient and you had a good check in experience. It is always nice to receive commendable comments from our valued guests like you.

Please see us soon if you're back in the area!

Kind Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed for one night traveling up the coast for San Fransisco. Service was friendly and welcoming. The rooms seemed very motel style but were well refurbished and kitted out. Great location for road connections too.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed overnight last Sunday at the Holiday Inn Express-Seaside after a long day at the Monterey Jazz Festival. The property is conveniently located off of Highway 1 and I arrived shortly before 11:00 p.m.; check-in was a breeze. As I exchanged pleasantries with the friendly, front desk staffer, I noticed off to the right of the lobby a room which looked to be the breakfast dining area. I made the comment: "Oh-- I see that's where we have breakfast." The clerk explained that the breakfast dining area was actually around the corner from the lobby and that this room to the side of the lobby was the breakfast "over-flow" room. This is something that you guest will want to remember if the breakfast area is full with no place to sit. I mention this because I've read several of the reviews below mine complaining of a full breakfast room. And speaking of the actual breakfast area, it's as spacious as any other I've seen at a HI Express property. The difference is that this hotel is larger than the average Express, having five stories of rooms so you can see how the breakfast area can get crowded if the hotel is full or near full. Staying on the breakfast topic, I will say that the Holiday Inn properties have some of the best coffee I've ever tasted :-) Whether you have the Fancy Gourmet or French Roast blend-- it's all good! Going back to the room... mine was attractive and tastefully furnished with a king-size bed. However, I have notice that the king-size beds at the Holiday Inn Express properties are on the firm side, firmer than I like. The queen and full-size beds I've slept in have been not as firm and way more comfortable. No two Holiday Inn Express I've stayed in, and there have been at least a dozen, have looked the same. This property is the largest Express I've stayed at and the first one I've seen with a swimming pool. My room was located on the third floor and faced Highway 1 which wasn't a problem for me. However, for those of you that would have a problem with a room facing the highway will want to keep this in mind and request a room on the backside of the property.

Room tip: This property is right off scenic Highway 1. If you think noise is going to be a problem, you'll want to request a room that doesn't face the highway.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo