“"Another Great Holiday Inn Express"” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Fresno, California
“"Another Great Holiday Inn Express"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed overnight last Sunday at the Holiday Inn Express-Seaside after a long day at the Monterey Jazz Festival. The property is conveniently located off of Highway 1 and I arrived shortly before 11:00 p.m.; check-in was a breeze. As I exchanged pleasantries with the friendly, front desk staffer, I noticed off to the right of the lobby a room which looked to be the breakfast dining area. I made the comment: "Oh-- I see that's where we have breakfast." The clerk explained that the breakfast dining area was actually around the corner from the lobby and that this room to the side of the lobby was the breakfast "over-flow" room. This is something that you guest will want to remember if the breakfast area is full with no place to sit. I mention this because I've read several of the reviews below mine complaining of a full breakfast room. And speaking of the actual breakfast area, it's as spacious as any other I've seen at a HI Express property. The difference is that this hotel is larger than the average Express, having five stories of rooms so you can see how the breakfast area can get crowded if the hotel is full or near full. Staying on the breakfast topic, I will say that the Holiday Inn properties have some of the best coffee I've ever tasted :-) Whether you have the Fancy Gourmet or French Roast blend-- it's all good! Going back to the room... mine was attractive and tastefully furnished with a king-size bed. However, I have notice that the king-size beds at the Holiday Inn Express properties are on the firm side, firmer than I like. The queen and full-size beds I've slept in have been not as firm and way more comfortable. No two Holiday Inn Express I've stayed in, and there have been at least a dozen, have looked the same. This property is the largest Express I've stayed at and the first one I've seen with a swimming pool. My room was located on the third floor and faced Highway 1 which wasn't a problem for me. However, for those of you that would have a problem with a room facing the highway will want to keep this in mind and request a room on the backside of the property.

Room Tip: This property is right off scenic Highway 1. If you think noise is going to be a problem, you'l...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Turkish first
Clermont-Ferrand, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We are good customers of Holiday Inn: easy, cheap, room for 4.... But avoid this one. Apparently they forgot that being so close to a highway requires a minimum of phonic isolation. Here the word isolation doesn't exist! If you want to sleep (I think it's what you can expect from a hotel) avoid this place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JPGrand
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear JPGrand,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the highway noise had caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Rogers, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this property in mid-September and enjoyed our time there. As others have noted the staff is 5 out of 5. The front desk was extremely friendly and helpful. The serving ladies in the breakfast center were efficient and quick to respond to requests made during the busy breakfast time. The food was standard hotel breakfast food, but with a bigger selection than what I usually see. We received a refrigerator in our room as soon as we requested one. The maid service did a great job in preparing and maintaining our room each day during our stay.
The room was very clean and the king size bed was extremely comfortable. We had a room on the expressway side of the hotel but were not bothered by road noise or other guests. While we were there, the flower beds were being totally redone on our side of the building. The gardeners and staff did a great job of keeping walks clean and accessible during the installation of the soil, plants, and covering. It really looked nice when they finished. This is not a "beach" hotel, but very near the beach and lovely walking trails.

Room Tip: Ask for the size bed you want. If you want to minimize noise from other guests, do not request a roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Plitt_travels

I'd like to thank you for leaving such a pleasant review and for choosing the Holiday Inn Express at Monterey Bay to accommodate your lodging needs. I am happy to hear you had a nice stay. We hope to have you will visit us again the next time you visit the area.

Stacy L.
Ramat Gan, Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

First of all the service was great! We asked for a fridge and they brought one to us, tnx. Service get's 5 of 5, but still the facilities are not holiday inn standard. It fills like an inn, and not a hotel. The room we got, looked to the parking lot, and as a result it was noisy and we had to pull the shades down. The shower was awful with no over head shower, and the tv didn't work at first (the service did help us) and after it was just shaky. All in all i think it was good because of the location, but that's it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tal C
Dear Tal C,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review of your experience. I am sorry to hear that you had complications during your stay. I am happy to know that the staff was able to assist; it doesn't appear that we exceed your expectations and that sadness me. Our goal to exceed all of our guest expectations, we take our reviews very seriously. I will share your review with the staff and upper management. This allows us to see what areas we need to improve on. I do hope the next time you are in the area, you will allow us another chance.

Stacy L
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel and awesome service. The location was great near Monterey and the Pacific Coast Highway. The front desk ladies were great in giving us tips at where to go and what to do. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear amanderrd ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It was a pleasure meeting you both; I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope the next time you are in the area, you will visit us again.

Fenton, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very clean hotel, located 2 blocks from the beach on del monte ave, right off of hwy 1. Short drive to pebble beach and spyglass hills, great buffet breakfast included in price of the room. If your going to the peninsula stay here!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pdog6557,

Thank you so much for leaving such a pleasant review. We take our reviews very seriously and it makes me very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Average hotel. Rooms were a fair size. Free, but very slow WiFi. Very, very noisy at night. It was almost impossible to sleep. The hotel was very crowded, and it was almost impossible to get a chair at breakfast. People were sitting outside because there was so little space. Nice location, close to Monterey, and beautiful views of the beach from the room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Anna v

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Monterey Bay. We do our best to exceed your expectations when you chose to be our guest. I am sorry to hear that there was no room in the breakfast area, we do over a overflow room near the lobby for additional seating. We do offer some beautiful views not only of the Lagoon, but of the area as well.

I hope the next time you visit Monterey you will stay with us again.

Stacy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
#8 of 55 in Monterey
InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!