“Great place!”

Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the room and facility was very clean. This hotel lies right at the Monterey city limits, was very accessible to Cannery Row. We did not use the pool, but it was always busy. There are not a lot of restaurants IMMEDIATELY around the hotel, but restaurants in Monterey are very accessible. The breakfast had cereal, pastries, yogurt and the hot items changed the two mornings we were there. Would stay again!!

Room Tip: Hit the breakfast bar early! It got more and more busy as the morning went on. Get a room at the fr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear TheMomfromCali,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and for choosing to stay with us. We are located on the boarder of Monterey and Seaside, but as you mentioned it allows for easy access to the area; Cannery Row and Fisherman's Warf are only a few minutes away. I hope the next time you are in the Monterey area, that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent one night there, because we wanted to visit the aquarium there. But we were dissapointed with the aquarium and the city. Hotel was ok, but in Montreay Bay everything is pricey and even Holiday Inn was not exception to that. The service at the reception was friendly, the room experience was more like in a cheap motel, but at least it was clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Ales11_11 ,

Thank you for being kind enough to leave a short review of your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Monterey. It is a beautiful area, and can get pricey. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be friendly.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We love this hotel. We stay here when ever we come to the Monterey area. The staff is always nice and polite. The rooms are clean and roomie enough. The bathrooms are pretty new and updated. From the front of the hotel (on the higher floors) you can see the ocean, a little blocked, but it is there. In the back of the hotel, you have a nice view of a park. Both the cannery row and fisherman's wharf are a very short drive away. lots of beaches to play at. Lover's point is also not a far drive. Everything right at your doorsteps.
The breakfast is also good. Always a lot of food, and very clean.
Again love this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear leahtots,

Thank you so much for leaving such a pleasant review and for allowing us to accommodate your lodging needs. I am happy to hear that you’re a repeat guest and stay with us when you visit the Monterey area. Thank you for noticing out bathroom renovations, we also added new carpet and replaced the beds recently. As you mentioned we are just a short drive from Cannery Row and all major area attractions. The Start Smart breakfast is yummy in the morning and offers exactly what is needed to start your day off great, I am glad you enjoy it. I will let the staff know what a great job they are doing, thanks you again for choosing to stay with us while you’re in the area. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great location, nice building, and amable employees. However, this Holiday Inn Express does not appear to be up to the maintenance standards of other locations in the chain. Granted, the daily room rates are lower than other hotels in the area, but you're getting what you paying for. We all recognize that first impressions are important, and as we walked from the parking lot to the main entrance, it required a strong pull to open one of the glass/metal doors. The door dragged against the ceramic tile floor, making a loud scritching noise as we tried to open it. The tile (stone?) had a deep, curved groove carved in it by months of opening and closing the door. How come nobody fixes it? At the Check in desk we were given a room that was not ready for occupancy, so we have to wait 15 minutes outside until the maid finished her job. As my wife and I were settling in the room, we tried to moved the window curtains to the side, but they wouldn't slide properly, so we kind of gave it up. Finally, we shut the room door, which also dragged and showed some clarity from the ouside through a narrow clearance between door and frame. Please,We are not talking about big problems, but maintenance nuisances to guests that can be resolved easily. On the other hand, the continental breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Avoid if possible a room facing the parking lot, which is noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Rudolph E

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I have printed out your review and have shared it with upper management as well as the engineering team. I am really sorry that you experienced these maintenance issues during your stay; did you bring these items to the front desk agent’s attention? We appreciate your feedback and appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I do hope the next time you are in the area; you will give us the opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I booked this hotel through hotwire. I was hoping for a 3 star in Monterey but I ended up with the Holiday Inn Express in Seaside. On top of not getting the area that I wanted booking through Hotwire actually cost me a few more dollars then it would have been booking directly through the hotel. So actually this hotel is a very affordable option when booking in Monterey if you do not mind driving a lot. Every time we wanted to go in to downtown Monterey it was at least a 10 minute drive, often longer. As for the property:

Pros:
-Very nice Staff
-Decently decorated and clean rooms
-Easily accessible from your car (motel style)
-Nice TV in room
-Free toiletries available at request (thank goodness because it was COLD and we all 3 of us girls forgot a razors)
-Comfy beds
Cons:
-Small room (we were bumping in to each other a lot while getting ready)
-Really gross breakfast (we all picked at our plates for a few minutes then decided to go to a bakery we saw in Monterey) PS Paris Bakery is amazing!
-No indoor pool and even though it was heated it was still to cold for me to enjoy swimming, even though my 2 year old made me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear christyann1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We take our guest reviews very seriously and in listing the Pro's and Con's in your review we are able to evaluate each one; allowing us to see what we can do better to create that special unique guest experience that you deserve when staying with us. Paris Bakery is delicious; good choice. I'm sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast options we had available. I do apologize that the room configuration allowed for a tight fit during your stay. We recently replaced the beds in the rooms, I’m happy to hear you slept well. The pool is heated to 80 degrees, but with us being with 2 blocks of the ocean I can totally understand how it could appear colder. I do hope that the next time you visit the area; you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I booked a room through Hotwire and got a room for about $100 per night. I didn't know the name of the hotel until I booked it and was a little nervous reading the reviews. It was a pleasant suprise...clean room, good free breakfast (breakfast room small so ate it in my room) and I felt safe. Really comfortable bed! Also very easy to get to all the attractions in Monterey. My only complaint is that it is close to the freeway so you get road noise but it never woke me up or kept me awake. I'd stay there again....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Karen M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the room to be comfortable. Our staff tries very hard to exceed guest expectations. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were on the second floor facing the back which was probably quieter. You could hear the neighbors outside VERY clearly. This is not in Monterey so you must drive everywhere (there is a Starbucks down the block with a drive through which was awesome). There is a lake adjoining where my daughter loved to feed the ducks and geese. One duck waits outside the breakfast room which was okay. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean but dark - makeup application can be challenging.

Room Tip: You want the 2nd floor, not facing the street and as far away from everyone else as possible

Dear treehugger_12

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. Robert's Lake is lovely and I am happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed the geese. The property does city of the city boarder of Monterey and Seaside, which does allow easy access to the area and area attractions. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Director of Sales

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Sand Castle Inn
#2 of 13 in Seaside
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row

Been to Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!