“Decent hotel for the price.”

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Sacramento, California
“Decent hotel for the price.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I booked this hotel through hotwire. I was hoping for a 3 star in Monterey but I ended up with the Holiday Inn Express in Seaside. On top of not getting the area that I wanted booking through Hotwire actually cost me a few more dollars then it would have been booking directly through the hotel. So actually this hotel is a very affordable option when booking in Monterey if you do not mind driving a lot. Every time we wanted to go in to downtown Monterey it was at least a 10 minute drive, often longer. As for the property:

Pros:
-Very nice Staff
-Decently decorated and clean rooms
-Easily accessible from your car (motel style)
-Nice TV in room
-Free toiletries available at request (thank goodness because it was COLD and we all 3 of us girls forgot a razors)
-Comfy beds
Cons:
-Small room (we were bumping in to each other a lot while getting ready)
-Really gross breakfast (we all picked at our plates for a few minutes then decided to go to a bakery we saw in Monterey) PS Paris Bakery is amazing!
-No indoor pool and even though it was heated it was still to cold for me to enjoy swimming, even though my 2 year old made me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear christyann1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We take our guest reviews very seriously and in listing the Pro's and Con's in your review we are able to evaluate each one; allowing us to see what we can do better to create that special unique guest experience that you deserve when staying with us. Paris Bakery is delicious; good choice. I'm sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast options we had available. I do apologize that the room configuration allowed for a tight fit during your stay. We recently replaced the beds in the rooms, I’m happy to hear you slept well. The pool is heated to 80 degrees, but with us being with 2 blocks of the ocean I can totally understand how it could appear colder. I do hope that the next time you visit the area; you will choose to stay with us again.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I booked a room through Hotwire and got a room for about $100 per night. I didn't know the name of the hotel until I booked it and was a little nervous reading the reviews. It was a pleasant suprise...clean room, good free breakfast (breakfast room small so ate it in my room) and I felt safe. Really comfortable bed! Also very easy to get to all the attractions in Monterey. My only complaint is that it is close to the freeway so you get road noise but it never woke me up or kept me awake. I'd stay there again....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Karen M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the room to be comfortable. Our staff tries very hard to exceed guest expectations. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were on the second floor facing the back which was probably quieter. You could hear the neighbors outside VERY clearly. This is not in Monterey so you must drive everywhere (there is a Starbucks down the block with a drive through which was awesome). There is a lake adjoining where my daughter loved to feed the ducks and geese. One duck waits outside the breakfast room which was okay. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean but dark - makeup application can be challenging.

Room Tip: You want the 2nd floor, not facing the street and as far away from everyone else as possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear treehugger_12

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. Robert's Lake is lovely and I am happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed the geese. The property does city of the city boarder of Monterey and Seaside, which does allow easy access to the area and area attractions. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 1, 2013

There are pluses and minuses to having outside corridors. This place had none of the pluses. It was dirty and chilly on the walk from the elevator to the room. Noise didn't bother us too much, as can happen sometimes with outdoor "hallways." The breakfast was okay, adequate, though not memorable. We had no problem with a crowd there, and the area was kept well-stcoked of the foods they had. But the place is definitely dated. However, the rooms was clean, the bedding was nice, except for the meager pillows one finds nowadays.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Shrek4,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We value guest comments and I do share them with the staff and upper management. We are an opened aired property which does allow for the beautiful views. Beings that we are within 2 blocks of the ocean it does get chilly from the ocean breeze. I am happy to hear that you found the rooms to be accommodating; our goal is to exceed our guest expectations. I am sorry to hear well feel short of that in a few aspects. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs should you return to the area.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Don't make the mistake. Rooms are small and property is outdated, room doors open to outside so you hear everything. Breakfast was a mad house not worth it. Far from downtown Monterrey and attractions.

• Stayed June 2013
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear maz7123

Monterey being a Marine Sanctuary limits us on exactly what we can do too update the exterior aspects of the property. The breakfast room can get busy; we offer an overflow breakfast room located near the lobby area just for those reasons. The rooms are on the small side and were designed with the common traveler in mind.

Our goal is to exceed your expectations; I apologize and I'm very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay and well fell behind in exceeding yours.

Stacy L
Director of Sales

Travelers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst traveling around California. Service was great, always someone behind desk. PC in reception was free to use and print pages (unlike some other hotels) WiFi had good signal in our room. There was a spa at the hotel but was out of action at the time of our visit - a shame really, it looked nice.

Room was clean/tidy and of a decent size along with a good bathroom. TV system was good also.

Being from England, we were a little unsure of where to eat locally as we arrived later than usual. Dev behind the desk recommended a place called "Dishes" just up the road (5 minute drive). Well we went and to be honest it was excellent. The food was plentiful and of good quality.

The girl behind the desk (I'm sorry i forgot here name (Duh!)) was equally helpful when we asked which was the best beach/area to visit. We ended up following her recommendations of the 17 mile drive (pebble beach area) and it was stunning! Also visited the aquarium in Monterey which was brilliant too.

All in all, I cannot fault hotel or staff - we had a great time there. Thanks

Room Tip: ask to stay on floor 2 - that way you avoid having to use the elevator
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Steve G

I am thrilled to hear you had a wonder time in Monterey and enjoyed your stay. 17 Mile drive and the Aquarium are a must see and do while visiting, our staff works very hard to give you the guest the service you deserve while staying with us. We take our reviews very seriously and it's always nice to be able to bring a good review to the department heads and General Manager’s attention.

I hope the next time you travel to the Monterey area you will choose to stay with us again.

San Diego
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here in April and we wouldn't recommend it to friends. The rooms open directly outside which are generally noisy but that is expected, however, one morning we were awoken by a power saw one door down from us. The room was not very clean. When we first arrived I found two hairs, that were not mine since we just got there, in the room. One on the edge of the bed and another on the inside of the bathroom door. Later that night when we tried charging our phones, only one outlet worked out of the two located on each side of the bed. When we tried to locate another outlet near the bed, I noticed a considerable amount of dust built up behind the bed. Our bathroom seemed somewhat recently updated except for the missing shower door, there was only half a wall, which left sprinkled water all over the floor after showering. The bed was probably the most uncomfortable bed I've slept on at a hotel. We were able to get a discount off the room, just under $100 per night, however, I still thought that was too much for what we got. The employees at the front desk were nice, but that's about the only positive thing I could say about the place. If we go back to Monterey, we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Kim A,

I am really sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. In reading you’re review, it sounds like you were here during the installation of the new carpet. We recently updated all the carpet in all the rooms and added new beds. Prior to checking out; did you explain to the front desk you were having issues with the room? I am sure they would have been more than happy to move you to another room. We take our guest reviews very seriously; I will discuss this with the General Manager. I do hope you give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs in the future.

Stacy Loving
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
Hotel Abrego
Hotel Abrego
#7 of 55 in Monterey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,235 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!