“Adequate”

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were on the second floor facing the back which was probably quieter. You could hear the neighbors outside VERY clearly. This is not in Monterey so you must drive everywhere (there is a Starbucks down the block with a drive through which was awesome). There is a lake adjoining where my daughter loved to feed the ducks and geese. One duck waits outside the breakfast room which was okay. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean but dark - makeup application can be challenging.

Room Tip: You want the 2nd floor, not facing the street and as far away from everyone else as possible
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear treehugger_12

First I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. Robert's Lake is lovely and I am happy to hear that your daughter enjoyed the geese. The property does city of the city boarder of Monterey and Seaside, which does allow easy access to the area and area attractions. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay

Reviewed July 1, 2013

There are pluses and minuses to having outside corridors. This place had none of the pluses. It was dirty and chilly on the walk from the elevator to the room. Noise didn't bother us too much, as can happen sometimes with outdoor "hallways." The breakfast was okay, adequate, though not memorable. We had no problem with a crowd there, and the area was kept well-stcoked of the foods they had. But the place is definitely dated. However, the rooms was clean, the bedding was nice, except for the meager pillows one finds nowadays.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Shrek4,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We value guest comments and I do share them with the staff and upper management. We are an opened aired property which does allow for the beautiful views. Beings that we are within 2 blocks of the ocean it does get chilly from the ocean breeze. I am happy to hear that you found the rooms to be accommodating; our goal is to exceed our guest expectations. I am sorry to hear well feel short of that in a few aspects. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs should you return to the area.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Don't make the mistake. Rooms are small and property is outdated, room doors open to outside so you hear everything. Breakfast was a mad house not worth it. Far from downtown Monterrey and attractions.

• Stayed: June 2013
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear maz7123

Monterey being a Marine Sanctuary limits us on exactly what we can do too update the exterior aspects of the property. The breakfast room can get busy; we offer an overflow breakfast room located near the lobby area just for those reasons. The rooms are on the small side and were designed with the common traveler in mind.

Our goal is to exceed your expectations; I apologize and I'm very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay and well fell behind in exceeding yours.

Stacy L

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst traveling around California. Service was great, always someone behind desk. PC in reception was free to use and print pages (unlike some other hotels) WiFi had good signal in our room. There was a spa at the hotel but was out of action at the time of our visit - a shame really, it looked nice.

Room was clean/tidy and of a decent size along with a good bathroom. TV system was good also.

Being from England, we were a little unsure of where to eat locally as we arrived later than usual. Dev behind the desk recommended a place called "Dishes" just up the road (5 minute drive). Well we went and to be honest it was excellent. The food was plentiful and of good quality.

The girl behind the desk (I'm sorry i forgot here name (Duh!)) was equally helpful when we asked which was the best beach/area to visit. We ended up following her recommendations of the 17 mile drive (pebble beach area) and it was stunning! Also visited the aquarium in Monterey which was brilliant too.

All in all, I cannot fault hotel or staff - we had a great time there. Thanks

Room Tip: ask to stay on floor 2 - that way you avoid having to use the elevator
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Steve G

I am thrilled to hear you had a wonder time in Monterey and enjoyed your stay. 17 Mile drive and the Aquarium are a must see and do while visiting, our staff works very hard to give you the guest the service you deserve while staying with us. We take our reviews very seriously and it's always nice to be able to bring a good review to the department heads and General Manager’s attention.

I hope the next time you travel to the Monterey area you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here in April and we wouldn't recommend it to friends. The rooms open directly outside which are generally noisy but that is expected, however, one morning we were awoken by a power saw one door down from us. The room was not very clean. When we first arrived I found two hairs, that were not mine since we just got there, in the room. One on the edge of the bed and another on the inside of the bathroom door. Later that night when we tried charging our phones, only one outlet worked out of the two located on each side of the bed. When we tried to locate another outlet near the bed, I noticed a considerable amount of dust built up behind the bed. Our bathroom seemed somewhat recently updated except for the missing shower door, there was only half a wall, which left sprinkled water all over the floor after showering. The bed was probably the most uncomfortable bed I've slept on at a hotel. We were able to get a discount off the room, just under $100 per night, however, I still thought that was too much for what we got. The employees at the front desk were nice, but that's about the only positive thing I could say about the place. If we go back to Monterey, we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Kim A,

I am really sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. In reading you’re review, it sounds like you were here during the installation of the new carpet. We recently updated all the carpet in all the rooms and added new beds. Prior to checking out; did you explain to the front desk you were having issues with the room? I am sure they would have been more than happy to move you to another room. We take our guest reviews very seriously; I will discuss this with the General Manager. I do hope you give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs in the future.

Stacy Loving

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Got a deal on Hotwire to stay here. Nice hotel. Note it is not in Monterey but just outside in Seaside. There was some noise when we arrived due to construction but by the time we returned from dinner it was quiet. Nice pond outside with ducks and geese. Outside of Monterey but not far from the centre of town. Good service, good breakfast (with a pancake machine!)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Vicky M,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; I do apologize for the noise you endured in the morning prior to the start of your day. We are in the process of replacing the carpet and the beds in the rooms. I'm glad you found our location to be of convenience; we are located right on the boarder of Monterey and Seaside which makes getting from A to B extremely easy, especially with Highway 1 across the way. With spring in high gear, the geese and ducks love to come out and play. I hope the next time you’re in the area; you will stay with us again.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I spend 6 months of the year on the road and having internet access at the hotel is important for me to be able to do my work. When checking in I asked if they had a good internet connection. Sean the night manager said as long as he has been there no one has complained. I spent the next 45 minutes trying to connect from my room. I called down to the desk and asked that they check with the company that provides their internet support and report the issue. I was told they would do it immediately. With no improvement 20 minutes later, I called down again. Sean answered and said he wasn't the one that took my call earlier and didn't know there was an issue. He then said that perhaps I should come down to the lobby, a lot of guests find they can connect there. So much for never a complaint! I waited another 20 minutes and checked out. As for the room. The linens looked good as they usually do at a Holiday Inn Express. The hotel was obviously an older property that was converted. Not happy with the level of service nor the honesty.

Room Tip: If you do not require internet, it's a fair deal.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear W00d3y3

I am really sorry you had to experience this during your stay. We take our guest reviews very serious. I'm at a loss for words, due to the fact that we just rewired the whole property, putting up new access points on all floors. We haven't had a problem; until now. When you checked in, a map of the property along with the access code should have been given to you; with a phone for number for technical support. I know you mentioned that the front desk was going to call on this for you, I apologize that it didn't get done.

I will be discussing this with the front desk along with upper management, there is no excuse for the service you received and I am truly sorry that you had to endure this type of frustration. Our goal is to exceed your expectations and it's obvious that we failed in doing so. I will be looking into this issue further. I do hope the next time you are in Monterey, you will give us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs.

Stacy Loving

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Sand Castle Inn
Sand Castle Inn
#1 of 13 in Seaside

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!