“Clean and Cheap”

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Free wifi is a plus. The room (a double) was clean with plenty of towels for the family. The location of the hotel is close to Cannery Row in Monterey. The front lobby people were friendly. However, on the night we stayed, it was extremely noisy and a lot of police sirens were going by. Don't know if it was because it was Spring Break or if there is a lot crime afoot in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room and that the staff was friendly; I think they are pretty great myself; they do try hard to exceed guest expectations.

As for the sirens, we are located within a block of the Seaside Police Department. I am sure if you heard sirens there was an accident or something else taking place.

I hope the next time you are in the area, that you will stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a better than average HI Express, but a couple of caveats. First, as a family of four, the two bed units are small. The beds are doubles, not queens and even though that's only a few inches, it makes a difference for our family. The rooms are also smaller than I've come to expect. This had the four of us stepping on each other's feet getting ready in the morning. A separate shower and toilet from the sink helped a little, but it's a tight squeeze. Our TV, despite being on cable, provided a picture for some channels (CBS, March Madness?) worse than some over the air signals. The remote also worked poorly, probably just needing a new battery.

The location is great, from the standpoint of being central to lots of area attractions, at a reasonable price. But even though on the map it appears that walking to the bay is possible, Del Monte Blvd and Highway 1 create some signficant barriers. Even driving to the state beach was tricker than expected. If you want to view of the ocean from your room you'll need to be on the 5th floor. Our 4th floor unit caught a sliver of water, but if I had to do it over again, I would ask for a room on the backside (but away from the pool). This side overlooks a nice pond teeming with waterfowl, surrounded by a trail. The front side suffers from considerable noise from the two abovementioned roads.

Meanwhile, staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was typical, but at least there was ample seating and food trays quickly replenished. In general I was pleased with the experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side away from the pool. It's quiet and has a nice view out over a p...

Dear Steve V,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I do apologize that you experienced problems with the television while you were here. Did you by chance notify the front desk? I ask because that is the only way we are able to determine if it is something to do with the carrier or if it is an internal problem we should have looked at. You are correct in saying the rooms are on the small side. The rooms are around 200 sq. ft. and have been designed for the common traveler in mind. I love the back side of the property that overlooks Roberts Lake; it is quitter at night and offers the Natural beauty that Monterey is so known for. The bike path across the street does allow for easy access to the beach. It is a bit of a walk maybe 1/2 mile, it allows for beauty and bike riding and evening walks along the beautiful ocean.

I will defiantly let the staff know that they are doing a great job; I do hope that you will stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed four nights at this hotel. We made our confirmed reservations several weeks in advance for a room with a king bed. When we checked in and got to the room it had two double beds (not even queen beds). I returned to the desk and was told that they could give me a king room for two of our four nights, and then we'd have to move. We did not want to move mid-stay, so we took the room with the double beds. The room was clean, but very narrow and cramped. There was only one small sink; no microwave or fridge. The old chair at the desk was so low the level of the desk was at my neck when I sat down. The entry door would not open initially and required repair by the "engineer." We were given a top floor room facing the ocean, but we could barely see the small strip of ocean. The road noise was loud all night as well. Even the toilet seat squeaked loudly upon lifting and putting it down. We did not eat the "free" breakfast. It was not appealing at all. On the plus side, the front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. However, we will not stay at this hotel again. Overall this hotel is in poor condition and does not provide the amenities one would expect for the price.

Room Tip: Don't expect a nice "ocean view" on the top floor (5th).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear McClellans,

I am sorry to hear you did not have a good experience while staying with us. I sincerely apologize for all the problems you faced while you were here.

We take our guest's complaints very seriously. I wish I would have known the struggles you’re faced prior to check out. I know you mentioned you didn't want to switch rooms during your stay, but we could of fixed allot of the problems you experienced by moving you to a different room; even if we had to place you in the same room type. We are limited to how many Kings we have on property, but it would have allowed for a good night’s sleep, and beautiful views of the lake.

In closing you mentioned you would not be staying with us again, when visiting the area. I wish you would give us another change should you make it back to the Monterey area. Our goal is to exceed guest expectations and we failed in doing so.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel in my trip across the California coast (Big Sur - SR1).

I totally recommend this hotel. Clean rooms and comfortable beds. Free parking lot and an excellent continental breakfast.

The hotel staff is friendly and can help you whatever you need.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Rodrigo043

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; during on your journey down the California Coast. With so many beautiful breath taking views, what's not to love. Where you able to see the whales off the coast as you were traveling down? It is prime Whale watching season, as they make their way towards Baja.

Our property is perfectly located and with the views of Roberts Lake it really brings out the beauty in the area and what Monterey is really about. I will definitely share your review with the staff giving them kudos for doing such a great job.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and the next time you’re in the area, we hope to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was a very pleasant stay. We had been traveling for several days - staying in different hotels along California's coast. This was the best of the lot - nice bed - we rested very comfortably. We stayed for breakfast in the morning - it was fantastic!! The lady that took care of that area was so friendly and helpful - definitely made our trip even better

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Kenm3333,

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. The California coast is gorgeous and with so many stops along with way, I am glad the trip was pleasant. I will let the breakfast staff & housekeeping staffs know what a wonderful job they are doing. I hope the next time you’re in the area, you stay with us again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while visiting our daughter at CSUMB. It was a great location and close to the freeway. We were able to get to the college and to downtown Monterey and the the Marina in Monterey in minutes. I loved the view of the small lake out the window, it was very peaceful to look out and watch the geese and other water life! I thought that the rooms were really clean, nicely decorated, the towels were large and soft, and the beds were really comfortable. The coffee in rooms and in the breakfast room was very weak, but there is a Starbucks right across the street. We will stay here again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor in the back of the hotel overlooking the small pond. It was very quiet...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear TabithaSantaBarbara,

Thank you so much for staying with us, and leaving such a nice review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I love Roberts Lake and the beauty it brings to the property. I hope the next time you are in the area that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

As part of a two week tour of California we opted to spend a long weekend in Monterey so that we could spend some time with friends that now live there. Having stayed at a couple of Holiday Inns previously we had expectations of a fairly decent hotel at an average price.

Thankfully, we were right about the average price as the hotel itself was quite a disappointment. We were given a room on the top floor at the rear of the hotel that looks over the lake. The lake itself is pleasant enough, but the bunch of drunk homeless guys that hang out by the lake day-after-day were less than pretty. I guess they have to spend their time somewhere.

Unfortunately the room was small, as was the bathroom. We also found the general level of cleanliness in the room to be pretty bad. Leaving the shower and walking across the floor with slightly damp feet (not wet) would result in dirtier feet than when you first stepped into the shower! Grim.

The room was noisy, and whilst this wasn't the fault of the hotel as such, we did have to resort to opening our room door and asking the neighbours to be quieter. Not something we enjoy having to do; a last resort.

In summary, we definitely wouldn't stay at this hotel again or recommend it. There must be better alternatives.

Breakfast was fine, as was the pool.

Room Tip: I would avoid anything lake side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Nigel J,

I'm really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take our guest reviews very seriously. I will be bringing your review to the attention of the General Manager as well as our Rooms Director. I wish we would have know how un-happy you were with your stay prior to checkout. Thank you for the review and I do apologize.

Director of Sales

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Sand Castle Inn
Sand Castle Inn
#1 of 13 in Seaside

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!