“Value Hotel very close to Monterey downtown”

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed November 11, 2012

If you are looking for value very close to Monterey or Carmel then I would recommend. Good location I had a nice view of pond wilderness area
near the pool and did not hear noises.The breakfast was not that good ,limited offerings, very congested dining room (too small) . Room was average but was clean. Did not have a bad experience but it is definitely not a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear garciangc,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us; we love hearing from our guest. It allows us to evaluate our performance as a team. I am sorry to hear that the breakfast room was full and you were not able to enjoy breakfast comfortably. We do offer an overflow breakfast area; I apologize that it was not made available to you or the other guest in the hotel. I will definately mention that to my GM. The property is set up with the common traveler in mind, the rooms are on the tiny side, The staff works very hard and does an excellent job in keeping the rooms and grounds clean.

Monterey has allot of beautiful areas, Robert's Lake just happens to be one of them. I love when I arrive in the morning and see the Geese playing in the water or roaming around the property. It makes you stop and realize just how special of a place Monterey really is. I am happy to hear that you found it to be as beautiful and as peaceful as I.

I hope the next time you are in the area; you will give us another opprunity to accomodate your lodging needs.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room are small...so be prepared. They appear clean and somewhat updated, but there are no microwaves or refridg in the rooms. When we first checked in, our room was facing the front of the motel...convenient but we could clearly hear road noise through the closed window! We were moved to a room in the back facing the pool which was better. The bedding, towels and the mattress are 'thin'. At least in our room, there was no extra pillows or blankets. The reality, this motel in look and feel, is more like a Motel 6...rather than what we've come to expect from a Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back to avoid hearing road noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear CaliforniaFieldmouse,

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am happy to hear that the front desk was accommodating and able to place you in a room on the backside of the property, which is quitter. We do carry extra bedding; did you call the front desk and ask them for more blankets and pillows? I am sure they would have been more than happy to bring those to you. I will discuss with the Room’s Director the worn out linens and see why we would be using them, they are updated regularly. I hope the next time you are in the area; you will give us another chance to accommodate your lodging needs.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is 4-5 miles from Monterey. I found the bed uncomfortable. The room was clean, but a little cramped with no fridge in the room. The free breakfast was average. One bonus, it is on a nice walking trail.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear LibLady,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us; I am sorry to hear that you found the rooms to cramped and uncomfortable.Fridges are available to our guest upon request, did you by chance mentioned to the front desk that you would of liked a fridge in your room? I am sure they would of been more than happy to have one put in your room for you. I am happy to hear that you found the walking trail around Robert's lake to be nice; I love the natural beauty the lake brings to the property.

I do hope that you will allow us to accommodate your lodging needs giving us another chance the next time you’re in the Monterey area.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this place twice by accident, meaning to stay at the Best Western!!! LOL we always get mixed up trying to remember that " nice and reasonable place near Monterey"....
Ok here's the skinny:
Good news: excellent beds, clean rooms, very fair price so near to Monterey, updated (somewhat) bathrooms. The owners are trying hard to do the best they can with what they have.
Here's the bad news: The place was poorly designed so the corridors and elevators are outside the building. This means your room window looks onto an outdoor corridor and people walking past; it also means you can be pretty exposed to rain walking to and from the room from the tiny cramped lobby or the elevator.
Also the dining room serves food cafeteria style using plastic bowls and plastic utensils- bad for the environment and not at all classy- yuck.
But the bottom line is that we DID get a good night's sleep and we saved money...

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Sconsetgal,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I love reading everybody's opinion. It allows us together information needed; so we can improve and make things better for the next guest and the next time you stay, even if it is by accident! Our staff tries very hard to offer you our guest; the great service you deserve while staying with us. I am happy to hear that you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable and you noticed the bathroom Reno we did last year.

I hope that you accidently stay with us again, when you’re in the area.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The room is typical of all Holiday Inn Express rooms. Clean, good bed, nice shower, okay free breakfast & good price. This hotel is on the border of Seaside / Monterey. It is a quick drive to downtown Monterey and easy to find. The lagoon is very pretty and the higher floor rooms have good views of it or the Monterey Bay. If the price is right this is a good choice but I would pay over $150. Rooms can often be had for around $90 or less.

Room Tip: Ask for the 5th floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear travelmystic,

Thank you for writing such a kind review of your stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed you're stay, and found the property to be of value. Our breakfast / housekeeping staff works very hard to bring our guest the service and cleanliness that they have grown to know and love while staying at Holiday Inn Express.

I hope the next time you're in the area you will give us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I used my Priority Club points to stay here, but I would have been very disappointed if I had paid the inflated asking rate. The property and staff is only average, and they could do so much better. I had to personally carry my own towels to the pool after asking unattentive staff to do it first. I found some of the ice machines to be inoperable. The carpet in our room was dirty, and the exterior areas were certainly in need of a good cleaning. If you're staying in a high rent area where this hotel resides then you expect more, and should get it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear CFMWvisitor,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We take our reviews very seriously and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have shown this review to the General Manager, who plans on following up with the other departments to make sure we are always exceeding our guest expectations.

As our guest I apologize the staff did not take the time to satisfy your request for pool towels. Usually housekeeping will have them stocked out by the pool for guest use.

As an exterior corridor property the grounds staff tries very hard to keep the walk way's clean, I will speak to our head engineer to find out exactly what the problem is with the ice machine, as well as follow up to make sure they are all functioning correctly. I know from experience how annoying it can be to wonder from floor to floor seeking an Ice machine or vending machine that works.

Again, I am very sorry that your stay was not enjoyable, I wish you would allow us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs when you return to the area.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on due to the reviews we saw.
what a disappointment it was, it begun from the elevator which smelled bad, the room smelled like it was bleached. and the air condition did not work.
so what was good, the stuff and the breakfast
i will never get back there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear yuvaldy,

I'm sorry to hear that you left as an unsatisfied guest. Housekeeping does their best to keep the rooms clean and disinfected; I will discuss this review with the Rooms Director to see if they are over using product. I'm sensitive to smells as well; I do understand where you are coming from. In speaking to the front office staff, my understanding is that they moved you to another room because the smell was so bad it bothered you your first night, I hope that you got a better night’s sleep the second night. I will follow up in regards to the air conditioner not working; and ask engineering to check the rooms to make sure they all function correctly. It was a beautiful weekend and the temperatures were higher than normal.

In regards to the elevator, I'm not sure what the odor was in the elevator. It's not a common odor; I will ask to see if it's a cleaner or if it needs to be deep cleaned. I really have no explanation as to the smell you smelt. I hope that the next time you’re in the area; you will give us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs.

Director of Sales

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Sand Castle Inn
Sand Castle Inn
#1 of 13 in Seaside

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!