“It's the "hole in the wall" Gem!”

Baan Thai Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 88 Restaurants in Seaside
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“It's the "hole in the wall" Gem!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were in Monterey, and with a roll of the dice googled this joint that was close in proximity of our hotel. Craving Thai food and not sure what to expect - we relied on the positive reviews folks had posted. The place was in a tight sketchy strip joint area, but once we went in they were busy and packed! The food was fresh and aromatic. The ladies were all friendly, shy and sweet. This totally hit the spot with my husband and I and our 2 young kids! Everyone was happy with dinner that night. Definitely would eat here if we visit again. (we almost did return the next night but ended up in Carmel!)

• Visited July 2012

Monterey, California
“Excellent Thai on the Peninsula”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Really very good Thai food, particularly for the Monterey Peninsula. Monterey just doesn't have much in the way of good choices for Thai, and we have tried at least 5 of them. This is by far the best of the bunch, with authentic dishes, friendly service and reasonable prices. Actually all of them have reasonable prices, but the others all lack that taste of authenticity. The vegetarian coconut milk soup was perfect as well as the panang curry. Sometimes they spice this too much for most Americans or go to the opposite extreme without asking. Baan Thai actually asks how you want it and delivers it that way. I don't think you will go wrong here.

• Visited June 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
“Family favorite for many years”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Though we live far away, we visit Baan Thai Restaurant at least once a year when we are in the Monterey area. The staff is always friendly and welcoming.

We usually order family style, but chose to order from the lunch special menu on this trip. It was a great deal at under $7/person including soup or salad, an entree and rice. Spicy Chili Basil with Chicken was my favorite. Lots of fresh thai basil with bite sized pieces of chicken, bamboo shoots, and carrots. We also enjoyed the coconut juice which was sweet and refreshing with large pieces of young soft coconut meat.

As usual, there was a bustling lunch business during our visit. Our food arrived quickly and hot.

• Visited July 2012
San Diego, California
“Great Getaway to Spices and Thai Flavors”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

While the extensive menu might make deciding difficult, the recommendations of the staff and the many choices of dishes with beef, or pork, or chicken, or seafood, or shrimp ...or vegetarian allows you to suit many tastes. My Chinese Noodle Shrimp Wraps with Sweet and Sour Sauce were excellent and perfectly cooked. The Pad Thai noodles at Baan Thai always take me back to the noodle stands in Bangkok and Phuket. As a main course, I chose Penang Curry with Chicken and it was scrumptious with the same multitude of spices and flavors I would find at favorite spots from Penang, Malaysia to the beach resorts in Pattaya, Thailand. I have been to Baan Thai Restaurant many times, and I have NEVER been disappointed....and the Tsingha beer was ice cold, American-style!

• Visited May 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Flavorful but not great”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I'll qualify this review by saying that I'm very picky about my Thai food.

The flavor was there in all the dishes I tried, but there were some problems. First off, the consistency was way off in their curry. Thai curries should be saucy, their was soupy. Literally you could drink it with a spoon. Also, they strayed away from the traditional ingredients a bit too much. For example, baby corn in their panang.

Another knock against them was that their prices were about two to three dollars higher than they should be per entree.

You could do worse, but if you're going to pay for high-end Thai food you could do much, much better elsewhere.

• Visited April 2012