“this place was awesome”

Howard Johnson Express Inn Monterey Seaside
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Seaside

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Maple Ridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed for 1 night on our way thru to San Fran. Our regular hotel that we stay at in Monteray was full. We arrived later and got up early to leave, so we weren't there for very long but the time we were there it was OK. The room was clean...except for what looked like wax had been poured on one of the bedspreads....luckily we only needed one of the beds so it wasn't that big of a problem. You could hear thought the walls a bit, but nothing that was too disturbing. We didn't have breakfast in the morning so I can't comment on that.
Over all it was OK for a quick nights rest but I think I would probably stay somewhere else if I am ever back in Seaside.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wokingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Nothing special but did the job. It was clean and breakfast was what you'd expect- basic but waffle maker and the other normal breakfast goods. Location is nothing special with out of town style shopping centres around. We just used it as a stop over and it did the job. No complaints and a good little Vietnamese joint across the road (half a sports bar, half a restaurant)

• Stayed October 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

my girlfriend and I stayed just for one night. The only thing we needed was a bed to sleep in.
I missed the fruits for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

RANCHO CORDOVA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our room was particularly crowded. We had to almost take turns passing by the front of the too soft bed. The worst part is there apparently is no insulation between rooms. We could hear the guy next door coughing throughout the night and hear his alarm radio in the morning. The room on the other side of us turned on their TV in the middle of the night also. I finaly got up around 2 a.m., called the room, and asked them to please turn the TV down. I was glad it was turned off - lower volume would not of helped much. I would not recommend anyone stay at this HJ's.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank RUTH O

Travelers are raving about these Seaside hotels

San Diego, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stay in hotels and motels about 8 nights a month and I don't usually review the rooms but this is the second time I have stay here and I have to tell you this motel is a real Value.
The Hotel is run by a really nice guy and at check in he could not be more helpful. The rooms have very comfortable beds and the rooms are nice and big.
My room had granite counters with a flat screen TV, Fridge and Micro. Clean and New for around $60 bucks!!! Wow As you can tell I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Its also just minutes from all the good eats, and tourist attractions but I don't have to pay the big bucks.

Room Tip: 122,123,124,125 all new and upgraded
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Modesto, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you plan on going to Monterey on an event weekend made reservations way ahead! Otherwise you will end up in a motel like this. We paid $250 a night for this hotel. Value....probably $75 per night! Basic rooms, old TV's, scratchy old towels with strains,and holes that were still damp when placed in the room. The shower curtain had mold on it. We had to request wash cloths and hand towels the second day plus shampoo ans additional soap. The walls are paper thin. You can hear conversations in the next room. We were on the first floor and would hear every footstep in the room above. During the night people were hanging out in the parking area and in front of our room until late. Someone went thru the parking area at 3am cursing loudly. Good thing we had ear plugs!
The place is very basic and needs updating. If I was paying $75 a night I wouldn't have expected more, but when they increase the the rate by such a large amount I expect more. This is price gouging because of a shortage of rooms during the event. Many hotels do this and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth! Howard Johnson's will not be on our list of places to stay in the future, in Seaside or other locations!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NiecyinMotown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Sand Castle Inn
Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay
Lone Oak Lodge
Lone Oak Lodge
#3 of 55 in Monterey

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn Monterey Seaside? Share your experiences!