Howard Johnson Express Inn Monterey Seaside
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$218
$174
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
$136
Sand Castle Inn(Seaside)(Great Value!)
$64
Travelocity
Discovery Inn(Seaside)
$55
$90
All reviewsfamily staya great place to staytoilet papersanta cruzcalled the front deskproteincomforter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 10, 2012

my girlfriend and I stayed just for one night. The only thing we needed was a bed to sleep in.
I missed the fruits for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our room was particularly crowded. We had to almost take turns passing by the front of the too soft bed. The worst part is there apparently is no insulation between rooms. We could hear the guy next door coughing throughout the night and hear his alarm radio in the morning. The room on the other side of us turned on their TV in the middle of the night also. I finaly got up around 2 a.m., called the room, and asked them to please turn the TV down. I was glad it was turned off - lower volume would not of helped much. I would not recommend anyone stay at this HJ's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank RUTH O
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stay in hotels and motels about 8 nights a month and I don't usually review the rooms but this is the second time I have stay here and I have to tell you this motel is a real Value.
The Hotel is run by a really nice guy and at check in he could not be more helpful. The rooms have very comfortable beds and the rooms are nice and big.
My room had granite counters with a flat screen TV, Fridge and Micro. Clean and New for around $60 bucks!!! Wow As you can tell I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Its also just minutes from all the good eats, and tourist attractions but I don't have to pay the big bucks.

Room Tip: 122,123,124,125 all new and upgraded
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you plan on going to Monterey on an event weekend made reservations way ahead! Otherwise you will end up in a motel like this. We paid $250 a night for this hotel. Value....probably $75 per night! Basic rooms, old TV's, scratchy old towels with strains,and holes that were still damp when placed in the room. The shower curtain had mold on it. We had to request wash cloths and hand towels the second day plus shampoo ans additional soap. The walls are paper thin. You can hear conversations in the next room. We were on the first floor and would hear every footstep in the room above. During the night people were hanging out in the parking area and in front of our room until late. Someone went thru the parking area at 3am cursing loudly. Good thing we had ear plugs!
The place is very basic and needs updating. If I was paying $75 a night I wouldn't have expected more, but when they increase the the rate by such a large amount I expect more. This is price gouging because of a shortage of rooms during the event. Many hotels do this and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth! Howard Johnson's will not be on our list of places to stay in the future, in Seaside or other locations!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NiecyinMotown
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed for two nights at Monterey/Seaside. As usual in the summer, things are always going on and rooms can be at a premium. After looking at a lot of other hotels in the area decided to stay at a Howard Johnson. The first time in a number of years. It will be years before I do this again. The rooms were clean but a Howard Johnson is still a Howard Johnson. The motel units are shaped like an "L" with the office closest to the main road. The hotel is on a busy road and there is alot of street noise. Turned on the fan to the heating/ac unit just to try to create some ambient noise but not really helpful. The breakfast room is tiny - holds four small tables with two chairs each. Not much room if anyone is trying to get some cereal or a cup of coffee. The owners cut costs by cutting the danish and muffins in half. Instant coffee out of a machine and milk is out of a gallon jug in a small refrigerator.
So, if you are in a bind you might want to consider this motel but I'd keep looking for something else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family