Seaside Surf Inn
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
$124
Sand Castle Inn(Seaside)(Great Value!)
$74
$55
$51
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfamily staya great place to staytoilet papersanta cruzcalled the front deskproteincomforter
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stay in hotels and motels about 8 nights a month and I don't usually review the rooms but this is the second time I have stay here and I have to tell you this motel is a real Value.
The Hotel is run by a really nice guy and at check in he could not be more helpful. The rooms have very comfortable beds and the rooms are nice and big.
My room had granite counters with a flat screen TV, Fridge and Micro. Clean and New for around $60 bucks!!! Wow As you can tell I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Its also just minutes from all the good eats, and tourist attractions but I don't have to pay the big bucks.

Room Tip: 122,123,124,125 all new and upgraded
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you plan on going to Monterey on an event weekend made reservations way ahead! Otherwise you will end up in a motel like this. We paid $250 a night for this hotel. Value....probably $75 per night! Basic rooms, old TV's, scratchy old towels with strains,and holes that were still damp when placed in the room. The shower curtain had mold on it. We had to request wash cloths and hand towels the second day plus shampoo ans additional soap. The walls are paper thin. You can hear conversations in the next room. We were on the first floor and would hear every footstep in the room above. During the night people were hanging out in the parking area and in front of our room until late. Someone went thru the parking area at 3am cursing loudly. Good thing we had ear plugs!
The place is very basic and needs updating. If I was paying $75 a night I wouldn't have expected more, but when they increase the the rate by such a large amount I expect more. This is price gouging because of a shortage of rooms during the event. Many hotels do this and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth! Howard Johnson's will not be on our list of places to stay in the future, in Seaside or other locations!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NiecyinMotown
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed for two nights at Monterey/Seaside. As usual in the summer, things are always going on and rooms can be at a premium. After looking at a lot of other hotels in the area decided to stay at a Howard Johnson. The first time in a number of years. It will be years before I do this again. The rooms were clean but a Howard Johnson is still a Howard Johnson. The motel units are shaped like an "L" with the office closest to the main road. The hotel is on a busy road and there is alot of street noise. Turned on the fan to the heating/ac unit just to try to create some ambient noise but not really helpful. The breakfast room is tiny - holds four small tables with two chairs each. Not much room if anyone is trying to get some cereal or a cup of coffee. The owners cut costs by cutting the danish and muffins in half. Instant coffee out of a machine and milk is out of a gallon jug in a small refrigerator.
So, if you are in a bind you might want to consider this motel but I'd keep looking for something else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank stl1126
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My girlfriends and I were on long roadtrip from Washington thru Vegas and back up the California coast celibrating our 50th birthdays. We got in late and had trouble finding a place to stay. This place was clean and comfortable, with a recently remodled two room suite with fireplaces in each room. My elderly mother in law was able to rest right away in her own room while the three of us could wind down without disturbing her. The night manager was friendly and helpful and the price was very nice. It was one of the better hotel experiences we had, including the pricey place we stayed in Vegas. It would have been even better if they had a suite like that available of the ground floor, however we were very happy overall.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shirley P
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We booked a room with two Queen beds for two nights (Sunday & Monday). Was great to get a cheaper rate for Monday night. The room was very clean and everything worked. The choice for the hotel was not only the price, but its close proximity to drive to and from Cal State Monterey Bay. The hotel is right at the entrance and exit of Hwy 1. The free breakfast items were sufficient, except for the fact that no one seems to attend to the breakfast room if anything runs out, and the hotel clerks are rarely in the front office (next to the breakfast room). The clerks tend to stay in their living quarters which is behind the front office, which I found surprising on a weekday morning when guests are either at breakfast or checking out. But you just have to ring for them and they come out right away. The clerks are very friendly and helpful. For our needs on the two days, the stay at the Howard Johnson's was fine.

Room Tip: If all you need is a place to sleep and hang your hat, this hotel has great rates, is very clean & only a few minutes away to Monterey and Carmel. Very easy to check in and check out.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family