“Friendy & Accomodating” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Sacramento, California
“Friendy & Accomodating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Seaside Howard Johnson on April 30th in Monterey.
The staff was so very friendly and accomodating, we were extremely impressed.
The room was a standard room with a King bed. It was very clean, comfortable and quite nice. It had a microwave, refrigerator and flat screen tv on the wall. The best touch was a built in fireplace that made the room very cozy. They offered continental breakfast until 10am and our stay was more than pleasant. Thank You Sam.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Elk Grove, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

In general, we had a decent time: rooms were worn but clean, breakfast bar was somewhat better than average, staff was helpful generally. However, we lost a laptop from a room: somewhat my fault (left in room at checkout and didn't realize it for several hours) and was a base model netbook, so loss was minimal, but the manager was surprisingly blase at the loss. No apparent effort at looking into it, and I had to volunteer on my own a name and phone number I could be contacted at. Not even a generic "sorry for your loss", rather a "haven't-found-it-buh-bye" response. Makes me think this is a rather routine occurence

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Seaside hotels

usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

Worse motel I've ever stayed in. The rooms stunk, they smelled musty. The shower curtain had black mold all over it and the blanket and sheets were questionable. You are better off staying at a campground. I never write reviews about hotels but this places need one and furthermore AAA ratings are becoming questionable to me. They are doing a poor job at assessing these hotels. It was very noisy too. Thin walls and the pipes moan, refrigerator moan and you can hear heavy footsteps from upstairs. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Don't be fooled by the name either.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Disappointed to find dirty walls, sills and floors upon check-in. Bathroom was the biggest offender. Door was filthy, walls were rife with accumulated dirt and grime, floors were in need of mopping. One pillow case barely covered the exposed oil and dirt residue of the pillow underneath. Nothing that a daily--or at least weekly scrubdown, not to mention new pillows or longer pillow cases would have fixed (hint). Continental breakfast was decent, minus all the spills and trash build-up that kept accumulating while the attendant sat at the adjacent counter. For almost $100, this is not a good deal by any measure.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed in a double queen room at Howard Jones Express Seaside for two nights during Monterey county fair. We booked the room the night before so most other hotels in the area were either fully booked, or very expensive, and I was worried after reading all the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. Please see pictures below.

The room had really nice decor, much better than any other 2 star hotel that I've stayed in the US, the bathroom was also very good. Mattresses were nice and appeared to be fairly new. I also have to praise the customer service - when I called the front desk to enquire about internet password, the guy not only told me that I have a choice of wireless and wired access, but also brought the cable to the room right away. It was an easy drive to the fair and to Monterey tourist attractions. The area is not everybody's cup of tea, but is convenient for retail stores and restaurants.

It is a 2 star hotel so you will hear some street noise, or people using water in the room upstairs. And the pillows are not going to be as nice as in a 4 or 5 star hotel. One thing I wish were different is hotel's cancellation policy, and breakfast could use some fresh fruit such as bananas and yogurt, but than again, I do not expect a breakfast in a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Cossachka
Clovis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

+Hotel staff were courteous and accommodating, allowing me to check-in when I arrived at 2 p.m., instead of waiting until their 3 p.m. check-in time.
+When I found the room safe locked by a previous guest, a hotel staff person responded within 5 minutes to open it.
+The room and bathroom were clean and sanitary, walls appeared recently painted, carpeting was clean, towels and linens were fresh and white.
+Complimentary sealed soap and shampoo were provided each day of my stay. Coffee and tea packets were provided for use with the in-room coffee maker with plenty of packaged insulated drinking cups.
+WiFi Internet service provided by SBC was reliable, but slow with download speeds ranging from 1.84 to 0.10 Mbps. The in-house WiFi router signal was excellent with a speed of 11 Mbps.
+Building exteriors appeared freshly painted and live colorful blooming flowers adorned the courtyard.
-Room walls lacked sound insulation, so low level noise (talking/TV) from neighboring rooms was annoying.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

We arrived an hour early, and the lady wouldn't let us check in. She told me that 3pm was the check in and NOT a minute earlier. I just thought since they weren't busy that we could check in early. Also they don't have maid service, so if you need towels too bad, if you need coffee too bad, if you need soap too bad. Oh well you should have brought your own. The customer service is so poor I wouldn't let my dogs stay here. In the evening the parking lot turns into a bar/bbq hang out for all the local street people. They are drinking, smoking, and cursing out in the parking lot. Nothing that I would subject my kids to. We checked out early, the noise was very loud. There was no elevator to get your bags up to the second floor. The breakfast was a joke, no fresh fruit, watered down juice, and coffee that you had to stand and wait 10 minutes before your cup was full. The coffee would trickle out like milking a cow. I think that milking a cow would be faster. The lady that ran the place was VERY rude. The room was supposed to have 1 queen bed and 2 double beds and we had 3 double beds. The mattress springs were sticking us in our backs no matter what we did. We tried to sleep on top of the covers and with no sucess the trip was misserable. We could/should have stayed for that price in another hotel. We could have stayed at a hotel closer to the aquarium for the same price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Aussiegal92
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
#8 of 55 in Monterey

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn Monterey Seaside? Share your experiences!