“Stay away from this hotel”

Econo Lodge Bay Breeze
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Sometimes you just want to get some sleep for a night, a decent breakfast and be on the road again. This place, however, is not one we can recommend. The price was rather high, beds were uncomfortable, poor ventilation and breakfast was a disaster. Stay away from this place, even if it is only for one night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Travel4105

Reviewed August 21, 2011

The motel itself is a little dated, the rooms we had were easily accessible but the carpet was damp (in patches) for some reason!! I didn't ask, i'm not sure I wanted to know the answer!

All towels were included as was the 'continental' breakfast! We are from the UK and the breakfast wasn't continental, in as as much as the were no cheeses and meats etc, but there were a choice of cereals, orange juice (not pure oj), sliced up muffins and waffles ( could be warmed using a toaster) once you had selected all of this, you need to take it back to your room to eat it.

For the price we paid, I expected alot more and I wouldn't have stayed here out of choice.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Sure it's cheap, but it comes up short in areas that seem to be basics in this day in age. No AC, which may be fine most of the time, but when it's warm out, try sleeping in this steam bath. The pillow were mis-matched, old, dirty, and lumpy. Given how inexpensive cheap pillows are, it's inexcusable that any hotel with a major brand association would provide what was this Econo Lodge did.

• Stayed: July 2011
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Travelled the US and Canada for 2 months and this was the worst place we stayed by a long way! Walls paper thin, rooms smelly, people shouting next door- I have never been so happy to see the sunrise in the morning to get out of there!you would be better off sleeping in your car!!!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I got great service from the front desk and had a clean and appointed room

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank supertraveler33
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I feel like any of the "this is a great hotel" remarks belong to owners of this hotel, or they apparently got a better room than we did. Admittedly, I came to this place off a business trip up in San Fran earlier in the week, and had been staying at the Westin - but I'm not one to complain if the hotel's clean and safe. I didn't feel this was either of those.

For one, the doors are missing a piece (presumedly a former deadbolt?) that leaves a gap between the door frame and the door - not too big, but big enough to see through - if you're a pervert and want to spend the time trying. We ended up taping over it each night.

Secondly, the room was dingy and dank - we ended up going out to buy candles to burn just to get rid of the odor. The blankets and comforters smelled old/dirty, the carpet felt sticky, and the refrigerator (while a nice amenity) was tinged with some sort of strawberry jelly inside. It was just gross.

The last straw was this afternoon when we came back from being out all day - our door was open. Not just unlocked, I mean OPEN. I was livid - asked the cleaning staff why our door was open, and they didn't seem to understand English, so it was an exercise in futility. I'm just thankful we brought our laptops each day with us when we left - I didn't trust them in that room, and I obviously made the right choice.

Aside from these 3 glaring things, little things like being charged for all 3 nights up front, the hairdryer not working and burnt-out lightbulbs in the bathroom sort of irritated me as well. The upsides were the front desk staff was courteous and it was really convenient to get to Monterey/Carmel - but honestly, you can probably do much better than this place for the price ($220 for Friday-Monday).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2010

We booked at the last minute before we left home and our room was ready when we arrived a few hours later. The counter person was real pleasant and extremely helpful not that I am real demanding but we like extra things for our comfort. We were given our keys and the extra pillows and went to our room. It had 2 large queen size beds, refrigerator, TV, and other supplies. When we left the next day they had a nice continental breakfast and newspaper in the common room, so we stopped and visited before we left for our final foray into the stores. This hotel is just what I like, clean, pleasant employees, and like a second home.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Sand Castle Inn
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
#8 of 56 in Monterey
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside

Been to Econo Lodge Bay Breeze? Share your experiences!