“I'm a fan. I'll more that likely go back.”
Review of House of Gyros

House of Gyros
Ranked #71 of 92 Restaurants in Seaside
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed September 11, 2013

It was very tasty. Reasonable, very yummy food, family friendly, great customer service!!! Definetely try their falafel, its light and not super greasy. If you're going for an authentic ambience, this is not the place, but if you're going for good food then its the right spot!! I just wish they were closer to downtown monterey or had another branch close to my work......I had a falafel gyro, he asked if I wanted harrissa ( hot S), and I wished I had said no ( very hot). The falafel was great and fresh made, as were the sauces. One of the best places for a good halal gyro in Monterrey bay

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This restaurant just recently opened. I was anxious to try it as I do love a good Felafel. The first thing that I noticed when I walked into this place was the absence of the very pleasant aroma that I often smell when walking into a good middle eastern restaurant. I ordered a Felafel and I noticed the sound of a microwave. Never a good sign. The felafel wrap was in a flat bread rather than the usual Pita bread that is much more common. Because the bread was not even heated up it had a cardboard like taste to it. The felafel was very bland. The only thing good about it was the tahini dressing was tasty, but not enough to make up for the dry texture of the flat bread. The second time I ate there was with my girlfriend and we both ended up with diarrhea, we believe from the food probably not being kept a safe temperature.

I returned for a second visit to try the Gyro. On the menu, in-spite of the name they don't even refer to these lamb wraps as Gryros. Very interesting. The meat I was told was not all lamb but rather a ground then molded mixture of lamb and beef. It lacked seasoning. Although a large piece of this molded meat was on the usual upright rotisserie, the rotisserie was not even turned on, and instead the meat was heated on a conveyer belt oven, like you would find in some chain sandwich shops. I was very disappointed. The menu looked like it was made on a home computer and poorly designed and uninformative. If you want a good felafel you will need to go to the Mediterranean Market on Lighthouse Ave. in New Monterrey, where you can also enjoy a cup of good Turkish coffee and many interesting groceries.