“Good sushi in Seaside”

Harumi Sushi
Ranked #10 of 88 Restaurants in Seaside
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Monterey, California
“Good sushi in Seaside”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I went in at 5pm when they were first opening and was greeted immediately by the friendly guys behind the sushi bar, and that's where the service ended. I was told to order at the counter for take-out and went over and stood quietly for way too long before I was acknowledged. I said I wanted to place an order to take out and she seemed quite frazzled, but there were only 3-4 tables in the whole place and there was a second waitress so I can't imagine she was truly busy, and if she was she's just a bad waitress (I happen to be an ex-waitress, 13 years of doing it in much busier , crowded places too) anyway, she never smiled, told me to wait and finally, and rudely took my order. Her name badge said Christine, which I decided to note after her shoddy and unfriendly service. I paid for my order and left a tip, and never once was thanked, I even left the tip before I got my food to show that I'm not another cheap take out orderer, but not of my niceties seemed to matter to her. The guys behind the counter all seemed very friendly and nice but they could have changed there conversation subjects while in front of customers! Ok so the food, sashimi was very good, but a bit more shiso leaves and a slice of lemon would have elevated it nicely. The roll I got was ok, not very flavorful. I'd try the place again, maybe try some of their other interesting sounding rolls.
All in all, average, if the service was better I might have given it higher marks. If they worked on staffing and customer service the place would be great!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Gonetravellin34

Monterey, California
“Rolls”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My favourite place to get Rolls!
Some of my personal favs:
Captain Crunch, Grinch roll, Lover's Point, Carmel Valley!
Wish they provide delivery. But they don't.
You can call in advance to place an order though.

• Visited August 2012
Carmel, California
“Very fresh fish and a homey atmosphere”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Cozy, some sports bar energy, but overall really nice restaurant specializing in Sushi with other Japanese dishes. I lvoe their seaweed salad and sashimi dinner!

Visited November 2011
Bozeman, Montana
“Awesome Sushi”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We eat sushi quite a bit and so do the friends we went there with. As we drove to Seaside and towards the restaurant I was thinking this doesn't look like a place that would have great sushi. Boy was I wrong. It was outstanding and as another reviewer said they had some great innovative sushi items as well as the traditional. I would go there once a week if they were in my town. The staff was beyond friendly and the service amazing. Go there!!!

• Visited May 2012
Bozeman, Montana
“Look no further for great dining!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We went to Harumi on a Sunday night based on a recommendation from a friend. We were staying in Monterery and had never been to Seaside and the trip was well worth it. Don't be misled by its strip-mall location. The menu is amazing and they had a terrific assortment of daily specials. The service could not have been better (all restaurants could learn from them!) but our sushi stole the show. We had fantastic rolls and the sashimi was as good as we've ever had. If you love sushi like we do, don't hesitate to give Harumi a try. You'll be glad you did!

• Visited April 2012