“Excellent Sushi in Seal Beach”

Koi Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Seal Beach
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant Koi is a family-owned Japanese Restaurant in Seal Beach, California. Koi has been making authentic sushi and Japanese cuisine under the same ownership for over thirty years.
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I visited Koi with 2 co-workers from the NYC area. I found Koi via Urbanspoon which gave it great reviews. It was a toss up between Koi and Mahe- and Koi was the winning choice.
I'll start by saying when we walked in, the entire place was packed- always a good sign!
The service and food was outstanding! We tried several rolls and sushi and while not quite as diverse as what would be offered in the NYC area- all were excellent!!
We left stuffed and if I'm ever in the area, I'll be certain to visit again!

1  Thank MrTG

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Restaurant Koi on PCH in Seal Beach has the freshest sushi in the Long Beach area. Sit at the sushi bar and ask for Daigo (sushi chef). He will make you amazing dishes - each unique and tasty. Cooked dishes are also very good at Koi.

1  Thank hyknski
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We are regulars at Koi so I was shocked to read about poor service. I have eaten there at least 75 times over 12 years and have never once had poor service. It is wildly popular especially since another sushi favorite of 30 years shut its door in 2011 due to the recession. So, it does get load and busy at lunch and dinner all week long for the most part. If you can make it for lunch before noon and before six for dinner, you will have a much better time of it.

The Yellowtail sashimi is the best I have ever had, bar none. The appetizer Grilled Sea Bass Miso Yaki (I eat for dinner with a Cali roll) is delicious. The house salad is a must if you like cabbage — very healthy and tasty. The price is moderate given the quality. The atmosphere is very traditional Japanese, no dancing on the sushi bar or salutations for newcomers or birthdays. We see folks of all ages there, couples and families. It's a great place to be!

1  Thank Kari D
Reviewed December 31, 2011

There are a few places I return to when visiting Seal Beach where I grew up. This is one of them. Their quality is unmatched and food is always delicious! It will make a non sushi eater convert!

1  Thank Shaw98501
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We had an appallingly bad experience at Koi last night. Secured a table for three to celebrate a birthday. Hungry, about 7pm. Sushi bar and restaurant were full, with what appeared to be waiting customers and some carryout trade. We started by ordering 1 rainbow roll, 1 california roll, 1 spider roll and miso soups. The soups came in about ten minutes. Over 45 minutes later, after an inquiry, they sent out a california roll. At fifty minutes from order, and as we watched to-go and sushi bar patrons come and go, we finally saw a mediocre rainbow roll and later, the spider roll. What happened? "Um they got behind on rolls". No apology, no accommodation and needless to say we ordered no dinner and went elsewhere to salvage our night. Oh, after we paid the $60 check. Neither waitstaff nor manager cared about the extreme delay (for food that was far from perfect), and that's why we won't be back.

4  Thank lauranlauren