“Fly Thai”

Good for: Families with children
San Diego, California
“Fly Thai”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Yelp led me here and I couldn't be more grateful.

Hidden in the back of a small shopping area on PCH (I realize hidden on PCH sounds a bit peculiar but bare with me here) is a classy little Thai joint just wanting to make you and your stomach happy.

Everyone is warmly and genuinely greeted as they walk in.
I happened to order to go so I approached the bar. I was offered a glass of Ice water with Lemon while I waited/perused the menu.

They have all your traditional Thai dishes but this place wont cut any corners to make them. I had the Beef Salad and some Tom Yum with Chicken.

The Tom Yum wasnt greasy or overly oily at all. all the veggies were thickly cut which is nice.

The beef salad was good. Ample portion of beef and some great dressing.
While waiting the owner came up to introduce himself. He inquired about my day, how I was doing, etc, but not in an intrusive way. Actually, we spoke for a good time and suddenly, I felt like I was family and I just knew I would be back before even taking my first bite. Just by how he and his staff would treat other customers, you can tell they really do go full length to make you happy.

When I try some new dishes I will write again, but my first experience blows it out of the water. Nice discovery now that Thai Boom is gone!

Visited October 2013

Long Beach, California
“Flavorful food + charming staff”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you live in Belmont Shore, you've probably had Thai Gourmet by Srimaya, on the downtown end of 2nd Street with the inviting red exterior. And there's nothing wrong with their food. We were thinking of making dinner there a regular thing in our rotation, but on a whim we tried Rocharin in Seal Beach, and I don't think we will ever go back to Thai Gourmet. Here are a few reasons: (1) the staff at Rocharin are some of the nicest you will meet. They smile because they are happy to see you, not because they feel like they have to.They genuinely want you to enjoy yourself and your food. Jack is the owner, and it's impossible not to like him. (2) The inside is tasteful and relaxing. It's a bit dark, but there are always fresh flowers on the table and cushions on the benches along the perimeter of the restaurant. A few flatscreens in discreet corners rotate images of tempting Thai dishes and idyllic Thai scenes, and small decorative birdcages hang over the tables at the center of the restaurant. (3) Not least, every dish we've had here is consistent and flavorful. Granted, we've not been too adventurous yet, but that's in part because we usually arrive with a deep craving for the dishes that have become our favorites: BBQ Pork Noodle Soup, Rad Na Noodles, and Spring Rolls. Whether you dine in or take out, the dishes are served hot (temperature-wise. You can control the spiciness by adding the condiments they bring you on the side) and are reliably full of flavor. Being a vegetarian, I can't say firsthand how the the BBQ Pork Noodle soup is, but I'm told it's both light and filling. The Rad Na Noodles with your choice of steamed or fried tofu satisfy my desire for savory gravy and the comforting bite of rice noodles while delivering some vegetable nutrition in the form of perfectly steamed and bright green broccoli florets.

Only one time did I manage to leave enough room for dessert, and I chose the Sticky Rice with Mango on Jack's recommendation. I need to learn to save room more often because it hit the spot: beautifully plated white and black sticky rice drizzled with syrupy coconut cream and brightened by sliced strawberries and mango at the height of ripeness. The balance of sweetness from the fruit plus a touch of saltiness from the rice warmed with coconut cream: can't think of a better end to the meal.

So go here, and return often. You'll leave feeling extremly pleased with your meal and with supporting a family-owned business that, still being under a year old, can use all the regulars it can get to keep it open and thriving.

• Visited July 2013
California
“Our family's favorite place”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

My friend insisted I come here last year because at the time I was writing restaurant reviews. I promptly fell in love with the place the food and the owners who are the nicest people ever. I have been to Thailand and the food is very authentic. Even the dishes they serve in are nice. My teenagers beg to eat here they always want the mild yellow curry. If you can stand the spice get the green curry it is outstanding but hot. My kids love the shrimp in a nest appetizer. This location had two former Thai restaurants that did not make it but give it a try. I am torn between giving them a plug because they are so sweet and telling people to stay away. My only wish would be for patio dining but this location has none sadly.

• Visited May 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Missed it by that much.....”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I decided on Rocharin because a) we love Thai food and b) the previous visit to Siam was not up to standard. We found it tucked a little way off Pacific Coast Highway in a small, inviting spot. Interior was also inviting - subdued, plain and clean. We were seated immediately and shortly were greeted by Jack, the owner. The staff was courteous and efficient. My wife ordered duck and I had the soft shell crab. Since the appetizers (satay) were a little cold, we were afraid the entrees would be also and, alas, we were right. Delicious, yes, but not hot. Also, my wife's dish came well after mine, which was off-putting. Despite this, I would rate the friendliness of the wait staff highly and would consider returning on the basis of taste alone.

• Visited February 2013
St. George, Utah
“Great food and service”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great experience. The food is outstanding and as good as any place we ate on numerous trips to Thailand. The service is excellent, just as you would expect from a Thai place. The atmosphere was very nice, quite with soft jazz in the background. The prices were much lower then one would expect for the quality of food and service. Met all of our expectation.

• Visited January 2013