“WARNING: FOOD POISONING POTENTIAL”
Review of Mahe

Mahe
Ranked #19 of 94 Restaurants in Seal Beach
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seal Beach Blvd
Description: Welcome to Mahe Restaurant in Seal Beach. Our atmosphere is cool, casual and comfortable. Our amazing kitchen and sushi chefs create a most unique dining experience. Come in and see what we’re all about - we promise you won't be disappointed. Due to limited seating, the sushi bar is first come first served. We will do our best to seat you at your requested table as soon as one is available.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

FOOD POISONING ALERT November 2, 2013 (Orange County Health Dept.)

We stopped by Mahe on Saturday, November 2nd, mainly to see a band. Luckily, we scored a table in the bar and settled in at the bar, which doesn't have much seating space. Our server was Katelyn. We ate a couple of appetizers. The only one we shared was crab cakes. The crab cakes seemed a litlle on the mushy side and spread out quickly like pancakes. After eating, we left for home. 2-3 hours later we were both vomiting in unison, over-and-over. Clearly, it was a case of food poisoning. We have been sick for days.

We went to the doctor (just in case we picked up a parasite). Our physician's prognosis was "food posioning." I sent two emails to the corporate Mahe email account with the details. There was no response. Nice. I followed-up with a formal report to the Orange County Health Department in case there were other patrons who experienced similar symptoms.

The O.C. Heath Dept. Inspector sent out an inspector on 11/5/2013. The inspector found health violations at Mahe. Here are the public record details from O.C. Food Protection Services (as posted online at O.C. Environmental Health) violations:

1) Improper Warewashing/Inoperable Dishmachine

2) Unsanitary Equipment/Utensil/Linen/Plumbing

3) Improper Food Storage/Receiving

Further, to make matters worse. Here are the SHOCKING results (posted online with O.C. Health Dept.) from an inspection just days earlier on 10/15/2013 (with a mandatory follow-up inspection on 10/23/2013). Yes, the Health Inspector was there just 17 days earlier on 10/15/2013 writing up Mahe management for violations.

1) Improper Sanitizer Concentration/Method

2) Improper Warewashing/Inoperable Dishmachine

3) Shellfish Commingling/Tags/Signs

4) Improper Holding Temp of PHF (60F-120F), (50F-59F)

5) Unsanitary Equipment/Utensils/Linen/Plumbing

6) Improper Holding Temperatures of PHF

7) Lack of/Unsanitary/Condition Walls/Floors/Ceilings

8) Lack of Food Protection Manager Certificate (No certified food protection Mgr.)

I'D BE WARY OF THIS ESTABLISHMENT. THEY CLEARLY HAVE A HISTORY OF HEALTH ISSUES. CHECK O.C. HEALTH DEPT. RECORDS ONLINE. I'M SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS THE KIND OF FOOD (SUSHI/SEA FOOD) WHICH REQUIRES THE UTMOST CARE AND USE OF HEALTH AND SAFETY INDUSTRY STANDARDS.

2  Thank socaltripper

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here on a Sunday night and it was so wonderful! We just had sushi, appetizers and cocktails but they were divine. The snow cone sushi and tataki (sp?) were my favorites. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in seal beach as they had a little bit of everything on the menu!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Out of my three nights spend in the Seal Beach area, the meal I had at Mahe was tops.

I sat at the sushi bar and struck up a conversation with a neighbor at the bar who has been coming back each week for a while. The rolls I tried backed up the other patron's praise, and the service from the gentlemen behind the bar was top notch.

I highly recommend sitting at the bar as the experience at the bar matches the ambiance of the establishment much more than it would to sit at a table or booth.

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I took my sister & brother in-law there & all three of us agreed we had a fabulous dining experience. Started off with 4 separate appetizers we shared moving onto salads, all 7 items uniquely different & delicious. Loved the stuffed squash blossoms & crab cakes; grilled artichoke too dried out. Beet salad perfect flavors! Entrees were fish plates, large enough servings 2 of us took leftovers home. Desserts were divine! Very spendy but worth the money and our waiter was attentive with a lively personality. Definitely going back. The earlier the reservation the quieter.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We ate here last year on a weekend trip to Seal Beach and loved it. Thie time, there were issues(3 strikes, they're out).
1st - Missing Avocade in one of our rolls. Sushi Chef claimed they never put avocado in their Albacore Jalapeno Roll when it clearly states it on the menu. He looked at the menu and said oh they must have just changed it.

2nd - I was offered roasted fingerlings as a side to my halibut. Right before it was served they told me the chef quit making them.

3rd - Dessert List, we ordered the Vanilla Bean cheesecake. Server came back, they just ran out!

So we asked her(Courtney, who was lovely throughout) how about another Martini on the house for all the issues we had. She went to ask her "manager" (Craig). He said he couldn't do it but would take the $5 Salmon sushi off our bill. He didn't even have the managerial skills to come tell us himself, he sent her. I have NEVER had that happen, when there's a problem the manager always comes over. Would we go back, probably but only on a night when there is a real manager on duty.