“Best Sushi Around”

Cuisines: Sushi
Long Beach, California
“Best Sushi Around”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you are a true fan of sushi, not fancy/crazy rolls. but pure sushi as in fish and rice, then Ryokan is your place. My wife and I have suffered through many sushi meals where the fish wasnt fresh or every piece is some sort of over done roll, but no more. We were lucky to find Ryokan while riding our bikes a year ago and havent gone anywhere else locally since. We just returned from a long vacation where we had terrible sushi and this was the first place we went when we got back.

Ryokan is tucked away in a shopping center and we always passed it on the way to main st in Seal Beach. When we walked in we noticed that there were large chunks of very fresh fish on the chefs cutting board. He very proudly picked it up and showed how fresh it was. He then proceeded to do that with 10 other types of fish and went on to tell me how the owner goes to the fish market every morning. They have a white board behind the counter which shows the fresh fish of the day; order whatever is on there. There fresh sushi is the best i have ever had and my friends and colleagues are never let down after I build this place up and take them there. Try the spicy edamame as an appetizer and If you are going to order a roll. try the Hip Hop Ryokan Roll, it is quite tasty.

The place is medium size and gets filled up around 8. They do take reservations on weeknights and usually give a 20-30 discount to dine in eaters.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MattA55

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Fabulous Experience”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

As a family we were in Seal Beach and craving sushi. We randomly found this fabulous little spot and spent time tasting truly wonderful dishes. I can not say which I enjoyed the most. In our group there were some who had eaten a lot of sushi/sashimi in the past and a couple who are novices. All enjoyed the various treats. The welcoming atmosphere and friendly service were the icing on the cake. I highly recommend this little treat of a restaurant.

• Visited January 2013