“Tea for Four”

McKenna's Tea Cottage
Reserve with OpenTable
McKenna's Tea Cottage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We celebrated my sisters birthday. It was a charming place. The food and the tea were good. We also enjoyed trying on the hats and taking pictures. Will return next month for another birthday celebration.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I bought a Groupon here for my mom and I to have a special day out. We had a reservation. The biggest problem here was lack of staff. It took 40 minutes before we got our sandwiches. They were out of the tea we wanted. The tea was served first and that was all we had for the longest time. The noise level in there was crazy. That's not really their fault but the arrangement of the room makes it such that the 'tea for two' tables are right next to large parties and all within one tight room. It was also warm in there. The soup was lovely. Sandwiches were just okay. The biggest disappointment was the scones/clotted cream. The scone tasted like Bisquick and the cream was not even close to the real thing. It was cream cheese!! We complained about this and were told it is was they use. Well, then don't advertise that you have clotted cream. We had to ask for the sandwiches. The gal who served us was doing her best and was very pleasant. I felt bad for her. Luckily the area is nice for a stroll aftewards and that kind of saved the day.

1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I are big fans of tea houses, so we were happy to see a Groupon for high tea at McKenna's Tea Cottage. We went with my adult daughter on a Sunday. It's a small, very cute place in an old-timey area of Seal Beach--very fun to stroll around. But the day we were there, McKenna's was extremely understaffed. I only saw one waitress, and after she took our order she didn't return until it was time for the check (someone else brought food). If she HAD returned, we would have told her that the white tea blend had been badly over-steeped and had turned bitter to the point of being undrinkable. An herbal blend had fared only slightly better. Of our 3 teas, only the black one had survived their treatment. So we all 3 drank that one, planning to ask for more at the earliest opportunity--which, of course, never came. As for the food, although the scones were only OK, the sandwiches and dessert were excellent. For me, however, the poor tea and absent service means that I will go elsewhere for high tea--the Tea House at Los Rios in San Juan Capistrano comes to mind. Why be a tea house if you're going to dis-respect the tea?? I gave McKenna's 3 stars because I think it shows some promise and I love the tea house concept. But the experience itself was closer to 2 stars.

3  Thank California-SLC
Reviewed February 23, 2013

As bona fide tea lovers, daughter and I made a reservation during the busy holiday month. The chill in the air made it a perfect day for tea and all that comes with it!

The soup warmed us and the scones and assorted sandwiches were nicely displayed on tiered plates...most were familiar and tasty. Having little room for dessert, we could only sample the sweets.

McKenna's has the right idea and atmosphere for a date with tea. The offering of fancy hats brought back fond memories of the once and ever-popular Mary Poppins Tea so take your daughter, niece, mom, or friend and enjoy the sound of clinking china...it's worth it, especially if you have a Groupon!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family took a friend to high tea for her birthday. McKenna allowed us to use 2 Groupons, so we got four Queen Mum's Tea for the price of two. We also got a princess tea for our four-year-old daughter (and got pink lemonade instead of a pot of tea). What was different at McKenna's versus the other tea places we have been to is they have hats for people to wear while they are having tea. My 2 daughters and our friend all put on hats; they had fun playing dress up.

The tomato basil soup was thick. The blue cheese salad was so so. We ordered 4 different teas: black currant, peach and passion fruit, lavender lace, and the McKenna blend. (They were out of the chocolate mint tea.) All 5 of us at the table tried each of the 4 teas and agreed they were good. One person did not like the lavender lace and thought it was too minty. I like having two types of sugar cubes at the table at other tea places. At McKenna's, they had just the white sugar cubes and honey. The honey at our table congealed and wouldn't pour; we had to ask for another one. Also, I like how other tea places have cream on the table and individual servings of devonshire cream and jam. At McKenna, I had to ask for cream and everyone shared the devonshire cream and jam. The scones and 4 little bite size desserts (apple, lemon, berry cheesecake, and pecan) were yummy! The sandwiches (tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, cheese) were okay.

The prices were about the same as the other tea places in southern CA. Service was okay. I will go back if another Groupon is offered.

Note: There are only 7 parking spaces in the lot shared by 3 businesses. We got there 30 minutes before they opened and got a spot in the lot and had a nice stroll down Main Street to the pier. Our friend got there at noon when they opened and the lot was full. While she was looking for street parking, she crossed double yellow lines and got ticketed. The cop would not let her off even though it was her birthday!

1  Thank Matthew J