“Excellent!!!!!”

Salsalito Taco Shop
Ranked #22 of 81 Restaurants in Sausalito
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Baja-style mexican with a California Twist! Enjoy outdoor casual dining right across from the water in beautiful Sausalito.
Reviewed May 14, 2010

On our 1st stop of our honeymoon and took the 18 mile bike ride from the Bay to Triburon, CA. We stopped in Salsalito for lunch and found this taco place on the side of the road outside the local tourist area. WHAT A FIND!!!!!!! Great local place, excellent homemade chips at a great value. We didn't feel too guilty indulging that day due to our long bike ride. We would go back again and again! Thank you for a great experience and great mexican food. Until next time......

Reviewed March 22, 2010

If I could give this place negative stars, I would. DO NOT GO HERE. They pull a bait-and-switch and treat customers like dirt.

We went here 2 weekends ago for lunch and I had one of the worst experiences I've ever had at a restaurant. After getting seated, we immediately get 3 kinds of salsa placed in front of us and are asked if we want chips and guacamole. I responded by saying that we didn't want guac, but if the chips were free (like they are at every Mexican restaurant on the planet), we'll gladly take some. The hostess acted like she suddenly couldn't speak English but she mumbled yes. To clarify, I repeated my question again about the chips being complimentary and she again said yes.

After we got the "free" overcooked/burned chips, we ordered our fish and chicken tacos with spicy beans and rice. What was once a cheap lunch turned into an expensive meal because it was an extra $4 each for the beans and another dollar for a "bigger" (according to the menu) flour tortilla instead of a corn tortilla. After our tiny tacos come out, my taco with the "bigger" flour tortilla was the exact same size as my girlfriend's miniature corn tortilla taco.

The spicy beans and rice were actually pretty good, but then I remembered I paid $4 for them to fill me up because the baby taco sure didn't. We asked for another basket of chips because, ya know, they were "free" and all.

When we finish and get the bill, we are charged TWICE for $3 chips and salsa! I ask our unfriendly server (who I think was also the manager/owner) what was the deal, he proceeded to argue with me for a good 2 or 3 minutes that the chips weren't free and tried to BS me by saying it was the hostess' first day. I told him it wasn't my problem and that I refused to pay for them. He argued a little more and said he'd only take off one of the $3 chip charges because he said... get this... "they are homemade". Uh.... What? Either way, they weren't good. Would have been better off with my stale tortilla chips I got at the grocery store 2 years ago.

After he returns with the revised bill, the server continues to argue and tells me that "Sausalito is expensive" and we "shouldn't expect free chips". Well, I wouldn't expect them if we weren't told they were free.

A Mexican lunch with no drinks except tap water cost me $25. WTF? And a rude and disrespectful manager/server to go along with the experience. Avoid this place if you don't like to be treated like garbage or don't like getting ripped off. 1 star out of 5. Pitiful.

dumplingsina, owner at Salsalito Taco Shop, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2010

As the owners of Salsalito Taco Shop, we take great pride in what we do- serving great baja-style Mexican cuisine in a casual atmosphere. We want our guests to enjoy their experience and are always open to feedback. After reading this testimonial, we chatted with the staff about the experience. We do, in fact, print on our menu that our housemade chips come with a charge of $3- it is represented on the "to begin" portion of our menu. Why we do we charge for chips? We prep our chips fresh daily, removing our stove and rolling in a giant wok to cook them. Labor intensive? Yes! Well worth it? We think so! It is, however, unfortunate that this client feels we have"deceptive business practices"-we print our menus carefully with specific detail to description and cost, and we do not bring chips to the table unless asked. We can appreciate that there may be differing sides to each individuals' impression of events. After we spoke with the server who took care of this client, he clearly recalled the interaction and attempted to resolve the issue by removing one of the orders of chips."The client also agreed that our server accommodated that. Moving forward, we, as a staff and family have agreed to try to ensure the best communication possible for our guests. We want you to come, relax and enjoy what we have to offer. Happy travels and thanks again for your feedback, Mario and Bree

Reviewed January 15, 2010

Have eaten here twice now, on a hot day it can't be beaten. In cooler months its not as pleasant sitting inside, but winter is winter.

Had excellent fish tacos here and basic chips and salsa. Great cocktail too.

Perfectly satisfied my need for super spicey food and the service was good, friendly and food quick to the table.

Taco's should be flavorful and simple - fresh and zingy - that's what we got.

Reviewed August 4, 2009

Great place - we were visiting from Dallas and had grown tired of the multitude of Italian restaurants and Ice-Cream parlors and found this place just a small walk away from the chaos surrounding the Ferry landing (Bikes everywhere - nice day brought 'em out!) The Black Bean soup was great, the salsa's were homemade tasting and wonderful, and I had the Saulsalito shrimp taco's.... yum .. would go back if I had a few days to let the onion breath pass!!!

Reviewed August 10, 2008

This place has decent food but, as long-time Sausalito residents, we will never go back there. Some quirks are annoying but not a deal-breaker such as their policy of never seating two people at a table for four, even if the place is empty.
They are very tricky about asking if you want chips and salsa, never mentioning it costs extra. They also have a few sauces which they will enumerate for you but without telling you that one of them costs extra. The woman who identified herself as the owner let us know that she doesn't care if you've been a good customer, only the money matters and, with all the visitors, she doesn't need to cater to locals.
The food is decent and a tad expensive but the attitude sucks.

1  Thank RoadWarrior420
dumplingsina, owner at Salsalito Taco Shop, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2010

As the owner of Salsalito Taco Shop, I always have the interest of both locals and tourists, alike, in mind. I take pride in running and owning a small restaurant in Sausalito, serving up great fare with reasonable prices. It is unfortunate that this guest did not have the experience I would hope for, and I have personally invited him back to enjoy it properly.We also both agreed we have yet to meet. Looking forward to it...