“Italy in Saualito”
Review of San Drino

San Drino
Ranked #30 of 85 Restaurants in Sausalito
Reviewed May 1, 2018

After biking across the bridge from San Francisco to Sausalito, we were looking for a restaurant to replenish our bodies. We looked on TripAdvisor and came across San Drino. Thank goodness!! The place is a cute warm environment. The service is friendly and informative. But the food, is superb!! We had the Delicious spincach salad. It was refreshing and well seasoned. Then each had our own pizza. i had the Romeo, and added ricotta cheese to it. My husband had the Trentina, and he added garlic. Our 11 yr old girls had the margherita, and a margherita with sausage. We all finished every single slice of our pizzas!! They were perfectly baked and so tasty. Plus my husband and I shared a bottle of an amazing red blend wine. We couldn't have asked for a better restaurant to come to. Made our visit to Sausalito perfect! Can't wait to come back!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed April 15, 2018

Despite it being just over the bridge, I don't come to Sausalito often. But, I'm always on the search for good pizza, and have been pretty satisfied in SF, although the toppings in SF can stray from being Italian, which I love. But, this place nails the thin crust with toppings that stick to, what I consider authentically Italian. The edges were crispy, with some of the crust at the air pockets blackened. The center was still soft, without it being soggy at all. I couldn't find any faults with the pizza at all.

We also got the bruschetta of the day, with burrata and some purple sprouts. Several light flavors that blended quite well.

There are several other Italian places in the area, but, even if they're as good, which I doubt, this place is quiet, and away from the crowds, so I'll stick with this place.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed February 10, 2018

Had a mother daughter lunch here while staying in Sausalito and absolutely loved it. The pizza and spinach salad were pretty pricey but all amazing and worth it. It is a Italian family owned business, and you can tell authentic in every way. The food is awesome, and service was great too. Wouldn't recommend coming with a large party, because the indoor seating area is pretty small. You have got to try this restaurant if you want amazing pizza!! Best my mother and I have both had since visiting Italy.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed January 15, 2018

This is a wonderful casual fun atmosphere place with the best thin crust pizza in Marin County. I was in the Real Estate business for years and when we described a property for sale as "cozy", it meant small. Here it is described as "cozy" but there is a casual fun loving atmosphere and albeit bit noisy, this is the way it is in Italia with people laughing & enjoying each other's company and the food...for me it's called "Vivaci" in Italian, (lively).

Alessandro and Monika(Austrian) are from Trentino alto Adige. The northern part of this region was obtained from Austria as a result of Italy's alliance with the allies in WW1. The very famous ski resort Cortina d' Ampezzo is here. Menus are in Italian and German. We have been to Bolzano (Bolzen) 3 times, one time over Christmas to see the Christmas markets. Lower part of the region signs are in Italian first then German and in the north in German on top and Italian after. In this region, in the lower Italian section, Trentino, their had a restaurant for over 10 years. On a visit here they fell in love with Sausalito. And why not, with the houses clinging to the hills, our Mediterranean weather and the view of the water it is like many coastal and lake towns in Italia.

Sandrino and his wife are very personable & I appreciate talking in the language of my roots although their English is better than my Italian. And I like humor and find it is a better medicine sometimes than actual prescriptions. His wife to his left(see photo) makes the pastas. She was out a couple of months with an injury and the waitress on the right attended to us. I noticed her tummy getting bigger as she got pregnant. Love the T-Shirts. It's not Sandro's, It's not mine and it better not be.

The pizza here is one of the best I've had outside of Napoli. It's sort of like a “Pizzetta”, one size and usually one meal for one person. I observe in my many trips to Italy that I see groups of 4,6, 8 only thin, shapely women, and the waiter would not bring out a gigantic pizza like in America but each person had their own. I thought maybe they'd only have a salad after but "no", the pizza was an appetizer and the next few courses, to which Italians are accustomed, followed. The custom of many ingredients on a pizza is American. The best Italian pizzas have 3-4 ingredients and one of my favorites here is "The Margherita"- it's very simple with the red of the Tomato, the white of the Mozzarella and the fresh Green Basil which represent the 3 colors in the Italian flag. But as my roots are from Southern Italy, I like Tomatoes and love their pizza with many of the Pasta alla Puttanesca ingredients, anchovies, kalamata olives, garlic & capers. They have some very creative appetizers, salads, delicious pasta dishes(hand made), nice dessert & I like their house wine.

We are fortunate indeed they brought the results of their cooking ability to Sausalito and Marin County. And I recommend to those in San Francisco with cars or who take the Ferry, do your self a favor and come here.

Photo I described above and the next I call a Pizza Family and an a photo I took in Italy with everyone eating their own pizza.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

Wow. True Italian pizza. So very delicious and such a quaint place! You can tell it is a family business. They are all so happy and funny.

Date of visit: December 2017