“A Smelly Experience”

Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed the night for a wedding. The two stars are because the architecture and layout of the rooms is awesome. We loved the loft feel and the soaking tub was a plus.

First of all, I didn't think the elevator was sturdy enough to take us to the 4th floor. It was scary, and slow. After making it upstairs to our room, we noticed a weird smell in our room. We didn't think much of it because we were only in there briefly to change. After the wedding, we returned and the smell was nauseating. It smelled like old cheese. We had the front door open to try to air it out since the ventilation was not working well. We ended up calling the front desk, who fortunately sent someone up with a spray and spritzed the whole room. I would rather have the room smell like chemicals than cheese. He told us to let the front desk know about it and we'd get a discount (this didn't happen).

This weekend was surprisingly warm for Sausalito, and the fact that the A/C barely worked didn't make the experience any better. The lack of bathroom ventilation after taking a shower made it so it was impossible to stay in the top part of the loft afterwards. Top that off with the fact that our room was right next to the laundry room, which sounded like a helicopter taking off every half hour, I wasn't very happy. Also upon leaving, we found the last guest's trash behind the desk. The possible culprit of the smell? I didn't want to find out.

For the price (and our experience) I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank K8Bee
Stefan M, General Manager at Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

We are truly sorry that the scent from our recent carpet deep-cleaning was still noticeable upon your arrival and wish to extend our sincerest apologies.

Every effort is made to seek products and services of local origin and that are environmentally benign. To that end, we had chosen an environmentally responsible service to clean our flooring - and it appears the organic cleaning solutions used in the hot water extraction had not dissapated in time, and some of the items left behind by the team had not been removed from the room before you checked in. You may rest assured, however, the accommodations have since been properly dehumidified to ensure a fresh and clean environment.

We hope you will consider staying with us again. When it is time to make a reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel, so that we may assign an appropriate room category, based on your preferences - and at the very best available rate.

There are newer reviews for Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great location, spacious rooms, fantastic views - we spent a very memorable and relaxing mini-vacation with our two children (ages 7 and 9) at the Casa, which is ideally located right in the heart of Sausalito.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank YET72
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stopped off in Sausalito for dinner while traveling north and decided to stay overnight. Happened upon Casa Madrona and was given a warm and welcoming reception although we walked in off the streets without a reservation. They gave us a great bay facing room and urged us to stay longer to experience the spa services the next day. What started as a quick overnight trip turned into a relaxing and pampered spa day due to the hotel giving us a generous late checkout at no charge. Unbelievable staff and facilities - we will stay here anytime we are near Sausalito. Front desk staff is to be commended for their service and hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stefan M, General Manager at Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

We are so happy that you took the time to experience our spa.

With our recent renovations, it’s now even more luxurious than ever. Inspired by our seaside location and hillside setting in Sausalito, our treatments incorporate natural elements to refresh your body and soul - and it sounds like we succeeded in turning a "standard" departure day into an unexpected pampering experience...

Here's to more of those kinds of nice surprises!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here two nights after our wedding. It was just what we needed to kick back and soak in Sausalito. Perfect location that overlooks the harbor. The beds are extremely comfortable and things were quiet enough to sleep with the windows open! The restaurant attached to the hotel offered a simple but tasty breakfast. Only downside may be the cost of parking. We had a groupon so it was included, but it's usually $24 a day. Definitely plan on going back!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our stay here was above & beyond what we expected! The room was spacious and clean! Our balcony overlooked the bay (and the main street) and the views were wonderful. I do have to admit that once we turned off our TV we could hear the family next door....a baby that cried until late into the night.
My time at the spa was enlightening! Patty, my masseuse, was very knowledgable and took the time to recommend excersises to help me with some pain I have been experiencing. Again....above & beyond!
I highly recommend a stay here...you will be happy you did!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

In planning a recent trip to San Francisco and Wine Country, I happened to go onto Living Social Escapes to see what vacation packages I might find. I found one on there for Casa in Sausalito and having spent only a few hours in Sausalito on a previous trip to CA, I thought this would be a perfect way to end our trip before flying home out of San Francisco the next day.

I had booked my stay through LivingSocial on line at the time I purchased the package (or so I thought)...apparently the reservation hadn't gone through and fortunately for us, I discovered this early enough that when I called the hotel, Willie, the Front Desk Manager, was able to accommodate our booking for the one night. Not only was Willie able to save the day, but he went above and beyond to ensure our stay was exceptional. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and found a nice bottle of wine with a note in our room upon arrival.

The hotel is in a great location and our suite was like a mini town house on a split level- very cool. I enjoyed soaking in the big bath while my husband went to the spa for a quick steam. We were told about their pillow service upon check in, but it wasn't until I got into the room and read it on their ammenities sheet that I understood what they were talking anout. Talk anout being pampered! At no additional charge, you can select from any number of numerous options to help you fall off to zz land. I selected the lavender scented mini pillow as well as the ginormous body pillow. They arrived while we stepped out to enjoy our dinner at Poggio, the restaurant beside the hotel. We enjoyed our dinner and the ambience at Poggio so much that we were back there in the morning for a delightful breakfast before packing it up and exploring the neighboring island of Tiburon, where we chose to ship some of our wine that we puchased on our trip back home.

All in all, this was a fantastic trip and it was Willie and his staff at Casa Madrona that really went out of their way to make it special for us. Great job guys. We will be back.

Denise & Michael Righetti
Boca Raton, FL

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is one of the most delightful hotels I have stayed at. Beautiful location, friendly staff, ecologically responsible practices. I can see it in the brilliant location and artistry, smell it in the fresh air, touched by the preservation of the history, taste it in the wonderful food, and feel it with the warmth of the staff and management.

Room Tip: Windows are double glazed so no need to worry about traffic noise
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Cavallo Point
Waters Edge Hotel
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!