“Best Indian Food EVER!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2016

We went here with an Indian friend of ours who loves this place and we let the waiter pick our meal for us. We were not disappointed. Everything was over the top delicious with flavors that I wanted to never end! The vegetable enchilada was incredible and don't pass on the dessert! Worth a trip back to the mainland just to eat here again!

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Matnikstym V
Write a reviewReviews (201)

Reviewed May 11, 2016

We'd heard rave reviews from several people but found Avatar's to be average Indian food. I don't know how else to put it - it wasn't bad by any means, it just wasn't close to the best Indian food we've every had. Service was excellent, very attentive. However, the place was packed and the servers were sort of frantically moving around the small space, making it not very relaxing.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed March 21, 2016

We left Muir Woods hungry and wanting a nice restaurant in which to relax, share our adventures among the giant sequoias and enjoy a good meal. What a pleasant surprise to land in Avatar's for lunch!
We were a group of 11 with a variety of tastes and special dietary needs and our waiter was most friendly and genuinely concerned with providing exactly what we liked- even if it wasn't on the menu! Special sauces, a variety of combinations, virtually anything any way we wanted! We were all so amazed at how wonderful this restaurant is.
An awesome find!

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed March 9, 2016

Mixed reviews! I certainly think the owner's approach deserves a little respect. Few people can do something so well that they can read between the lines and give you something you'll love. However, he didn't hit the nail on the head with everyone. 50/50 with our table. First off, I wouldn't serve grilled broccoli with lamb in a stir-fry style dish with rice and (what tasted like) burned vegetables (our friends). The other dish (my wife had) reminded us more of a Turkish/Armenian Lahmajoun than an Indian dish. It was good, but not what we would expect (which is also good). My dish was great and it tasted like an Indian dish.
I'll definitely be back to try something straight from the menu instead of letting the owner pick for me.

Date of visit: March 2016
5  Thank ChatWithMatt
Reviewed February 3, 2016 via mobile

I had visited Avatar's in 2013 whilst on holiday in San Francisco. It was amazing and I couldn't wait to go back again. This time, I brought my mother, who was a bit sceptical about the whole 'tell me what you like and it will be the best thing you've ever eaten' spiel from our waiter.
To her surprise, it was. As I am a celiac, both meals were gluten free. We had the yogurt chicken on a bed of rice and veg, and the Indian enchiladas. The enchiladas were the best thing I've ever eaten. Genuinely.
Although a good walk from the centre of Sausalito itself, I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Date of visit: July 2015