“Nice View but Average Food and Service”
Review of The Spinnaker

The Spinnaker
Reserve with OpenTable
The Spinnaker is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 79 Restaurants in Sausalito
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Anchor Street
Transit: Golden Gate Transit Bus: 50, 20; Golden Gate Ferry: Red & White Fleet, Blue & Gold
Description: The Spinnaker is located on the Sausalito waterfront offering panoramic views of San Francisco, Angel Island, the East Bay and Belvedere. They serve an impressive menu with fresh seafood and a fine wine selection.
Naples, Florida, United States
“Nice View but Average Food and Service”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The location of the Spinnaker is outstanding out on the point in the bay at Sausalito however the food and service experience was not outstanding. We had no reservation but were seated right away at a table with a great view of the bay. We had to wait a bit longer than I wanted for someone to come to the table and ordered drinks which came with some delay. The drinks were a bit downsized in terms of quantity (cosmo and martini) but were fine. Then we waited again for the waiter which acted very rushed and impatient. I ordered a half dozen oysters on the half shell (unwashed) and the waiter said he didn't understand unwashed so I explained and said I would like those first and as soon as possible. I also ordered the clam chowder and baby shrimp in avocado. The chowder came first, after a delay and it was good, not fine but I really wanted the oysters first. The waiter wasn't hearing anything about that though and acted insulted. The oysters were average and didn't taste exactly the freshest of the day. The avocado and shrimp were fine. The restaurant was busy but to me that did not excuse the attitude of the waiter who was complaining about his long day which would not be over for many hours (I don't care). I wouldn't go back.

2 Thank Phil B
Jeff S, Manager at The Spinnaker, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
While I'm happy to hear you were impressed with our location and view, I'm sad our service and food didn't live up to expectations, Phil. I want to assure you our seafood is as fresh as can be, and we place a lot of time and care into preparing all our dishes. It's disappointing to know your experience reflected otherwise.

I would like to apologize for the lackluster service you received from your waiter. We're always more than happy to accommodate customer requests, and your oysters should have been the first thing on your table. Rest assured, your comments will be shared with the waitstaff to ensure we're always providing our customers with warm and attentive service.

Although I understand your dissatisfaction, I hope you'll give us another chance in the future. I know we can make a better impression.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, California
“Go with low expectations & big wallet”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We visited Sausalito for the day and decided to splurge a little for lunch. After finding this restaurant on Trip Advisor and reading the reviews I made a reservation.

First, we arrived on time and were seated promptly. The window table had a wonderful view of the boats and bay. The restaurant itself is very shabby, carpet in the dining room, tattered booths and is in need of an update/renovation. The bathrooms are circa 1962 with the original wall paper and pink tile! The servers roll your food out on a cart...a little old school. The average age of the "regulars" looks to be 70.

We ordered the New England clam chowder, which was tasty, not very thick, but I prefer it that way. I had the salmon fillet on mixed greens, which the sever said was excellent. The fillet was very thin and overlooked, very dry and the salad was overdressed. It was a very small salad, for $17.50 it came on a 7-8 inch plate! Another in our group had the half avocado with shrimp, which she said was fine but not great, that was about $17 with a cup of soup.

Originally one in my group was only going to get the bowl of chowder. Then our server mentioned a minimum dining room order of $15 a person. This was not posted anywhere I could see nor was it mentioned when the reservation was made through Open Table!

No free refills on drinks unless you order ice tea.

Overall, unless they update the restaurant , improve their food and service you should arrive with low expectations, a big wallet and enjoy the view!

1 Thank JKRan
Jeff S, Manager at The Spinnaker, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience, JRinOC. While I'm happy you enjoyed the beautiful view of the bay, I'm sad your meal wasn't equally impressive. It's disappointing to know you felt our prices were high. We feel they are fair for the quality, freshness, and taste of our dishes. However, it sounds like we may have fallen short during your visit. I'll be sure to review your comments with the kitchen staff to make sure these qualities are really shining through.

As for our decor and serving methods, we think they add charm and character to our restaurant. I'm sorry if you felt otherwise. It truly sounds like you caught us on an off day, and I hope you'll think of giving us another chance should you come back to Sausalito.

All the best,

Daleville, Alabama
“Great View, Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our first time in S.F; friends had recommended the Spinnaker, and they were on the money. It sits on the water in Saulsalito and has a wonderful view of the San Francisco skyline and surrounding area. The food was very good and the service outstanding. The price was reasonable, too. Tip - take the ferry (iit is a short walk from the landing) and get a nice view of the bay on the way over. You can get the bus back to S.F. and then catch a cab back to your hotel.

Visited June 2013
Jeff S, Manager at The Spinnaker, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for this excellent review, Daleatty! I'm pleased to hear you had such an exceptional experience dining with us. Other readers will surely appreciate your tip about taking the ferry. It's definitely the best way to make the most of your visit. I hope you'll think of us the next time you're in Sausalito!

Brentwood, California
“Views are spectacular!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The menu coved every fish/shellfish one could imagine. Perhaps I just choose the wrong item on the menu for my liking. I selected the sole that was crusted in bread crumbs & macadamia nuts.....way too much covering for me!! I couldn't even taste the fish. The pasta & the steamed vegetable was outstanding.....I would definatley go back again and try something else though.
If my husband were posting this review, he would say the fish I had was very good....so it is all in the tasted buds I guess.

Visited June 2013
Jeff S, Manager at The Spinnaker, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you were so impressed with our menu selection, although, I'm sad the dish you ordered wasn't to your taste! Next time, feel free to ask any of our servers for recommendations. They'll be sure to suggest something you'll love. Looking forward to having you back!

Jeff, General Manger
“Amazing food, unbelievable view, & a perfect waiter!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Dinner here is the picture perfect way to enjoy a beautiful evening in Sausalito overlooking the bay. We loved it so much that we ate there twice! Our waiter, Gary, was extremely knowledgeable and accommodating. When you see him tell him that the Texas guy with the firm handshake sent you!!!

Jeff S, Manager at The Spinnaker, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks for the excellent review! Glad to hear you had such an exceptional meal with us. So good you had to come back? That's exactly the impression we want to make. We'll be sure to pass along your compliments to Gary! Hope you'll think of us again if you're ever back in San Francisco.