“One of my two most favorite fish and chips places on the planet”
Review of Fish Restaurant

Fish Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 79 Restaurants in Sausalito
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I really like expertly-made fish and chips. I travel almost continuously all over the world and in the least few decades have pretty much given up hope for truly good fish and chips. It's the sort of meal that those of us of a certain age take for granted, as a few decades ago you could pretty much count on good fish and chips just about everywhere with the same reliability of an acceptable hot dog.

Well, the discerning fish and chips buyer knows that assumption is long gone. Now, restaurants which create truly light and flaky fish and chips, not too oily, not too obviously pre-frozen, are few and far between. So, we go out of our way to find good fish and chips restaurants and to remember them.

My odyssey in search of "Fish" in Sausalito started when my son and I moved our sailboat from the San Francisco Bay area down to Mexico, largely to avoid sales taxes on the boat. Since we didn't want to kill ourselves during the delivery we stuck to day trips, hopping down the California coast every day only so far as we could cover in a day with plenty of time to anchor at the next port where we could sleep overnight. And, I should emphasize, go into town for dinner. Since every voyage should have a theme we decided that we would have fish and chips at each port to compare the best of California.

It turns out that the best of California in the fish and chips breed of restaurant is very good indeed, but by far the two best were "Fish" in Sausalito at the very beginning of our voyage and an unnamed, outdoor fish stand in Morro Bay about midway.

"Fish" is located at the edges of one of Sausalito's main marinas. I first visited it by dinghy when arriving in Sausalito by sailboat back in the day when I kept a sailboat on the bay. The restaurant features only fresh fish at absolutely stratospheric prices in what, other than the breathtaking prices, is a funky "whole foods" vibe full of "sustainable" fishing talk and other appropriately leftist nautical stylings. If you like Whole Foods you will love the vibe, perhaps even the "whole paycheck" part of it.

Seriously, though, I really like this place but then again I am more affluent then most. I find it difficult to recommend a dockside fish and chips place no matter how good it may be if the prices it charges are mainstream downtown San Francisco restaurant prices. I just don't think that the true vibe for even a very good dockside, casual fish place should include prices that would take the breath away even from a too-rich-too-care heiress.

Except for the Getty prices everything about "Fish" is casual and nice: a great view of the boats and active fuel dock, very casual atmosphere, bus your own dishes, way too long a wait to order and to get your meal, not enough places to sit, toilet around the corner of the next building and all that other genuine marine environment jazz. But, the food is superb, worth even the cheap annoyances such as portion-control oyster cracker packets with the chowder. The fish is really good. But, then again, be ready for those prices: You won't get away for under $25 a person or so and more if you order anything but an entree and an iced tea.

Note that there is practically no service since you serve yourself: line up to order and they will bring your entree to you but other than that it is all self-service. This is part of the ambiance and would be perfect and in-character but for the full service restaurant pricing.

There are newer reviews for Fish Restaurant

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stopped in here after sailing in the bay. I got the fish and chips, one in our party got the octupus. I thought it was just average over all, not worth the price. Not bad, just not worth it. The service was very friendly. The oysters were good though. It was uncomfortable hovering over occupied tables with the other waiting customers to grab vacated seats. It was in the 40s outside so everyone was trying to sit inside.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Long line, but it was worth the wait. Great beer options, huge menu, awesome fish and seafood options. The vietnamese sandwich with a huge piece of perfectly cooked Salmon was great. On a tasty roll with just enough spice, carrots and lettuce to make it interesting, this was a great dish. The crab roll was rich and delicious, tons of crab and overall goodness. On a nice day grab a seat outside by the boats and just relax. Cash Only

Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you take the ferry from San Francisco to Sausalito, Marin county for the day and you want to get a feeling of local life leave the strip and visit 'Fish' for lunch. It's a little pricey and a little noisy but the fish is well prepared and the place is clean. The best deal is the fish fingers. They are crispy and come with fries. Wash lunch down with some fresh lemonade and you are sure to leave full bellied and satisfied.
If you're on a bike you can work of your lunch by riding to downtown Mill Valley where you'll see some of our famous redwood trees . You will also see some amazing house boats on the waters edge and the beautiful Mt. Tamaulipas.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a fun, family, local restaurant right by the sea. When the weather is nice there is outdoor seating by the water. You stand in line to order food, then your order is brought to your table- so its casual dining. Excellent sustainable fish and other food choices. This is one of our favorite local digs!