“Best Japanese In The Bay Area”
Review of Sushi Ran

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Turney & Pine
Reviewed August 27, 2012

In addition to a very broad and imaginative selection of sushi, ths small restaurant has impeccable service and some fine other Japanese specialties. The black cod, for example, is about as good as it gets anywhere anytime.
This restaurant is better than any we have eaten at in SF

Reviewed August 22, 2012

we set on the porch, witch was comfortable and nice, the street is calm, and the buildings are nice. The suggestion that I had was very good, the fish were very fresh and tasty. my friends dishes was nice too, and very good presented. be sure to have reservation cause the place can turn full. ask for the porch!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Not thrilled with our experience - the food portions were SO skimpy - we left starving although we paid $22 for each lunch entree. The waiter was nice but the manager had a terrible attitude.

Not worthy of its reputation- I will not go back!

1  Thank Opinioned_traveler
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you're visiting San Fran, a short ferry ride to Sausalito will take you to what is apparently San Fran's best Japanese. Don't be fooled by the shop-front look - beneath this exterior is a true gem. Start your meal with a sake-tini, followed by exceptional fresh produce - the sashimi was brilliant as was a tuna type tartare dish. A good solid wine list too with a choice of Californian wines. We took the gold & blue ferry from Fisherman's Wharf which takes about an hour late afternoon, but it's only 15 minutes on the return if you get the last ferry out at 8:20pm. Ferry times vary depending on the season and whether it's a weekend.

Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went on recommendation of trip advisor and concierge at cavallo point. First of all, we were seated at the sushi bar where the sushi chefs were somehow not busy even though the restaurant was full. Uncomfortably close, four chefs with their arms folded over their chest watching us eat and not very conversational. One even corrected me on what umebashi is.

The food was ok but the waiter never checked in on us until the meal was well over. I was still very hungry and had wanted to order additional items from the kitchen not the sushi bar (since I didn't want fish the sushi chef said not to order from him as he thought I wouldn't be happy with the vegetarian rolls he made). So I ended up going back to cavallo point Farley bar and ordering truffle fries to stave my hunger.

Overall, the superior attitude of the sushi chef and non-attentive wait staff made for a bad experience. I will not go back or recommend.