“The Music and Dancing are Fun.”
Review of Sausalito Seahorse

Sausalito Seahorse
Reserve with OpenTable
Sausalito Seahorse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 82 Restaurants in Sausalito
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: If you're looking for some Italian faire on the Sausalito waterfront, look no further than Sausalito Seahorse on the edge of the old Marin ship docks for great food and entertainment any day of the week. We offer a great mix of regionally inspired Italian food and also host talented local and internationally recognized musicians. Some of our best dishes include the succulent Filet Mignon con porcini, Lasagna, Foccacia sandwiches, and other mouth-watering delights. Everything we have is gathered locally according to the season, and the taste holds true to the tradition of quality and originality. The Seahorse has a spacious dining area, a full bar, dance floor and a garden offering the perfect setting for small and large gatherings. Get your dance on Wednesday and learn how to Tango, or stop by on the weekend. We have a little bit of everything including Jazz, Blues, Funk, Reggae, and Salsa, meaning you're destined to find something you can swing to and dance the night away. Book your next party at the Seahorse and enjoy the fun and vibrant atmosphere, not to mention the food, in this unique Sausalito restaurant. Reservations can be made either over the phone or on our website. We can also privately cater to your chosen location. Whether you're in the need for a great bite to eat or a night on the town, Sausalito Seahorse is an obvious choice for a memorable experience with friends and family
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Not such a good place to eat. The calamari looked good. Have been there several times and always want to give it a chance. Not good for food. Music and meeting people= fun!

Toni R, Manager at Sausalito Seahorse, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2016

I'm surprise you are judging our food without try it!!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

The setting for this inside/outside cafe is not too bad. It is quite near to the boat harbour, and you almost can see some water, if you stand up. Right on the road, it is a bit busy with cars as there are other things down the street.

But it doesn't get any better than that.

The service seems to be ok, until you realize that their 'ok's' does not mean that the waiters and waitresses understand what you are saying. I ordered a vegetarian lasagna, called ' vegetariana lasagna'. I even asked it it was totally vegetarian. 'yes, yes'. I also got a salad.

The salad was delicious. The lasagna turn out to be a nondescript brown square. Very unappetizing to say the least. My lunch mate had ordered eggplant Parmesan bake. Another brown unappetizing dish. Many places in Sausalito have a wonderful eggplant dish, presented on the menu with the same words of description. But this was horrid.

THAT's NOT the WORST of it. I am allergic to many meats. The lasagna i ordered didn't look like 'season vegetables' as it was described on the menu. I went in and asked, not less than three waiters and waitresses that were standing there, if my lasagna was indeed vegearaina. 'Oh yes!', they all proclaimed. So i went back out after using the bathroom, and walla, my meal had been removed. Then one of the waiters came up to say it had not been the correct meal.

I had to wait another ten minutes for the real deal to show up.

But it was so tasteless and actually reminded me of vegetarian dishes that surfaced around the early 70's. Bland, and that weird flavor of processes cheese or something.

I tired a few bite, ate some of the overcooked vegetables, but could not put another bit in my mouth.

I told them to remove it and it was not edible and so forth.

YET it showed up on the bill i received.

I would take a bet they thought they were dealing with tourist. In other words = we would never be in town again anyway. But my parents have lived there nearly 40 years in Sausalito, and i was raised in Marin.

I will do everything i can to pass the word about this. It is unacceptable. Over the years i, or someone i have dined with has had a bad experience, not even as offensive as this was, and no been charged for the item.

I even said it was a serious mistake when they said another meal was coming, and that i was allergic to meat. Nope, no sorry, no nothing.

It also says, on their sign, that they are a 'musica cafe'. Don't count on anything played on the piano to be enjoyable.

2  Thank karen m
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Lunch on a Saturday, on the deck, nice location. Service was slow and mis-placed our order. Beers were reasonably priced. Bruschetta bread was stale and not toasted sufficiently. Porcini mushroom tapenade was acceptable. Shrimp was old and had a "unique" bouquet. Un-palatable. Ham and cheese served in a stale cracker-type bun was lacking taste. Polenta? a disaster. Possibly a bad day. Management needs to address their kitchen.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I like the great atmosphere, staff friendly and attentive, casual, no pressure at all, good place to meet, chat, relax..Or show up for their ongoing bands and dancing in the evenings?

2  Thank billgargan
Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you like salsa, you need to go to the Seahorse to dance... Me and my wife thought Sausalito wasn't going to have that great a dance scene. Nothing against, Sausalito... it's just not a place I associate with great Salsa..... simply put, one of the best salsa places we've been to. People from all ranges were dancing, all dance skills, from people who don't know their left foot from their right to people whom you are QUITE CLEAR that compete in national competitions. And no judgment, no BS, no one made to feel as if they didn't belong... quite the contrary, EVERYONE belonged. They took a song request and to boot, the food was great.

Prosciutto and honeydew as a starter and three pasta plates paid dividends, paired with great wines by the glass (cabs and chard all around).

It was cool, it was fun, it was perfect, it's a place you should go to on a Sunday to get your dance on and a breath of relief if my wife and I ever decide to move to the area.

A+ experience.