eDreams
SierraSlyFox
California

Great value!

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jul 25, 2016
Pleasant and helpful staff. Dorms, bedding and bathrooms are clean. Great Value in such a beautiful area. Recommend for solo travelers who do not mind sharing dorm with strangers. I have stayed here 3 times now with good results.
Date of stay: July 2016
Room Tip: Get there early in afternoon to choose your bunk
Trip type: Traveled solo
Go to your Happy Price
  • Agoda.com
2.8 miles from HI Marin Headlands Hostel
View more hotels in Sausalito
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 2, 2016

We rented the Annex for a weekend for our wedding guests. It was the perfect place for our family and friends to be able to spend time together for the weekend. There's plenty of space for everyone, at a reasonable price. It was great to have a kitchen and dining room, we were able to cook dinner and breakfast for the whole group.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Meghan E, Manager at HI Marin Headlands Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2016

We are so glad our Annex worked well for you and congratulations on your wedding! Thanks for sharing your experience and your kind words. It's so great to know we could be there for you on your big day! Congrats again! Happy travels!

Reviewed June 13, 2016

The location is the reason why you need to book this hostel, because this hostel is situated in the lovely Marin Headlands. This area is great for walking to and from local landmarks. Don't book here if you don't have a car, because public transport is pretty much non-existent. A bus runs to there every 1,5 hours, but only in the weekend. This is not your hostel if you want to explore San Francisco city!

I stayed here for one night after arriving from a long flight from Europe. There is free parking. I booked a multi-bed dorm, I think it fitted 22 people. The room itself, called Grand Canyon, was really spacious and airy. It totally didn't feel crowded. I had a great night sleep and woke up early morning due to my biological clock which had not adjusted yet.

In theory there's breakfast, but in practice it's only oatmeal and couple of containers of pancake mix. So keep this in mind if you see that there's "breakfast included". I think a basic breakfast they have at the Fort Mason HI-hostel is a lot better. Prices for rooms/beds are also similar. This was not the breakfast I expected at a HI-hostel.

I noticed only 1 bathroom for males (ground floor) and 1 for females (upper floor). did I miss anything? There is just not enough capacity! Plus: the showers are horrible. It's basically 4 shower heads divided by 3 curtains. If you want to get out from the 4th shower, you have to pass 3 other NAKED people. During my stay, the hostel was packed with young children. This is extremely uncomfortable and I have to express my concerns about this. It's not a soccer team that showers together after a match, right? There are minors and adults using these showers, all mixed together. If you want to hang your clothes on a hook, this again has to be done in a common area in front of the showers. NO privacy when getting dressed. I also did not find the bathrooms/toilets (which are in the bathrooms) very clean.

I only booked this hostel because the Fort Mason hostel was full and they had free parking. I sincerely hope something is gonna be done about the bathroom-issue.

Room tip: Great views!
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Jeroen O
Meghan E, Manager at HI Marin Headlands Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2016

Thank you for your review! We're glad to see you liked the location after all, even though we are only 5 miles from San Francisco, once in the park it can feel a world away! Our breakfast would definitely be better with some more options I agree. Up until recently, we weren't allowed to serve any kind of breakfast and this was what was acceptable with our contract as we lease these buildings from the National Park Service, but your input can help us to make things better someday hopefully. Because our building is historic and we do not own it, there isn't anything we can do about our bathrooms at this time. We are not allowed to renovate the bathrooms, unfortunately. It's our Achilles heel and I understand how awkward it must be to use those showers in the situation you were describing. While we can't change the bathroom, we can work on trying to make it more comfortable and less awkward and maybe find a better way to use the showers in the way they are now. I apologize that our bathrooms weren't up to your standards. I'll make sure our staff spends more time cleaning them thoroughly. Thanks for giving us a shot and hopefully you saw some beautiful sights in the headlands!

Reviewed April 8, 2016

This is a great hostel for people wanting to explore San Francisco in all its glory, yet sleep away from the bustle and noise of the city. The location itself is an attraction in itself, with beautiful views of the Golden Gate and the city within hiking distance.

The hostel itself is an attraction. The house is old and beautiful, and the staff was incredibly helpful. I brought a group of high school boys, and we had a great time. Board games, pool table, table tennis, foosball... Just an all-around fantastic location.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Meghan E, General Manager at HI Marin Headlands Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are always happy to hear you had a nice time here and really appreciate the time you took to write such nice things about us! Happy travels!

Reviewed March 29, 2016

Lovely to be in this relatively isolated space, to meet other travelers, to jog or walk down to the Pacific or along other inland trails. Excellent cleanliness. Basic pancake makings available for poor starving students ;-) Away from the big city rush!

Date of stay: June 2015
1  Thank Jackemeyer
Reviewed March 25, 2016 via mobile

The tone of this great little hostel was set by the super helpful guy (AJ.. Hope that is right) at the front desk. He helped us with so much great information around the area and for heading up the coast and had a great enthusiasm for traveling. We stayed in a small dorm but it was just us, so pretty lucky. It was clean and comfy, good cooking facilities, good little breakie included in the morning, and a fantastic location. Would definitely recommend.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank joleema