“Terrible service.”

Harbor View Restaurant
Bonsall, California
“Terrible service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stopped in here for lunch when it wasn't at all busy. Even so, we didn't get out of there for two hours because the service was so slow. The young women next to us were totally ignored by the waiter to the point that they found it amusing. At least they were good sports about it. Eventually, a different waiter saw them sitting there and served them, but in a very off-handed way. I guess they don't like serving women or something...it was very odd. As for us, the service was poor, but nobody specifically ignored us, which is a plus at this place, I think. Our meal was served by the chef because our waiter was busy yucking it up at the bar with the rest of the staff.

Our food was good, fettucini Alfredo and a sandwich, with huge portions and reasonable prices. The dining room is on the second floor of a building across a parking lot from the marina, so the view is pleasant. The atmosphere is mostly kitschy nautical artifacts, but it is OK for where it is. You'd never guess this is an Italian restaurant by looking at it. The room is large enough that even if it is crowded you shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

I wouldn't go here for a romantic special occasion, but for a group of friends or family it would be fine. There is an outdoor patio that wasn't being used when we were there. Just be sure you aren't in any sort of rush, because the staff sure isn't.

• Visited May 2011

“I really want to like it...but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

I have tried eating here several time. And I really really want to like it. But the service staff is just horrible.

The atmosphere is great and romantic. The menu is sort of limited but what they do serve is very well prepared. And the owner/chef comes out to check on how you like it.

But as I said before, the service is the worse I have ever seen. One time we waited 15 minutes before somebody even greeted us. Another time, we waited 20 minutes just to get our drinks. Both times, it wasn't crowded in any way. Moreover, every time (3) we have been there, the waiters are just more interested in talking to each other than helping guests.

The cocktails are horrible. And when we complained to our server.... nothing was done. No offer to remake the drinks, no offer to remove them from the bill (we barely drank anything from them).... not even I am sorry. Plus getting a refill on any type of drink (including water) is next to impossible.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank DomoMe
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Great Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Beautiful views from all tables. Highly glossed wood interior. Friendly, efficient servers. Thumbs up for fettucini alfredo, and simply but deliciously prepared fresh fish specials. Chef/owner? came to table to make sure we were happy and satisfied. We were!

• Visited June 2011
Sausalito, CA
“Magical Chef and a Beautiful View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

I knew of the chef (owner?) from an amazing little hole in the wall in San Rafael way off the beaten path. The food is Italian, but the fellow is a pretty magical guy, so I would call it Multidimensional Italian, as it seems prepared from a kitchen in a higher plane. When I heard he was taking over the Cat and Fiddle I was so happy to check it out.

The owner(s) were spot on with the furnishings. It is subtly more elegant than the last restaurant there which really enhances a great view of the harbor and Mt. Tam. The (genuine) Italian waiter seemed a little surly at first, but I am not the easiest diner as I have a pretty slim range of foods that I eat. All I was eating was salad but the owner treated me as though I had ordered caviar with truffles and brought out various cheeses for my tasting to pick to go in the salad. There he was, being magical! My husband had fettucini alfredo that he delivered to his plate from the pan, and it was incredible. The waiter also proved to be a real sweetheart by giving me a good deal on my meal.

This one will develop a following, I'll bet. The owner is so full of joy and lightness of being. He declared "it is slow, so I am bored and excited at the same time". And as though the Gods heard him, the place did pick up from there. He captures so well what it is we go to Europe for. It's that generous honesty and easiness about their lives and business.

The prices were very reasonable, not the waterfront gouge by any means. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for an occasion or when you just want to treat yourself right. It is beautiful with a great view, has great food that is unique and a bit of warm theater from a beautiful soul.

• Visited April 2011