“Great View”

GreenLeadersGold level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Great View”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We checked in to this Inn on my birthday after some busy days in the Sonoma/Napa area for my daughter's first 1/2 marathon. Our room was ready but the adjoining room for my adult daughter's was not. There was a problem with the carpet which had been cleaned and was not dry. They more than accommodated us by giving our daughter's other rooms, yes, rooms, with a lovely view and balcony. We had a wonderful stay. I enjoyed the super comfortable bedding and all the soaking whirlpool tub. Our view was out of a large window which we enjoyed sharing a glass of wine while sitting at the large round table and soaking in the view as well as the same view from our bed of San Fran, Alcatraz and Angel Island. Breath taking. A short walk to all the shops and restaurants in the area. Great breakfast. Wine and cheese in the evening. Loved it. Would stay again when I am ever lucky enough to be in the area. Short walk to the ferry boat. Michael made a reservation for my birthday dinner at a nearby restaurant when we checked in. Great experience there. Loved our room in the front building...nice and breezy with the windows open. A bit warmer for our daughter's in the back building. No complaints. Wish we could have stayed another day.

Room Tip: Depends on what you like. A balcony, a view, steps, no steps, etc. Have many choices.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed in the Buckeye room - very spacious and well-appointed. The breakfasts and wine/cheese tastings were amazing. They went well above and beyond to accommodate the gluten-free members of our family as well as the kids (apple cider - yum!). Especially helpful in trying to figure out bridge tolling system. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Claremont, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed one night at the Gables Inn in June 2013. The room was on the ground floor with its only view (through a very dirty window) consisted of dead plants and a ruined fence. The room was nice and clean, however, but certainly overpriced; the continental breakfast excellent. The unsmiling young lady who greeted us told us that we better reserve a table for dinner. Her recommendation, together with a map where she rapidly drew instructions, was for a restaurant along the shore, The Seafood Peddler. The restaurant was was not among those listed in the city map or recommended in the list given in the hotel's website. The food was simply dreadful, a salty lobster bisque that probably came from a can, and crab that cost us a fortune. It was obvious to me that there was a special arrangement between the restaurant and the young lady. I wonder if the hotel owners knew about this.

Room Tip: Do not choose a ground floor, but it will cost a lot more
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank claremonttraveler
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here two nights, in Room 203 (Cypress Room) on the first floor, right next to the "living room/lobby" area. That was really nice because we could just walk outside of our door to eat breakfast, etc. They have the S. F. newspaper - a copy for each guest - available here in the morning. They use a flower service, and the fresh flower arrangements in the public areas are really beautiful.

We didn't think our room was noisy from being next to the parlor area. Our room was even nicer than the photo on their website - much larger than I thought it would be. The ceilings here are really high, and there are beautiful pictures on the walls. Our room had lots of windows and a little porch area outside the glass doors.

The staff is very accommodating. The second night, it was a little chilly out, so we really enjoyed the ambiance of a real wood burning fire in the fireplace in the parlor area. The next morning, I asked the man at the front desk if we could have a fire again. After asking the other guests if that was OK with them, he made one. Also, I was having trouble getting internet access with my MacBook Pro, and he went out of his way to help me out. However, internet access with really slow. I didn't have that problem at the next place we stayed, but it was a hotel, not an inn. I thin I was the only one that had trouble accessing the internet, but he said other Macbook users have had trouble in the past. Upon checkout, he was nice enough to print me mapquest directions to our hotel in Sonoma. So all in all, really excellent service here.

I was very happy staying here, but my husband did not like the shower, which is connected to the claw-foot tub. He just washed up in the sink the first day. The second day, he used the shower in the tub, but said it was slippery since it is a curved tub, and not enough water pressure in the shower. I made the mistake of not checking the shower situation out when booking this room. Since he has arthritis in his knees, we can only stay in rooms where he doesn't have to walk up a flight of stairs.

This inn is very centrally located - just a very short walk down a steep hill. It was a problem for my husband getting back up this hill after dinner, again, because of the arthritis in his knees.

We liked that they served hard-boiled eggs with their continental breakfast. The pastries were really dry and hard to chew. But that is good, so that we aren't tempted to over indulge.

They do not have air conditioning here - at least in the building we were in. I don't know about the other building. Since the temperature was high the day we arrived, there was a really quiet fan in our room. There are no screens on the windows, but they all open. However, our room was still too warm. They should put a ceiling fan in this room. I doubt that the lack of air conditioning is an issue here - the temperature in Sausalito must never be overly warm.

I loved staying here, but wish we had a room with a regular shower for my husband.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotravelSanDiego
Kihei
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We spent five nights at th Gables Inn and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We chose the Buckeye Room right behind the front desk, as we were traveling with four large suitcases and didn't want to be dragging them up and down stairs. The room was spacious and elegant, though right h the street. Even though it was close to the common area we were not bothered by noise. Staff was extremely kind and helpful. My one complaint was the parking. Not enough spots and hard to maneuver, though they did offer alternate parking close by. Though pricy I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee C
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Quaint and quiet is the best way to describe Gables Inn. A wonderful, delicious continental breakfast starts each day, and a superb assortent of cheeses and wine closes out the day. The location was perfect, just far enough up Princess Street to escape the throngs of tourists, but close enough to walk to everything. The Aveda skin and hair products that are provided in the bathroom, and replenished each day by housekeeping, are a nice perk and the hot (and I mean HOT!) water from the rainwater shower head is great. To add to the Bay Area mystique, a fog horn can be heard moaning its haunting warning in the distance, not enough to be irriatating, but just enough to be seductive. The only words of warning I have is because it's a B&B, be prepared to hike a bit with suitcase in tow down some stairs and up some more, depending where your room is located. Also, for you TA male readers, be warned. A motion sensor light switch in the bathroom works so well that during a midnight pitstop the light turned off while I was in midstream, forcing me to multitask between finishing the task at hand (no pun intended) and doing a Michael Jackson break dance to create motion to get the light back on:-).
The Gables Inn comes highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had room 205. Bed sheets and linens were exceptional, and the framed photosmof "old" Sa...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Milestogetthere
Yankalilla, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at gables inn for four nights. Although we didn't opt for a room with a view the Inn is an excellent B&B. super breakfast, complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon what more could you want. Great location, thankfully not too far up Princess St. Very comfortable bed and large bathroom. Very clean. Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley

Been to The Gables Inn Sausalito? Share your experiences!