“Thanksgiving Buffet: Incredibly disappointing”
Review of Murray Circle

Murray Circle
Reserve with OpenTable
Murray Circle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 78 Restaurants in Sausalito
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Cavallo Point's acclaimed restaurant, Murray Circle, under the direction of Executive Chef Justin Everett, is one of the Bay Area's top culinary destinations. Highlighting refined modern Northern California cuisine anchored to its Marin roots, the freshest local ingredients and stunning Golden Gate Bridge views, a meal here is inspired. Settle into the elegant yet comfortable dining room accented with beautifully restored tin ceilings, fine art photography and toasty fireplaces. Outside, soak up the sun on plush outdoor seating on the historic porch, with sweeping views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge.
California
“Thanksgiving Buffet: Incredibly disappointing”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

When there was no effort expended on the restaurant’s part to provide a decent meal, it leaves me no choice but to rate it low as we recently experienced at the Murray Circle Restaurant.
When we saw the picturesque location of this property at Fort Baker, we were excited to learn of the Thanksgiving Buffet. The menu items sounded enticing, and the Executive Chef’s credentials, working at such notable restaurants as Bouchon and Auberge du Soleil, we were convinced that this was going to be a memorable dining experience. So we reserved a table for our family of eight for the Thanksgiving Buffet.
Arriving at the restaurant, we were welcomed and shown to our table in the Callippe Dining Room (Building 623). The first thing we all noticed was the chairs and its poor construction. They wobbled dangerously as we took our seats. We exchanged a laugh and a joke with other patrons, who also noticed a similar issue with their chairs, that when the chairs broke apart beneath us, it was time for us to stop eating. But little did we realize then that over eating was not going to be an issue here.
The buffet was set up at three stations: Cold/Hot/Dessert. The cold station offered, Beet Salad, Radicchio Salad, Bean Salad, Small Oysters on Half Shell, and Medium Size Prawns. We took a small sample from each salads, and oysters and prawns. All three salads were quite bland with not one flavor that stood out from any of them. The oysters and prawns at least tasted fresh and was palatable.
The hot station offered, Turkey, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Stuffing, Vegetables (Brussels Sprouts/Carrots), Two Pasta Dishes, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Lamb. The disappointment here was that all these dishes were utterly bland while the vegetables were overcooked to limpness and discoloration. These dishes tasted and looked like those you might find at a dinner buffet at the Assisted Senior Housing Facility or at the casino buffet tables.
The dessert station was also a let down with more unappetizing tidbits. Priced at $90 per person, this was probably the saddest and most unsatisfying meal I’ve ever had anywhere. There was no effort here and that’s what I find most unacceptable. I have had the pleasure of dining at Bouchon’s and Auberge du Soleil, and I cannot fathom any chef who had worked at these remarkable restaurants could have had a hand in overseeing such unappetizing and poorly prepared array of dishes.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Annabelle3

Orinda, California
“Delicious, good service, great location”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had dinner here as a large group with a limited menu. There were plenty of options for everyone, and everyone seemed to enjoy their meals. I thought the food was very well done, delicious. They were amenable to customizing the dishes, and accommodated the two gluten allergic people in the group. The food is local and fresh, and the wine choices are abundant. The cocktails are also very good. The service was excellent.
Breakfast on the patio was good, nothing to write home about, but also local and fresh. I thought the breakfast was expensive - everything here is expensive - but the breakfast seemed over the top.
I guess sitting on the porch, staring at the Golden Gate Bridge on a beautiful day is worth the price of a few extra dollars for breakfast. However the breakfast service was slow and spotty.

• Visited November 2013
Santa Barbara, California
“Great Location and OK food”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

An exceptional experience just driving over the Golden Gate Bridge and the drive to Sausalito and to Cavallo Point. Beautiful views of the bay from the patio where we enjoyed lunch. Lunch on the decks may have been a better location. We enjoyed watching the fog just sort of role in from the bay. Service was on the slow side and the meal was just ok. My hamburger was well done even though ordered rare. The chips with onion dip which appeared to come with every menu item was a nice touch. I imagined that the two older buildings housing the restaurant and gift shop (which was very unique) also had rooms but found that they did not. Looks like the actual rooms were in several older buildings that may originally have been officer's quarters and newer buildings along the perimeter which reminded me of motel buildings. Doubt that I would enjoy staying in them. It definitely is a unique location and experience and worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013
SF Bay Area
“Tops!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Though this place is part of the Cavallo Point complex, it deserves a separate review because many of its patrons come just for the dining without staying overnight. It is superb! Service is welcoming, and very professional. Spent over two hours at dinner, and never once did we feel rushed or strained. Choices were varied, healthy, and very tasty. As others have commented, the drinks were a bit pricey, but good. Portions were such that we left feeling pleasantly satisfied but not stuffed. We intend to return!
PS: I walk with a cane, and sitting over two hours leaves me very stiff. The server sensed my discomfort, and quietly put her arm around my waist and walked me to the entrance! Lovely!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank babubenj
Tallahassee, FL
“Fabulous view but only so-so food.”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

You can't beat the view at this restaurant, especially if you sit outside on the porch, but the food was only average in my opinion, especially when it has to stack up against all the amazing selections in the Bay Area. We chose the 'sampler' plate which gave you a chance to try out 4 different dishes on the menu and none of them stood out as each was very bland. I do like my food filled with herbs and spices so it may be a prejudice of mine but I would not recommend it except for the view.

• Visited September 2013