“The guest from hell...”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cerritos, California
“The guest from hell...”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Before I stepped foot on the property, my plans changed and it was necessary for me to change my reservations. From the phone conversations to the bellmen I had to work with, I have not one complaint. The staff was amazingly accommodating to my needs. In fact, one of the bellman made the suggestion that I take a look at multiple rooms to find the exact room I was looking for...The desk staff was accomodating and worked within my budget. Considering my apparent 'fickle' nature as to what I was looking for...not one person got rude or curt, but instead, each person took time to listen to my needs and did their best to accomodate me. Yes, I did finally find the perfect room! I am only writing this review because I did read a few negative reviews on Tripadvisor and was very hesitant to come to this property. I am sorry I read the reviews. I have found my experience, thus far, to be quite the opposite of everything that I read. I would only hope that others who decide to experience the wonder of this historically significant establishment, will have even half the experience that I have had so far.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 9, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cavello Point to celebrate his birthday and we were not disappointed.

Location - The proximity to SF and the Golden Gate Bridge was very desirable and it was an easy drive into downtown (and charming) Sausalito. I found the grounds, the bar, the restaurant and the rooms to be beautiful. We stayed in the newer, more modern rooms which were clean with an upscale decor. Our initial room overlooked the back of a building and its roof top - one call to the front desk to inquire about availability of better views and we were promptly moved to a "bridge view" room.

Service - Although we did have to call and request cleaning of our room late the next day, it was tended to promptly. In addition, every single service person - from check in to room relocation to the restaurant staff were incredibly attentive to the fact that we were celebrating a birthday. The restaurant, in particular, provided exceptional service - every time I got up from my seat I was asked how they could assist me. There was one snafu upon going to the bar after dinner on Saturday evening when we had trouble getting served but once we commented on the fact, we were appropriately cared for. We were also constantly offered rides from various personnel as we walked the property (the weather was cold and blustery) - all in all, the staff were very friendly.

Value - My boyfriend booked on Jetsetter and received an excellent rate for the quality of the rooms. The food at both the bar and the restaurant was delicious (the fried chicken at the bar was to die for) - - yes, the portions are small but the quality and presentation were spectacular. The food/beverage is a bit overpriced but, frankly, I expect that when in the SF area and, particularly, when staying at a lodge/resort.

I would recommend to anyone and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, Ca
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Amazing location.....the best view of San Francisco you can get but in a relaxed environment. I love the city views but not the city noise and traffic. At Cavallo Point you can literally walk to SF (.8 miles to the Golden Gate Bridge walkway and then a 1.5 mile walk along the bridge brings you to Crissy Field) yet you are surrounded by trees, wild flowers, and deer.

We stayed in the new section and had a view of the bridge. Our room was spacious, and had robes, slippers, extra blankets, luxurious linens, toiletries (even ear plugs in case you don't like listening to the fog horns). Everything was perfect! We had an opportunity to tour one of the fully restored historical buildings. The room we saw seemed like a small apartment but had lots of charm.

The prices were on the high side at the spa but as a guest, you can use the facilities there for no additional fee. I appreciated not having to pay for the extras that you get charged for at many resorts (parking, daily facilities fee...). The dipping pool was small but the warm water, lounge chairs, and soft music was perfect!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Someone "pinch me." The property looks like summer camp on the outside, and the Four Seasons on the inside. A summer camp tucked away at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge in a National Park, adjacent to acres of oceanfront nature preserve, the Marin Headlands. Yes, this place is hidden, and I would like to keep it in an affordable hidden gem. However, the success of this hotel supports the National Parks, which compels me to share my honest review.

*layered perfection - positive historical change, eco-friendly practices, powerful & artistic Golden Gate bridge views, dog friendly attitudes, rich organic food offerings, a zen gift shop and art gallery, a gorgeous spa, a sleek cooking school, and a Children's Discovery Museum on the adjacent property.

*unforgettable sensory experience: the smell of lavender, the sounding daytime rhythm of the bridge fog horn, the fluctuating artistic light and fog on the bridge, the luxurious amenities and professional lighting in the room, the invigorating temperature changes with hike to and away from the crisp bay breeze. I had to keep checking the bridge to see how it had changed, every few minutes, as the fog billows by it. Seemingly, the fog has not encroached into the alcove of Cavallo Point, but mysteriously dances by along the bay. This clarity has allowed picturesque viewing in sunlight from 5:30am to 9pm, and the moonlight during my stay.

The property owners spent 4 years restoring this 110 year old military site in partnership with the National Parks. I feel incredibly fortunate to be a guest at such a unique site that took such forward thinking and innovative cooperation. I hope the partnership lease lasts forever, rather than the current 58 remaining years.

Some have commented on the parking situation, but I feel this is a huge plus. My valet parking was free, since I stayed for an extended period, and the lobby is close to the room. The lack of cars added to the safety and serenity of my stay, and the cars did not disturb the deer that I saw on a daily basis.

To think that a warzone has evolved into an inspirational eco-resort does give me great hope for mankind. I will be back, as this beautiful place that sits at the top of my list for location, luxury and a lifetime memory!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed June 24, 2010

I travel for a living, and its' rare that I have'nt abandoned my room long before the official check out time. Cavallo Point had me lingering longeer than I can recall in any other property. the placed is tucked away, under the 'Salsalito sid" of the Golden Gate Bridge, and the views from the lush front lawn were hard to give up. Never mind, I loved the old fittings, from door-knobs to iron-toed tubs the place speaks to guests who like myself, sat on front porch rockers, hoisted drinks from the front porch verrandahs, and enjoyed a fully-different view of San Francisco. I was offered the choice of an older, original room, which I chose over the 'contemporary' newer rooms and was pleased that I did. The food was exceptional, with many locals as repeat, walking advertisiments for the food and wine lists. I'll be back to stay - when I'm doing full on business in town, its the Handlery Hotel of Union Square, but when I can get the time and space, I'll be found at Cavallo Point. Mark Sheehan Author of "America Over Easy!"

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank AmericaOverEasy
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Location: Breathtaking property with historical heritage. Views of the Golden Gate Bridge and within walking distance to the bridge.

Room: We stayed in a historic queen suite and the room was great. Beautiful building, two room suite with great shower and gas burning fireplace.

Service: Everyone was friendly, but nobody went above or beyond. You are paying for location and not service at Cavallo Point. The shuttle to Sausilito was nice, but rarely on time.

Spa: Relaxing and peaceful, the steam room was great.

I have to give extra kudos because they are dog friendly!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelusaluv13
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Our stay at the Cavallo Pont was simply incredible. Their advertisement as “A View With Rooms”, while definitely true, actually understated the experience. What set this encounter apart was the obvious comprehensive commitment by staff for the guest to have a happy stay and experience. More on that later. The hotel is set at the old Fort Baker shore battery site located near the base of the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Late 1800’s era Field and General Officers quarters surrounding the main drill field were converted into guest houses and sustainable source “green quarters” appointed with bamboo furniture and trim are on the hillside above this already idyllic setting . In addition to stunning views of the bridge itself, the National Forest setting includes panoramic views of the surrounding hills with whisps of cloud and fog blowing over them from the Pacific Ocean, incredible views of the city across the bay from nature trails above the inn, understandably commanding views of Angel and Alcatraz Islandsthe bridge and city from the location of the old shore batteries, the bridge hills and city from many of the rooms, as well as incredible views of the bridge passing ships and sail boats as well as of the city from the rockers on the front porch of the lobby and restaurant buildings just above the parade ground with their adjacent fire pit equipped patio. We spent considerable time wandering the grounds and taking in the views. While enjoying the patio and toasty fire pit, staff brought snug blankets to wrap up to with just take it all in, along with plentiful libations from the indoors bar. The blankets felt like they should be half an inch thick or something - very cozy. The room itself (ours was on the hillside near the old post chapel) was huge and well appointed with flat screen TV, windows that opened to capture the breeze, and a very nice gas fireplace. More than plenty of room. The space had ample storage and desk space along with complimentary wireless internet access. The bath facilities were top notch. Tile work, fixtures, trim and paint - attention to detail was evident. My children insisted on buying extra shampoo and lotion at the girft shop when we checked out. Staff was available to take you around the grounds in golf carts or to shuttle you the short distance into Sausalito for dinners and so forth. Requests were cheerfully accommodated and helpful suggestions offered. There was an on location spa with complete facilities and offerings such as sauna and so forth. Every step of the way, staff was helpful, friendly and available without being intrusive. I really cannot say enough about this experience and how special the staff really was. There are plenty of views with really bad experiences tacked onto them, as well as places where the establishment just has to try harder to overcome a less than ideal setting. This is one of those gems that are few and far between where you get the best of both worlds. They don't have to try harder to overcome an incredible setting but the act like they do. To the staff, "Well Done." Wow. Location is about ten minutes across the Golden Gate to the Presidio and Fisherman’s Wharf and about eleven miles from the Muir Woods. My family was suitably impressed with me for finding this gem, I have to say. The value proposition is subjective - you always pay for what you get. This is one of those rare occasions where you actually get what you pay for. I do not hand out wows in cracker jack boxes. This place is a double wow. Don't miss it if you get the opportunity. Excellent.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank SLTX83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
The Lodge at Tiburon
Omni San Francisco Hotel
#3 of 228 in San Francisco
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!