“Extraordinary property on the bay”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Take a historic property, a magnificent setting and tasteful, comfortable accommodations and you’ve got a winning combination. Thankfully, the developer did not mess up: we stayed in one of the historic suites and found the restoration/historic preservation sensitive while providing completely modern comforts. This in itself is lauded.

Our weekend: An evening in Farley bar enjoying a light dinner (note to self: stick to one martini) and waking up to a gorgeous view of the bay; Indulging in devine freshly baked pastry and coffee at Murray circle before heading off into Marin for the day. Evening two: cocktails and cheese plate (got to love Cowgirl creamery!) on the porch of Murray Circle (blankets included), followed later with dinner (could do without all the long explanations of menu items– felt like a Top Chef presentation); Loving the silence of the night and waking up to another morning of sun showering the bay and Ft. Baker coming alive with cyclists on training rides; Third evening: enjoying a bottle of wine on the porch of our building, taking a walk down to the bay to take in the sun setting on the city and the towers of GG bridge catching the last bit the day’s light. Morning of departure: an energetic walk into Sausalito for breakfast (rental bikes available, but you’ve got to like climbing the hill) Did I mention I had every intention of waking up for the Yoga classes in the chapel? Somehow, it didn’t happen, but knowing I could have, was attractive.

Next time we will plan our stay to take advantage of some of the activities offered --kayaking under GG bridge would have been nice—but we had full days planned in Marin. Yes, there will be a next time, because this is a lovely resort. We did not have noise from neighbors to contend with and I think being upstairs in the historic suites is probably a good thing, but honestly, I’d stay in any room here again, because the setting stole my heart, which I left in… you know how it goes.

2  Thank Carolwt
There are newer reviews for Cavallo Point

Reviewed June 15, 2009

Just this past weekend, I stayed here along with my son and daughter-in-law. Beautiful location, stunning view, delightful staff, lovely rooms, very good food and drink and the "funnest" cooking school ever. I regret not getting to the spa but I will the next time.

Minor regret is the family above us sent their darlings down to play on the porch outside our window early Sunday morning so that they could have alone time. For that reason, recommend requesting upstairs room. Recommend that family be more considerate of others :)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Serenity on earth. Cavallo Point Lodge is within view of SF, but is still peaceful and delightful. My husband and I enjoyed an overnight here in conjunction with using our Sausalito seaplane ride gift (which was also spectacular). The renovatd historic rooms are well done, but do have trouble managing temperature. We put the fireplace on, and then couldn't get the room to cool off, in spite of windows (without screens, 2nd floor) wide open, and blinds down. We could see SF from our room. The room has all premium materials. The filtered water pitcher in the fridge is a nice touch. The Peerless Coffee in the room is delicious. We regret our stay was so short. Next time we want to hike.

Reviewed June 8, 2009

We splurged for an anniversary weekend getaway at Cavallo Point. The whole experience was just enormously civilized without being stuffy. We enjoyed a leisurely drink and yummy snacks at the bar, a soothing spa experience, and just drank in the views of the City and the Golden Gate Bridge.

We would go back in a heartbeat. Hopefully we would get to stay longer. We were a little bummed to have to leave!

Reviewed May 25, 2009

We had a very quiet and relaxing getaway weekend at Cavallo Point. The ever-present view of the Golden Gate is hard to beat.

The rooms were spacious, clean and well thought-out, and they did a nice job of making modern and confortable spaces in older buildings.

Dinner was fantastic, with a creative presentation, and good use of local ingredients. Staff generally knowledgeable and very friendly.

Great hiking right out the door to the Marin headlands.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank metolius
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Cavallo Point is a gorgeous hotel with a first class spa. They offered superb service in a spectacular setting. The ambience, decor, food, and the rooms were all first class. Sitting on the porch of the hotel restaurant watching the sun set with a great glass of wine was so relaxing and you feel miles away from the stresses of the "real" world. I had the best massage I have ever had; something called "The Wave". The Spa was clean, modern, with a genuine zen, with respectful service personnel willing to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The hiking on the hotel grounds offer spectacular views in every direction. While the setting is very romantic, I travelled with a girlfriend and found it to be the perfect vacation with a lively bar, should you want some night life, or the peace and quiet of the natural environment. In addition, they have a terrific photography collection not only in the gallery but all the rooms which were well appointed and luxurious. Cavallo was of the best resorts I have ever been to.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank LAGIRLFROMNY
Reviewed May 21, 2009

First and foremost, my room at Cavallo Point had a spectacular view of the Golden Gate Bridge & the San Francisco Bay. On top of that, I thoroughly enjoyed the giant soaking tub and fireplace and appreciated their respect for energy conservation by installing radiant-heated floors. I finished off my stay with a great dinner at Murray Circle...the quail was awesome! At times it seemed that the staff hadn't quite hit their stride, but it is a new hotel and that sort of thing improves with time. Overall, I had a great stay and would definitely recommend Cavallo Point to people who want to have access to all of the amenities of San Francisco in a rustic, upscale setting.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alby831
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
The Lodge at Tiburon
Pacific Heights
Hotel Drisco
Hotel Drisco
#1 of 229 in San Francisco

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!