“A Psalm of Nature for the Eyes, Ears, and Soul”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Only when we left this idyllic resort to spend three days in San Francisco, did we realize how tranquil Point Cavallo is.. Waking up to a view of the Golden Gate Bridge or looking across the bay to one of the greatest cities in the world while surrounded by
nature at her best, is something everyone should be so fortunate to experience. From arrival to departure, this place was perfect. We hiked to Crissy Fields for lunch at the Warming Hut three days in a row..Be sure to hike the Coastal trail for views you will only see in northern California.. The staff was welcoming without being intrusive.. Did I mention the VIEWS!!!!! Thank you to all at Cavallo Point Lodge for replenishing our souls and filling us with memories to last a lifetime..We have already begun planning our next trip.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seagrovetraveler
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful compliments!

I'm very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and will be certain to share your comments with our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cavallo Point in the near future!

Euan Taylor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Cavallo Point is many things - expensive, beautiful, well-kept, modern and rustic and in a great location. BUT the hotel and restaraunt was very expensive ... and they are not really providing a Ritz Carlton experience. I don't think we would stay again.

Room Tip: I personally thought the historic rooms were more comfortable than the modern rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda W

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear that your experience at the resort did not meet with your expectations.

If I may suggest checking the "Current Offers" section on our website, as we do offer special rates and packages throughout the year.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

If there are any other questions or concerns I can address, please do not hesitate to contact me at euan@cavallopoint.com.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Flew down to SF to relax, attend a friend's B-Day in the city and was recommended Cavallo Point by a friend. Everything was fabulous, and when you go, stay up top and eat (& drink) on the front porch/deck under the heaters with the stellar view. World class!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Mark M

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post!

We hope to welcome you back for another visit to Cavallo Point very soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I came on a business trip for a conference, but I had some time to look around and enjoy myself.

The room I stayed in was one of the newer rooms on the hill almost directly behind the registration office, and it was gorgeous. Great view, fireplace, great little "just in case" items, such as ear plugs, vaulted ceilings... absolutely beautiful. One of the prettiest rooms I can remember.

The grounds also were beautiful -- well manicured and maintained -- and the view of the bridge from the grounds and especially as you walk around the property or just off it are spectacular. I'll include some pics I took from either the property or within five minutes from it.

I didn't eat much there, but the food was good. I had one meal at the restaurant/bar area, and it was very good, so I'm sure that was consistent for the rest.

The staff were delightful, always offering a lift in their golf carts or just checking to make sure everything was going well with my stay.

One note: There is a "hike" around the back of the property that allegedly takes 30-45 minutes. It's not much of a hike. If you're looking for a real challenge, they have other options that involve more strenuous activity, such as the trail up to and across the bridge (which isn't THAT strenuous, but does involve a fairly steep incline and some stamina).

I will say I didn't pay for my trip, so I have no idea about its value on the dollar, but it was a wonderful experience and I'd love to stay here with my girlfriend in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LexLea
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post. Your kind compliments are very much appreciated.

We hope to welcome you and your girlfriend to Cavallo Point in the near future!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Cavallo Point is absolutely beautiful. As a San Franciscan, I came here for a quick weekend for a ladies weekend to just relax, enjoy the spa and the views. The property is breathtaking and quite similar to San Francisco's Presidio Park. The lodges where visitors stay are old colonial-like buildings, about 4 "rooms" per lodge. Our room felt more like a 2 bedroom apartment with a large bathroom but minus a kitchen. Closet space was amazing for those staying a while and wanting to feel at home. The living room had a small fridge. Cavallo Point is nothing like a hotel, but more like a very upscale adult summer camp property with sprawling lawns, hikes abound, views of the water and a gorgeous, serene spa. There are free pastries and coffee in the mornings by the main lobby and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Tip: if anyone in your party has an injury or is elderly, request a first floor room as the top floors are only accessed by a very long, narrow and steep set of stairs.

Room Tip: Bottom floor if you're injured or elderly. Steps are very narrow and steep to the top floor room...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissWordsmith

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

We hope to welcome you and your guests back to Cavallo Point for another getaway very soon!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed for only one night but would have liked to stayed much longer.
The hotel is nicely located about half an four from the City and has great views of the bay, bridge and city. The complex is a combination of both restored historical buildings and modern apartments which actually works quite well.
I stayed in a junior suite (1904) which was very spacious and extremely stylish.
The food was excellent as was the service. My stay was too short to try the spa or gym but I will certainly try to visit again.

Room Tip: Suite 1904 has great views and is a good size
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank m s
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

We hope to welcome back next time for a longer stay.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just spent an incredible night at Cavallo Point. The staff was delightful, rooms large and extremely comfortable,the spa was beautiful and the food and service at Murray Circle was excellent. We can't wait to return to this unique wonderful resort with beautiful views of the GG bridge. If you are traveling to the SF area or you are a local looking for a romantic night away this is the place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richaud

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased to hear about how much you enjoyed your stay with us at Cavallo Point.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next night away!

Euan Taylor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
Pacific Heights
Hotel Drisco
Hotel Drisco
#1 of 231 in San Francisco

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!