“Once an army post, now a gorgeous lodge overlooking San Francisco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oxnard, California
“Once an army post, now a gorgeous lodge overlooking San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This place used to be Fort Baker, situated at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge. The hotel has remodeled the old officer's home on the parade ground into unique rooms, keeping the old woodwork, tiles and fireplaces. Modern rooms have been built into the hillside, along with a spa. The old barracks have been redone and include one of the finest restaurants on the Sausalito side! Rocking chairs on the porch are the perfect place to drink a cup of coffee and marvel at the view of the bridge, the city and my favorite - the fog creeping over the top of the hills. We walked the hills behind the lodge and almost made it to Sausalito on foot, but bicycles would be a better option.

Great staff here too. They made sure we could stay (both times that we visited) in my husband's childhood home on the parade ground. Fond memories for him and a delight for me and our guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gardener4313
eclairs8, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post. It's wonderful to hear from all of our guests, especially those who have a personal connection to the history of Fort Baker. Your compliments are much appreciated and I will be happy to share them with our team.

We hope to welcome you back to Cavallo Point again very soon!

Euan Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here as a family (5) in July. Whilst we had some problems with our original booking and got moved rooms after the 1st night the service was outstanding throughout. The hotel staff could not do too much for us. A special word for Nancy Dubois (Head Concierge) who was exceptionally helpful. The food was also outstanding. The location is amazing.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea R
eclairs8, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about your room move during your recent visit. However, I am very pleased to hear that you and your family had enjoyed the rest of your stay. I will certainly let Nancy know of your kind compliments.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Our wedding at Cavallo was exceptional. Jessica was there to help us every step of the way and was so great with communication. She made sure that we had everything we needed and we couldn't have asked for more. She should get a raise! :) The perfect venue for a wedding, without a doubt.

If there were 5 more stars to rate this place, it would get all 10. The service team did an outstanding job, everyone was so helpful and accommodating. The scenery is truly something that you will never forget, wedged up against the golden gate bridge with a skyline view of the city in the background and the sound of foghorns in the close distance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank saskia i
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and for selecting Cavallo Point as your venue of choice for your wedding! We appreciate your compliments and I will be certain to pass them on to Jessica.

Please do visit us again very soon!

Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Let me start with the good. As everyone says, the lodge is in a beautiful and unusual setting. The adirondack chairs spread throughout the grounds just beg to be sat upon. And lovely rockers on the porches allow you to gaze across the water to the San Franciso skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge. It is truly unique. I was born and raised in San Francisco and appreciated the historical value of the property and the very unusual vantage point of the Golden Gate Bridge. I can only speak for the historic buildings, but the rooms are clean and fairly basic. I wouldn't expect more luxury given the age of the buildings. The bathroom was renovated and was beautiful, The staff at the lodge are for the most part, incredibly nice and incredibly pleasant. Perhaps not the most efficient or effective, but very nice nonetheless.
Now for the bad. The front desk and their computer had confused our room reservation. The staff person did not handle it professionally (although as I stated, she was very nice). Luckily I had my confirmation printed out and she was able to sort it out with help from the manager. When I explained what I was told by different people that I spoke with, the manager comped us our room for one night. It wasn't necessary, but was certainly a gesture we appreciated. We had to make multiple requests to have our room made up, although we were told that housekeeping would be there "right away." I do not fault housekeeping, but rather front desk and bell staff. We did not have a car and needed to be picked up at the Sausalito Ferry and driven to Cavallo Point. This is where it gets downright funny - we spoke to four different people, and were told four different versions of how we should arrange for pick-up at the ferry. Instead of dealing with the ridiculousness of the situation, we simply took a quick and inexpensive cab ride to Cavallo Point. Finally, the worst. We had a queen suite in the historic building which consisted of one queen bed in a separate bedroom, and a queen pull-out sofa in the living room. The mattress on the queen sleeper was so uncomfortable that I barely slept. My adult daughter and I decided to switch off - I took the more uncomfortable bed one night and she took it the other. Honestly, it was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever NOT slept on. Further, it had only a sheet and a very light weight cotton blanket on it. There were no extra blankets or pillows in the closet, so my daughter was very cold the night she slept in the living room. And the pillows were just as bad.
And the funniest and most annoying was our "hike." On Saturday from 10:00 until noon, a staff person led a hike to the Marin Headlands. We were running a minute or two late, and ran towards the group as it left. "Steve" the leader, did not stop to wait or slow down. In fact, he didn't slow down at all during the hike. If anyone stopped to take photos, they had to literally run to catch up. He knew virtually nothing about the history of the property, the Golden Gate Bridge, the marine life or anything else on the hike (aka "jog"). When he was asked questions, he shrugged his shoulders. But most amusing of all - we lagged a bit behind, and he took the group on another route back to the lodge. He never once looked back. He didn't check to see if we made it back or what had happened to us! All was well of course, but our running joke has now become that Steve was a dishwasher that volunteered to take people out on this hike becuase he might earn a little extra money.
I reviewed the restaurant, Murray Circle, separately. I cannot say enough positive things about the restaurant. The spa was fine, but overpriced. I enjoyed my massage, but my daughter's was apparently just okay. And the outdoor meditation pool was filled with nonguests using the spa for the day, so there were no chairs or chaise lounges available,
Cavallo Point staff need to be better trained, and there needs to be consistency. The staff need to communicate better with each other. Face time with staff was mostly very pleasant; but all the niceness in the world cannot make up for some inefficiencies and ineffectiveness.
Some new sofa beds and staff training will make all the difference in the world. And my final recommendation: Get rid of Steve! Unless he is an AWESOME dishwasher.

Room Tip: The "600" building looks directly across the lawn towards the bay and San Francisco. I wou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your good observations, as well as your good humor -I can happily confirm that Steve is not a Dishwasher! Steve is our Guest Services Manager at the Healing Arts Center Spa.

We can be challenged with meeting everyone’s expectations on our Marin Headlands guided hikes: starting as a group and keeping a pace that meets the individual needs.
I will share your feedback with Steve so that in future we can outline the ‘game plan’ and provide an improved experience for our guests.

Your comments regarding repeated requests for Housekeeping service are concerning to me. This is an area where we need to improve. Our standard is to deliver all guest requests in under 20 minutes, given that the lodge is on 35 acres. In situations where the request will take longer, our standard is to provide the guest with an informed and accurate time of service. For our longer staying guests, we aim to establish preferred housekeeping service times.

We appreciate your comments regarding our sofa beds which are best suited for younger children.

Please know that we are grateful for your constructive feedback and are committed to providing a consistent, professional, yet friendly service. To this note we are developing a quarterly management training program with an external luxury hospitality company, that will take us further forward to providing world class standards while maintaining our values.

dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

What a place, great accomodation, amazing view. We stayed in a contemporary room, and apart from the noisy toddler in the upstairs apartment it was perfect. We walked across the golden gate bridge, ferry across to Sausalito and then walked back to our room. A great place to stay, we will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Cavallo Point!

Please do come visit us again soon!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My new husband and I just got married at Cavallo Point on July 14, 2012. It was hands down, the best decision we have ever made.

We were originally supposed to get married at a different venue, but two months before our wedding day, we learned that that venue had been foreclosed and could no longer host our wedding. I had heard of Cavallo Point and decided to give them a call to see if they had our date available. I spoke with the catering/events manager Jessica, who told me the greatest news, that yes, they had our date available. Jessica immediately starting working with me to plan a wedding in two months. Jessica worked with us to create the wedding of our dreams. Cavallo Point is beautiful, the staff is wonderful, the lodge is classy, but I would have to say that the best part of our experience would be working with Jessica. She is the most kind, caring, and amazing person. I felt like she had our best interest at heart, and wanted to do everything in her power to give us a beautiful wedding day, and she did. She is very easy going, relaxed, calm, and just awesome at her job. Cavallo Point is lucky to have such a great employee in Jessica. She will forever be our savior, and we are so grateful to her and Cavallo Point.

The wedding was beyond perfect. The lodge is the most relaxing place you could ever imagine. We can't wait to go back, sit on one of the decks that overlook the bay and Golden Gate Bridge with a tasty beverage in hand.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for holding your wedding at Cavallo Point! I'm ecstatic to hear that you and your guests had a lovely experience and will share you comments with our team.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I decided to embark on a roadtrip of the Central and Northern California Coast for our honeymoon. Cavallo Point was our second stop and it was definitely the highlight of our trip. We had awful timing driving through the Bay and San Francisco in rush hour traffic. It was amazing to cross the Golden Gate Bridge and break through the fog and crazy traffic into this amazing oasis. Cavallo Point is the first exit once you cross the bridge and it's immediately apparent that you've entered a different world. The frenetic energy of the city is behind you and suddenly you're driving through a quiet eucalyptus forest.

The historic Cavallo Point buildings are strikingly beautiful with their white siding and red roofs. Once we entered the reception building, it was apparent that we were in for a treat. The interior restoration is impeccably executed. My husband and I are in architecture, and we probably took over three hundred pictures of the buildings and grounds.

The staff at Cavallo Point is top notch, from the parking attendants to the front desk staff and the servers. As we were on our honeymoon, the front desk staff generously upgraded us to a contemporary king suite with a view. Once we checked in, the valet loaded our luggage onto a golf cart and drove us up to our room. What a room and what a view! The suite includes a fireplace, sitting area, awesome window seat, and incredible spa bathroom with a deep soaking tub and rain shower. The use of materials and quality design in these rooms is excellent. Operable windows allow you to get great cross-ventilation, and a patio with adirondack chairs invite you to kick back and absorb the tranquility of the environment... and the view! When they said "room with a view," they meant it. We had a breathtaking view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Wow!

After complementary champagne in the bar, we had a delicious dinner at Murray Circle. The server was excellent, the chef came out and introduced himself (which is always fun), and the food was amazing!

One side note - if you're going to sleep with the windows open, you might want to bring ear plugs in case the fog rolls in. Fog = fog horns. The Golden Gate Bridge has two of them that run at short intervals (every 30 seconds or so) when it's foggy. It's kind of fun to hear them, but sleeping through them is a little tough. Definitely not a deterrent to staying at Cavallo Point, just something to be aware of.

We had such a wonderful time at Cavallo Point. We can't wait to return!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I'm so happy to hear that we were able to provide you and your husband with a lovely stay during your honeymoon. Your kind compliments are much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Cavallo Point!

Euan Taylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Pacific Heights
Omni San Francisco Hotel
Omni San Francisco Hotel
#3 of 233 in San Francisco
4.5 of 5 stars 4,248 reviews

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!