“Beautiful scenery and lots of fun!”

Garrod Farms Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: While this stable gives the usual riding lessons and horseback tours, it also offers winetastings at its very own winery.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We went on a Monday, and got a private trail ride because there were no crowds. Weekends are busy! My son has no riding experience at all, and I am an intermediate rider. They did a great job of pairing us with the proper horses, and our guide was friendly and knowledgeable about the open space preserve we rode in. I didn't stop in for a wine tasting, but I sure was tempted ;)

2  Thank Laura R

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a wonderful trail ride as part of a birthday adventure for a 15 year old boy who likes to do "firsts" on his birthdays. He was visiting us in California with his family for the first time and decided that it was time to try riding a horse too. We had 3 adults who had ridden before and 2 teenagers who had not. Everyone had a wonderful time and the views from the trail were spectacular! Our guides were friendly and full of information about the area. The horses were extremely well cared for and, unlike many trail ride stables, these horses actually were responsive and peppy and did not walk with their heads bowed down looking tired. The first time riders got just enough information to feel comfortable. We would definitely take visitors to Garrod's again!

1  Thank Chafffamilytravels
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've been riding here for about five years an I can safely say this is a great place for anyone to visit. The horses owned by Garrods range from easy trail horses and adorable kids' ponies to more advanced lesson horses. This location is easy to find and parking is always available.
The trails are wide and range from flat trotting and loping areas to steep hills for some hard riding. They give the most astounding views of the bay area and you can often see deer, birds, rabbits, and squirrels in their natural habitats. Hikers and bikers are encouraged to visit the trails as long as they keep a safe distance from horses.
Garrod Farms is also kid-friendly - the littlest ones get guided tours of the farm on pony-back, and I have yet to see someone unhappy. Kids aged 8 and above can take lessons or hit the trails. There is no need to worry about the horses - there are many who can easily be ridden by beginners, older individuals, and kids.
Safety is a priority and nobody mounts up without a helmet provided by the stables. The staff and trainees are friendly and kind. Teens can sign up for the trainee program and learn about horses while taking care of them and receiving lessons.
Although I am not old enough to try the wine, everyone who does is pleased. There is a nice, shaded picnic area to sit and relax in (people often hold small parties there).
During the summer there is a one/two week camp at a good price for riders of different levels. All of the instructors and trainers are knowledgeable and skilled. Riders who take lessons are also invited to participate in student shows twice a year.
If you are looking to board a horse there is always room available. If you are looking to lease, the staff can help you find a good horse at an affordable price. There are several different arenas (including dressage) available for use. The Mount Eden vaulting team visits there and there are often vaulting competitions (free to watch). Vaulting lessons are also available.
I recommend this place to anyone looking to have fun and explore the outdoors. There are many possibilities for both beginners and advanced riders alike. :)

2  Thank Zoe M
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have taken rec camp at Garrod farms and loved every minute! The instructors are nice.

Keith aged 10

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My fiance and I came here for Valentine's Day and loved it! He had only ridden a horse once, and I've been riding since I was nine, but none of that had anything to do with our experience.

What did? The healthy, happy, well-trained horses with their still-furry winter coats... The chatty, personable trail leader (Dixie, maybe?)... The VIEWS... the drive around the area... the sunny, warm morning weather.... the feeling of being in the saddle after a year of sitting at desks in grad school... the friendly people and private owners at the stable...

We can't wait to go back, especially for one of their last-sunday-of-the-months trail rides with champagne brunch and wine tasting. Trail rides are $45, these special events are $80; worth every penny for every sniff of horsey smells and every ache I'll have tomorrow!