“Finally in Santee”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This has been a long time in coming. The Santee location is every bit as good as the other in terms of taste plus there is plenty of free parking. Phil's simply means the best BBQ in the county - now in East County. Ribs! Get the ribs!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to Phil's because we received a gift card for the holidays. We loved it and we will definitely be going back again and again. Don't let the line fool you, it moves very quickly. Also, there was rain in the forecast the day we were there and they put covers up to protect the people in line. They have chicken, beef or pork, on or off the bone. We each had a pork sandwich and brought enough home for 2 meals. The sandwich comes with cole slaw that you can have on or off the sandwich. We also had the small (their description not mine) order of onion rings, beans and potato salad. We had wayyyyy too much food but everything was delicious. I personally liked the onion rings a lot. They did have a lot of batter (and it's batter not breading) but that suits my taste. They were crispy and not greasy and we both enjoyed them very much. We got the potato salad because we saw a lot of recommendations and we thought it was ok but not spectacular. I'm sure it's a matter of taste just like the onion rings. The cole slaw was good but could have used a little more vinegar and the beans were very good. NOTE - you order at the register and pick up your own food when it is done; however if you have a lot of plates they are happy to help you. There are also people bringing extra plates and napkins, clearing the tables, and bringing carry-out boxes as needed. The bbq sauce is wonderful and you can get it to go. It is slightly sweet and just a little spicy. All in all we were very happy and, as I said earlier, we will be going back again soon. It is a little noisy so don't go for a quiet, romantic dinner. You can also order ahead or get food to-go.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The line moves quickly, but the trick is to order ahead to-go, or go at an off time, like 4:30 p.m. before the dinner crowd. There are ribs, chicken and sandwich choices and portions are large- plenty to share. The barbeque sauce leans towards spicy. Cole slaw is delish. Service is very friendly and helpful. A huge plus is the large trough-like sink by the drink area to wash your hands (and arms, in our case). There's a small bar, but we weren't certain how to order a drink with our meal without sitting in the bar.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Have eaten at other Phil's BBQ locations in the San Diego area before and have enjoyed it, so we have been waiting for the Santee location to open as family lives near by. So we went and tried it and we were not disappointed, the BBQ is very good and the portions are large. The lines are long, but they move very fast and the service is very efficient. All in all Phil"s is probably one of the best BBQ restaurants in the San Diego area as I have tried many other places and they just don't compare.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Phil's recently opened in Santee and we went to check it out for lunch. Place order at counter, fill drinks, get seated and wait for portable buzzer signal to let you know food is ready. I knew it might be messy when I saw the large sink/hand washing area for diners. I had a BBQ chicken sandwich with coleslaw; my husband had pulled pork sandwich. A small order of incredible onion rings was our dessert. The chicken was a huge piece of breast meat, hot off the grill with yummy sauce. So much meat that I didn't eat most of the roll, which was large, fresh and tasty. My husband's pork sandwich was large and delicious - I tasted that also. The rings were the best I ever remember eating with an incredible batter. A small rings order seemed large to us; I would go there again just for a snack of their onion rings. This place is only about six miles from our home - too close, because I am already addicted to it. Service was fast, even with a line of us waiting inside the door. Self-serve refillable drinks with many choices. Very tasty food, good BBQ sauce, friendly employees. A winner, although not the healthiest place to eat. I deducted one star because it is so noisy there.