WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Carlton Oaks

Carlton Oaks
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Santee
Corona, California
“Looks Like I Went Back to 1970s”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed a total of three nights while in town on business. Thankfully someone else was paying or I would have felt I was wasting my money! This property is in serious need of TLC and renovation. The "Country Club" is anything but. It is more of an old motel with a golf course attached.

From the outside it looks old - a brown building with very worn carpet on the outside walkway. And as I opened my room door, I felt transported to the 1970s. The chairs and bedspreads looked very 70s. While the room was clean and somewhat comfortable, I would not stay here again.

My room had two double beds. Thankfully, I was by myself because one of the two beds was crooked. It sloped horribly so that one would be constantly rolling to one side. The other bed was fine, albeit hard. The pillows were extremely thin and I was very thankful to have brought my own.

The amenities were severely lacking in the room. There was no hair dryer. There was a fridge. However, the dial to regulate the temperature was broken and so my water all froze. I gave up and drank it room temp!

The phone in the room lights up at night and puts off a horrible light. If you are like me and want a dark room for sleeping - good luck. I put two washcloths over the clock and still could not block out the light. There was a clock radio in the room but it got very few stations. I did not trust it so used my cell phone and asked the front desk for a wake up call.

The view of the golf course was nice, but I could have done without the 5:30 AM lawn mowing!

We ate in the restaurant on Sunday and had very good food. I had the Eggs Benedict which was yummy. However, the service was very slow. Sadly, the weekday service does not start until 7AM and we were out the door every morning by 6:30.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SusanM05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

We enjoyed our stay the staff was courteous the room was nice and the oaks restaurant was very good. The beautiful landscape at the property was very natural and inviting. We would are for sure stay again. It's like a good bed and breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank 3791
Encinitas, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

This is by far one of the most disgusting, depressing, run down places we have ever stayed. Seriously in need of a major major facelift. Actually, a full demolition of the lodge rooms would be best. Very prison-like. Indoor/outdoor carpeting throughout the room was... gross. Teeny tiny bathroom. Free mold included. The beds were hard as a rock... the sheets were scratchy... pillows flat as pancakes. God only knows what a black light would find here. Note to file... "do not go barefoot in these rooms". No table or chairs in our room, so in order to relax, we had to sit up in our beds. Very uncomfortable. Wifi signal so weak it was unusable. Walls so thin we could hear our neighbors next door loud and clear. The view from our room was a run-down neighborhood with old rusted-out cars sitting in driveways. Mind you, I had originally booked a room with a golf course view, but when we checked in they said these rooms weren't available because they had a flood earlier in the week and were closed until the problem could be fixed. So, we ended up with the 'other' view (please see my attached picture). Service in the restaurant/bar sucks. Our room rate was $75. Really? For what? Let's just say that when our 1 night stay was over and we checked out, we ended up paying only $48. And I think even that was too much. 'Nuf said.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank jbpb
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

Clean not-so-cheap, no-smoking room for a quick night to spend close to Gillespie Airport. I went there on a Saturday and it was as I was expecting: young people were partying outside (what could I expect from a Saturday night??) and therefore it was not as quite as I would have desired! Good reviews on trip advisor, some of them are a little bit too tight, but overall I agree with a "average" final rating. I would go there again...but only if I get it for 65$ or less!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed at the Lodge at Carlton Oaks Country Club after a family event nearby. We booked last minute (booked Fri night, stayed Sat) and Carlton Oaks was had the only available non-smoking rooms. A word of warning - we booked through Orbitz, and the phone number for Carlton Oaks given on the Orbitz confirmation email actually belongs to a hotel in Kansas. Fortunately, I was able to use my smartphone to look up the real phone number and confirm. The man at the reservation desk was pleasant and polite, both on the phone and when we checked in. The room, while definitely out-dated, was scrupulously clean. The bed was a bit firm, and the pillows would probably be considered a bit flat by most people (I happen to like lower profile pillows, so the pillows here were my favorite hotel pillows in a long time.) The advertised free wifi signal was so faint as to be unusable. Since we mainly needed a cheap, clean place to stay, and I can tether my laptop to my cell phone, we were not particularly put out by the wifi situation. The hotel itself is pretty quiet, but whenever the guests in neighboring rooms turned on the shower or rolled their luggage down the walkway, we heard it. Fortunately, my husband and I are sound sleepers. Overall, Carlton Oaks provided exactly what we needed: a clean, cheap, non-smoking room. The polite staff and view of the golf course were a plus. If we ever need to stay overnight at a hotel in the Santee area again, we'll probably check Carlton Oaks first..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Upland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

The location is in a neighborhood that can only be found by GPS or bread crumbs. There was an alledge security shack staffed by an imaginary guard. If you squinted your eyes you may have seen one or if you had a few cocktails you would see one for sure. My room was located in a separate wing in which I thought I was heading off to a prison block. The room had the enviroment of a 1970's adult movie ready to be filmed. The only thing that was missing was the music to accompany it. I couldn't seem to place any part of my body let alone my luggage on the bed. I loved the polyester bed cover. I would be affraid to see what a black light would discover. This could make a great episode of CSI. The bed was missing the magic fingers to make the bed more complete. The T.V. was so small that I could've used a set of binoculars to vew the T.V. The hotel did not even have internet. I would've been happy to use dial up. Thank god, I had a wireless card. The bathroom counter was large enough to be used as a slab in the county coroner's office. There was also a small refrigerator that was the size you could store a human head if you were a serial killer "Dexter". The bathroom had various stages of mold on the floor where you could've played some form of checkers. But, why risk placing any part of your body on the floor. The shower probably was used in the film "Psycho". I could've used a garden hose to get better results. Or, better yet, I should've just lather up and used the sprinkler system on the golf course. For a suggestion I would recommend using the drive through car wash for your bathing needs. Food you need to truck it in. I don't think Domino's can find this on the map. Send out the search party. If there is a decision to film another horror movie I would recommend this place for a great location. I forgot about the brick walls that create a memory of prison if you ever get to the big house.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank richnanners
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Absolutely the worst experience in a hotel ever - and I stayed in some dumps back in my college days. Housekeeping quit early (11 am) one day, so our room was not cleaned. After we complained, they dropped off a bag filled with extra towels and some instant coffee at our door. Because there were pizza boxes that hadn't been removed from outside a neighboring room (again, no housekeeping service), we spent the night listening to animals root through the boxes and woke up to a disgusting disaster outside our room. VoIP phone seems like the only thing that has been done or added to this property in the last 20 years. I have to imagine having taken my family to stay in a hostel would have been a better idea.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Biggirldaddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santee
BEST WESTERN Santee Lodge
BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
BEST WESTERN Courtesy Inn
BEST WESTERN Courtesy Inn
#3 of 14 in El Cajon

Been to Carlton Oaks? Share your experiences!