“Nice way station on the Julian trip”
Review of Dudley's Bakery

Dudley's Bakery
Ranked #2 of 3 Bakeries in Santa Ysabel
Reviewed May 2, 2013

It's true that Dudley's has changed over the years - and some of the change has been really good. For instance, because these days you can select your own breads, either sliced, or not from the shelves (rather than having counter staff get it and put each loaf in the slicer for you), the line moves much faster, and even on the weekends, you may not encounter a line. Don't pass up the pastries - the bear claws and crisps are really good.

Dudley's now sells bread through other outlets, and the mass production means some of the old artisan quality is gone. But it is still good, and the flavors are different than you will find elsewhere. Yes, it costs $4.95 - have you priced supermarket bread lately??

It's an institution (I've been stopping for 35 years!) and a welcome sight; when you see it you know Julian is not far away. The parking lot is big, and the restrooms are clean. Make it a rest stop, and support this venerable local business. (The bread freezes really well, too.)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

When you drive out in the boonies, its nice to have a purpose or worthy destination. Dudley's has always been that kind of place. They have had some rough times over the years and are now celebrating their 50th year, apparently with their heads above water. I have been dropping in for 30 years and seen an ebb and flow of attention. Who owns it, who runs it now, I don't know. The bread has been a draw for thousands of people traveling the back country, coming to or coming back from Julian.

Its now $4.95 for any loaf and they have many new flavors available other what used to be the most popular, Sheepherders, a sourdough bread. Its not cheap and has gone up considerably from what it used to be at the bakery. While it has a much better texture and taste soon after buying it, after a few days it is just like any other bread you buy in the stores, so don't go crazy buying 5 loaves as they request unless you have lots of relatives.

On the weekends be prepared to stand in line to make your purchases, amongst bikers and families willing to pay the high prices. I don't know if the bread is as good as it was or not, but I know its made out of flour and water, don't expect too much.

Their snack shop never seemed to do that well and now its become an expensive meat sandwich shop, using their own breads, which makes sense and it probably should always have been that way. $7.95 per sandwich, made the way you want it. We bought the expensive bread and made paninis at home.

Making money in any business in the back country is difficult and mainly a weekend deal. I recommend you support the locals if you can, but don't go crazy.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Dudley's bread was a few years ago the BEST BREAD I EVER ATE. No longer. I don't know if there was a change of ownership, but there has certainly been a change of recipes.

My wife and I have, in the past, driven over a hundred miles from our home to make a large purchase of Dudley's bread for ourselves and our friends. We'd even take orders. We'd tell our friends that we were going to Santa Ysabel and ask them how many loaves they wanted. We'd buy, sometimes, several hundred dollars worth of bread for ourselves and others and never, not once were we able to arrive at home with all those loaves. Between the two of us, we'd usually eat a loaf or two by the time we arrived back home. No butter, no jelly, no topping at all. We'd eat the bread just as we bought it because it was so good.

Our favorite? Date Raisin Nut. Dudley's was not a 5 star bread, it was a 6 star, maybe a 7 star on a basis that 5 stars is almost perfect.

We haven't been to Dudley's for awhile and decided to go again. We bought the bread and started home. Opening the loaf, I took a slice and noticed it didn't have the "body", the heaviness that I expected. I took a bite and tasted it and was very, very disappointed. I've eaten better brand name Raisin Bread, bread that I can find at any supermarket, than this bread that I had driven over two hours to purchase, and had another two hours to drive to get home. And the other loaves were no better.

Evidently, Dudley's is living on reputation. I still see great reviews for their very average bread. Yes, I know that times have been tough and that cost cuts had to be made. But they've cut their quality. What a shame.

3  Thank Coover
Reviewed February 25, 2013

While famous for it's fresh made breads, Dudley's also prepares a number of satisfying and filling deli sandwiches that are made to order. It's great for an impromptu picnic. There's a small gift shop inside as well.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Dudley's has a large selection of breads that make great sandwiches. Their pastries and crispy cinnamon treats are also delicious. If they are open while you are on your way to and from Julian, you will not be disappointed with a stop and a purchase.