“We keep coming back”
Review of The Vineyard House

The Vineyard House
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Santa Ynez
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set in the heart of Santa Ynez, CA in a charming Victorian house built in 1907, with two beautiful indoor dining areas and two outside decks. The property is surround by large pepper trees that are over 100 years old and frames the stunning view of the surrounding mountains. Voted consistently "Best Outdoor Dining." Lunch is served daily from 11:30 until 3:00 with a wonderful variety of fresh salads, sandwiches, burgers, pizzas and pasta selections. The afternoon APPs menu is from 3:00 until 5:00 featuring appetizers, pizzas or salads. Dinner is served nightly Wednesday (closed Tuesday) through Sunday, from 5:00-9:00 and highlights fresh seafood, steak, pork, chicken and pasta selections that can be paired with a wonderful selection of local wines. Sunday Brunch: The Vineyard House is open at 10:00-3:00 for the best brunch in the Santa Ynez, CA.
Santa Ynez, California
“We keep coming back”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I just made a reservation for my mom's 91st birthday dinner at the Vineyard House. We are locals and go there often. The food is good and the ambience is great. It's reasonably quiet which is good for my mom's old ears. She loves the filet there. The restaurant is a remodeled victorian house and has a homey feel. This is a good place for people with a variety of tastes from steak eaters, like my mom to vegetarians like me. Since I do eat fish, I often order the coconut shrimp appetizer, one of their large salads and dessert. But I have had the butternut squash ravioli without the chicken and it was quite good. They do their best to adapt dishes when possible. I have also enjoyed the salmon. My husband likes the pork chops. Is it the best nice restaurant in the Valley? No. If you want a quality, gourmet restaurant for a special occasion, try the Ballard Inn, Mirrabelle or the new Hotel Corque. But for a reliably nice dinner we keep coming back to the Vineyard House.

1 Thank caseybemis

California
“Second time back and the last”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Was there on 8/9 and ordered the fried chicken salad and I could not eat it. The salad came with oil soaked battered chicken on top of greens. I have ordered this at other restaurents and it has been excellent. It was disgusting. My husband asked to speak to the owner/manager who came out and instead of getting treatment that one should get from the ownder/manager he was rude and combative in his attitude. He said it was a favorite among his customers. He did not say he was sorry. The first time I ordered the Cobb and it was bad too. We will not be returning. The waiter never came back to refill our ice tea or to ask how we like our lunch. There are excellent places in Santa Ynez so do yourself a favor go to The Red Barn or anyplace but here.

2 Thank bazaz
Atlanta, GA
“What a horrible disappointment in Santa Ynez!”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Trip advisor has never failed me till now and the Vineyard House failed miserably. We would have given 0 stars if trip advisor system had permitted. WE went based solely on the terrific reviews on trip advisor for our one year anniversary. Service was beyond horrible Waitress has no clue what wines were on the wine list nor could she advise. If they have a wine expert (sommelier or anything, they never approached us but rather the waitress relayed messages...)
After receiving appetizers 30 minutes apart mine fiorst and my husband's salad 30 minutes later, our entrees took another 40 minutes to arrive. When it finally arrived, over cooked, the waitress spilled water all over the table. The Food was terrible but after over an hour, we ate a portion to stave off hunger. When we complained to the waitress (and eventually the owner) we were informed brusquely that if we not finished our meals they would have comped them (this was not true, in fact, I had not finished the meal at all and left most of it over because the chicken was rubber... I had eaten four raviolis underneath the over cooked chicken. Then we were told that the one entree HAD been comped against the owner's wishes (presumably to protect the server's tip) and in fact, they comped a $10 appetizer instead and lied about the entree charge. The place is ridiculous; the staff does not know the food nor the wine they serve. The servers are clumsy and clueless spilling things all over patrons, the owner is surly and mean (in the British sense -- cheap and the American sense.. nasty). Avoid this place at all costs. You can spend your hard earned money anywhere else for a better meal, a better value and much better (and knowledgeable) service.

3 Thank Mia B
In a Vineyard
“Charming atmosphere and great food”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We arrived on a Wednesday evening in June having no idea that it was Jazz Under The Stars night where a small band plays on the porch - so great! We were seated right away (around 6pm). The staff was friendly and humorous - especially the man who seated us - I think his name is Jim? We felt welcome right away. Anyway, the wine selection is really great - of course filled with local choices - just what we wanted. I had the Qupe Syrah and my husband had the Gainey Sauvignon Blanc. For an entree, my husband had one of the specials - Hawaiian Escolar. He really liked it. I had the Pizza Margherita and it was delicious. For dessert, we had berry cobbler and my husband had a Cafe Mocha - both delicious!

The entertainment that night was very good and the lead singer came around the the tables during their break and chatted for just a bit. She was really nice.

We also met a very nice local couple sitting across a table from us that started chatting and we got to know how they moved there etc...we definitely saw ourselves in them someday,

Glad we got to know this charming place and can't wait to return on our next visit to Santa Ynez.

Southern Cal
“Sunday brunch 4 locals”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We enjoyed brunch on the veranda (10am-3pm) with the locals. Food was good, not at all expensive and the staff was friendly.

Been to The Vineyard House? Share your experiences!