“The SMOKING is beyond bad! Buffet very GOOD. Muy Bueno!”
Review of Chumash Casino

Chumash Casino
Ranked #8 of 27 things to do in Santa Ynez
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It should be illegal to allow smoking indoors. And apparently the casino could careless, because they allow this to go on. (I guess Indian Casinos are exempt from California State Laws.) Second hand smoke kills. Plain and simple it does. You can go upstairs and play in the non smoking area if you're inclined to be in a "back room" style playing area with no atmosphere at all.

As for the machines.... there is NOTHING fun about watching your money disappear., nothing.

I'm a talker... 99% of the people I spoke with claimed to have won nothing. The couple of people that I noticed with big wins mentioned to me that the win covered their losses. I did speak with one lady (black cape, platinum wig, who claimed to have won 5 cars there.)

There should be laws to protect people from the smokers, and laws to protect the Senior Citizens from loosing all their money.

I don't mean to knock anyone... but it's a known fact that as we age, we loose certain mental skills and the casino knows this good and well, the casino has these cartoon style gaming machines that these seniors sit at for hours on end., I spoke to this one man in his 70's playing a penguin machine., he had the joy and glee of a 5 year old and yet had was down to his last dollar on the machine. (very sad) His wife picked him up, rubbed his back and told him it was time to go and it reminded me of trying to get a child to leave a playground. He pleaded to his wife for more money. (very sad.)

There should be laws. The Casino should be enjoyed... but rules should be in place. We wouldn't let a 5 year old go in there and play, should we allow some seniors with not as sharp of a mental capacity? It's a fact of life., we should protect our senior citizens from places like this and we should protect the rest of the community from people who smoke indoors near people knowing good and well that second hand smoke is known to kill people.

On a positive note.... the Buffet... Yummie. Who is making that Flan? (Tasty.) the Chili Colorado... again... major yum. And the lady who makes the fajitas and the won-ton. (Although, the Won-Ton reminded me of what dirty socks must taste like, truly terrible.) Lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely lady chef though. On our stay she was always kind and friendly and is a expert chef providing tasty food.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I go once a year around Christmas and the place is verybusy. The smoke kills me every time! They need to get a better ventilation system. I usualy stay on the second floor in the non-smoking area but the better tables are downstairs.

No one will mistake this palce for Vegas but it is a nice diversion from the usual tourist places in Solvang.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I have been going there for years. We would win a little here and there but mostly lost over time, expected that at a casino since they have the house odds. Throughout the last year we noticed a pattern of dealers getting higher hands consistently. At Texas Hold em we would get a straight, they would get a higher straight/flush, pair, etc. We started counting the hands that the dealers won against 5 players opposite them and the numbers were CONSISTENTLY STAGGERING. We regularly see the dealers get runs of 4 to 6 hands or more where they beat most if not all of the other 6 people at the table. We would move from one table to another (thinking it was just dealer luck) and saw it happening over and over. The last 10 times we went we saw this in play with only a few small wins for the customers to bait them along. It is clear that they are manipulating the cards in the shuffle machine. I have a friend that deals there and he confirmed "the casino does not admit it but it is impossible for me to deal so many hands in my favor--the poker chips have microchips inside that can be read by the tables to show where and how much the bets are, the players cards are scanned to show how many are seated, the shuffler is sophisticated enough to read each card in the deck by suit and number. If a card is missing it will tell them i.e. king of hearts is missing.
Totally rigged and it took us a long time to figure this out. All you have to do is watch the table yourself and count how many hands the dealer takes all or close to all. Not just because of the house odds being in their favor--we know about that-- but because they simply have a better hand. I asked myself over and over "what are the odds the dealer could get that many better hands without help?" If you watch it long enough it will become clear to you as well.
Don't get me wrong, I have seen a very few people win and walk away. The play fair occasionally (but not very frequently). In short, they cheat, and they make a show of hand shuffling the cards before putting them into their controlled machine. No doubt about this....

If you ever played this game upstairs where the customers play against each other you will notice the frequency of good hands i.e. straights, flushes, trips, etc. are MUCH fewer and farther between (like 50 times less). They keep you baited with better hands at the dealer tables but kill you by cheating.... Also, the buffet was once decent but has gone way downhill.

They are catering mostly to seedy low lifes that do not know/care about the difference...

3  Thank mariet33
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I never thought I would advise gamblers to play the nearly-impossible-to-win-anything California Lottery, but if you want to throw your money away, then play that game and avoid this casino where you have even a lesser chance of winning.

This is a real shame because at one time, this was a very nice casino that gave gamblers some chance of winning. I have been going to this casino since it was nothing but two big tents but after my last visit, I will never go there again. The reason is because of the slow but steady tightening up of the slots (which is all I play).

I think this casino only survives because there is no other one within 200 miles of it. It also helps that it is in the middle of a valley where there many wineries. So go up there for the wine and avoid the gamble.

2  Thank MaxieD_13
Reviewed May 13, 2013

notas much is offered here than at other casinos . since there is no competition, i guess they can be kind of complacent.
this place doesnt compare to the tachi or any of the los angeles area casinos. also cell service is horrible